Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your CPAP is multi-voltage, correct?
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second 8bitsandwich...you don't sound like a minimalist so I would go for the A45 and seriously underpack it and carry it on on the way there. That way you can stow your CPAP machine in an end pocket and know it will arrive safely. I would also take a shopping tote tucked inside for use on your travels if needed, and to bring back any fragile souvenirs you want to bring back, plus the CPAP, making that your carry-on for the overhead compartment. Everything else gets put in the A45 which gets checked on the way back.

I like a big messenger-style bag for my daily carry while traveling—I feel more secure with something slung around my body rather than a backpack when I'm on public transportation. The Makers Bag is too open for me for travel (tho I love it everyday)...so maybe one of the briefcases that zip shut? I like to have enough room for umbrellas, maps, reading material, computer if nec, and be able to stuff my coat in it when I check the bag at museums. I use a smaller inner bag (that lives clipped into the bigger day bag) with a small strap to keep the most valuable things with me: wallet, phone, etc.

This way when you are on the move, you can sling one bag over a shoulder and have access to the contents, and put the backpack on over it, and be pretty balanced. While I myself would probably pick the A30, putting an A30s's amount of stuff in an A45 would give you the flexibility you want.

Forum Member
    Portland-ish OR
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had trouble sending souvenirs back from Italy through the post office in Florence, the package never arrived, but I have had good luck from other places. Now, I don't send anything back and only bring back what can fit in my luggage. Scarves are very light and thin.... Maybe i didn't fill out the customs forms correctly, mostly guessed on what to fill in on what line. Maybe if you ship things back, have the store pack and ship it, or go through DHL, UPS or FedEx.

I always try to follow the "take half as many clothes and twice as much money" school of packing. I only take things that will go together with each other and things i will wear at least 3 times.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to disappear for a few days, I've been needing to put homework first. (I'm in grad school.) I expect to be able to reply more fully this weekend. Thank you for the ideas and suggestions, everyone!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, finally all the replies!

@ 8bitsandwich, who I somehow missed replying to before: I'm not ready to go quite that light! Thanks for the encouragement, though.

@ 1holegrouper: You suggested buying travel clothing. I'm not sure why it feels so much more reasonable to buy a new suitcase (which will after all only be used when I travel) than to buy new clothes (which I can wear whether I'm traveling or not). I'm still thinking about that. Maybe thinking about it will teach me something about myself!

@ ceb: It is multi-voltage, but I hadn't even thought to check. Thanks very much for the reminder that a plug converter doesn't do it all!

@ blueflax: I'm adding a shop bag to my packing list! I'd been going to take a Chico bag, I like how small they fold up--but your point about using a bag to bring back souvenirs is well made. I'd rather have a shop bag's structure for that. And regarding daily carry: I do plan to have a Side Effect inside my daily carry so that I can pull it out when I have to check the outer bag at museums and the like.

@ sboussios: Thank you for your experience with shipping! If I'm faced with a confusing customs form, I'll ask for help with it to increase my chances of actually getting my stuff.

-----

And @ everybody: A friend reminded me that she has an A45, so I went over to see it in person, try it on, etc. I ended up deciding on the A45! If I can pack lightly enough, I'll put my Co-Pilot inside the A45 for hauling around airports etc and then pull out the Co-Pilot on board for the things I'll need or want during the flight. I don't know if I'll be able to pack quite that lightly, but I like the idea as a stretch goal. (Ballistic A45 to hold its shape well even if I manage to underpack, and halcyon Co-Pilot so I can squish it into the A45 more easily.) The A45 will actually fit all my flights' carry-on restrictions for this trip.

I test packed the Co-Pilot with my usual in-flight stuff, and was pleased that it all fit with a bit of room left over, since I switched from my old and bulky noise-cancelling headphones to noise-cancelling earbuds.

I also got the new 1" padded hip belt to use with the Aeronaut, since I have found hip belts very useful even on bags that don't have an internal frame. I have to loosen the shoulder straps just a little to let the belt sit at a useful level on my hips, but that's no problem because the sternum strap keeps them from sliding off my shoulders.

Thank you all again for your help! I wouldn't have been seriously considering the A45 without you.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did the trip go?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    How did the trip go?
    It hasn't happened yet, I'm going at the end of July. I did get an Aeronaut 45 (in Forest, hooray!) and used it on a ten-day trip late this spring which I hadn't planned yet when I posted this. I decided to treat that as a trial run for this upcoming trip. The A45 worked great for that trip, so I think it will for this one also. I took along a rolled-up Small Yeoman for additional space if needed, and I did end up expanding into it... partly because while I was in Seattle I went to the TB store and picked up just enough additional stuff to make it hard to fit everything into the A45. :-)

I also sat down after the trip and made notes about what *not* to bring on the next trip. I think that was time well spent!

Things not to take to London and Helsinki, even though it was useful in Seattle and/or Hawaii:
    * Snorkeling equipment :-)
    * Laptop (I did need it on my last trip for schoolwork, but I won't be taking any classes during the trip to Europe)
    * Swimsuit, unless I think I'll want to swim in the hotel pool in Helsinki, if it has a pool
    * Clothing fancy enough to attend a ceremony
    * Sandals
    * Two Turkish towels (one yes, two no, even though it does make a nice scarf, but I only need one nice scarf)

Things that worked well:
    * 4 pairs of underwear let me wash them at a reasonable rate, so I wasn't doing laundry every night
    * A large Snake Charmer made a great clean/dirty cube for underwear and socks
    * Clothes: I took 2 casual dresses, 2 pairs pants, 2 shirts, 1-2 pairs leggings to wear under the dresses for colder weather, 2 pairs Jockeys Skimmies to wear under the dresses in warmer weather. That worked well: I had enough variety to keep from being bored with my clothes, and could switch things around to keep it interesting, but I didn't have a lot to carry.
    * 3 bras--I could get by with two but prefer to have one more in rotation
    * Tiny toiletries: I got some small tubes on Amazon and transferred my liquid toiletries into them. The quantities worked out very well, and all the toiletries together took up about half a 3DCOC... until I added the small can of Static Guard.
    * Small Yeoman duffel rolled up in the A45 for additional space
    * Small Shop Bag got more use than I expected--I used it a lot of the times that I'd expected to use the Co-Pilot
    * Of course my CPAP
    * Small first aid kit in a small double organizer pouch and mini first aid kit in mini pouch--I'll post about those sometime. I did end up needing them.
    * Raincoat: Seattle and London each have a reputation for being a place where a raincoat would be useful

Things I wished I had brought:
    * Extra pseudoephedrine (Sudafed): I take it on plane flights to help my ears clear--it was recommended by a doctor because I have trouble with that. I packed one dose per flight, but I hadn't thought about the length of the flights; I ended up wanting to take a second dose before the descent began.
    * A second pair of shoes that were actually comfortable, instead of just theoretically comfortable. Long story.

Things I haven't quite got figured out yet:
    * What to use as a personal item on the flight--everything I try is slightly too small (because when I go up to a larger bag, I try to stuff more into it). A Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Co-Pilot, and Mini Yeoman were each *almost* big enough. :-) The Mini Yeoman was one of the things I picked up at the TB store during the trip.
    * Laundry soap: the stuff I took (the cute little Travelon sheets) didn't work well. I've got another kind of laundry detergent sheets now which I'll try on the next trip.

I am loving the colors of the Forest A45, Aubergine Co-Pilot, and Burnt Orange Small Yeoman together!

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. One of the dresses and both shirts were merino wool, from Ibex or Icebreaker. Oh, and a cardigan I forgot to mention--also merino wool, that one Eileen Fisher (found on eBay)! And one of the pairs of pants was wool/cotton blend. So far merino is upholding its reputation for being able to wear it multiple times without it getting stinky! That helped a lot with the laundry situation. The other pants were some technical fabric from Athleta. They were comfortable, but I did have to wash them more often. If I can find more wool or wool/cotton pants I like that fit, I'd like to pick up another pair.

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have converted to smartwool only socks 2 years ago and it is everything everyone always said they would be. Warm feet in winter, cool feet in summer, no stink, could wear multiple times before washing etc. I have had 8 pairs of socks (2 crew, 3 no shows and 3 ballet flat liners) for 2 years and not had to replace a single one.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Smartwool cable crew socks, but for me they're the exception to merino's "no stink" nature--my feet tend to get smellier in them than in other socks! They do last well. I've worn out a few pairs, but it takes several years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2