1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Field Journal Notebook hole spacing

I am considering the FJN but I want to be able to punch my own paper for it. Is the hole spacing for the FJN a standard one? I am wondering if I am likely to find a hole puncher with the same spacing.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @Cristina,

The paper size used in the Field Journal Notebook is one of the standard US sizes, but it's not common. The half U.S. letter size paper with 3 rings is used for planners (e.g. Day Runner, Day-Timer, Franklin Covey), so you can find inserts made for that size paper. You can also find manufacturers like Avery will make index dividers and other items, including paper refills, sized for this notebook.

There are mini-hole punches sold for this paper size, such as this Mini-3-hole punch from Staples that some forum members report using (note that it is only sold on-line, and is rated for 6 pages). Various forum members use heavy duty paper punches with adjustable settings for the hole placement for punching through several pages at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    I am considering the FJN but I want to be able to punch my own paper for it. Is the hole spacing for the FJN a standard one? I am wondering if I am likely to find a hole puncher with the same spacing.

Thanks!
    HTH

moriond

ETA: I just realized that you're in the UK. The Staples link and the references to the Day-Timer, Day Runner, Franklin Covey, etc. products are their U.S. web sites. I don't know whether the Avery UK site, for example, offers the same range of paper size products. An adjustable paper punch should work well for you in any case.

ETA2: You can also buy the Staples Mini 3-Hole Punch for the 5.5" x 8.5" paper of the FJN from Amazon (U.S.):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GDEVXVC/
    Maybe you can place an order through Amazon UK, or have it shipped to you. I put in the Staples model (21419-CC) into the Amazon Office Products search box to find this.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-06-2017 at 04:50 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for the info!

Yes because I am in the UK I need to be able to get my own supply or make it, but I can get things sent to me from the US so the mini hole punch might be just the thing.

Your links are most helpful. Thanks again!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just realised that I would rather make sure I can get a supply of something here, even if I decide later on to make my own. Does Filofax paper with the six holes fit?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just realised that I would rather make sure I can get a supply of something here, even if I decide later on to make my own. Does Filofax paper with the six holes fit?

Avery's accessories fit great!
    They have 6 holes, just like the Franklin Covey punch which align with the FJN rings without adjustment.

I don't know if the UK has 2 holes punches, but a traditional U.S 2 holes punch, used twice on the middle ring hole, works perfectly to make 3 holes punches pages that fit in the FJN.

Ilkyway bought a 3 holes punch in Germany, I think it is adjustable.

There is now, a trend back to wire bind planner, when that happens, trend following people tend to de-stash. You might be able to get the punch and other accessories from them, usually at an attractive discounted price. Just follow one of the numerous ring binder enthusiasts' blogs on the web.

In addition, Etsy small businesses sell a plethora of useful and, cute items for ring binders organizers.

It is official, I am now daydreaming of accessorizing, yet another FJN, just to use cute office supplies items in it.

Edited because first post was written before the first cup of tea and without checking sources, because a foggy brain knows better, right?

Thanks Moriond for providing the great info below.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-06-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cristina,

If you are ordering from the Amazon U.S. site, you can also add onto your order various Avery products that will fit your FJN. For example, here's a link to their write-on divider tabs (I found these at my local office supply store):
    https://www.amazon.com/Avery-Plastic...dp/B0045Z4PGQ/
    The same product page has information about other items, like sheet protectors. There are also items like their binder pockets:
    (Avery Mini Assorted Binder Pockets for 5.5 x 8.5-Inches Binders, Pack of 3 (75308))
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JW6G2U/

See my post (#10) in another thread about Seatback organizers, for convenient accessories for the new Side Kick. This product was suggested for the FJN as a way of holding (letter) paper and viewing both sides of the page. (Knitters like to use this for patterns) And it's a good way to hold items in the Side Kick

Quote Originally Posted by monisbrett View Post
    They are called "Avery Mini Assorted Binder Pockets for 5.5 x 8.5-Inches Binders."
    You can also find them on Amazon.
    Here are some pictures of how they work.

The paper sizes (Filofax, etc.) are slightly different. Here's a web site that explains things:
    Planner Size Comparison – The Ultimate Guide to Planner Binders - Sarcasm and Sweet Tea

I'll excerpt their chart:

Field Journal Notebook hole spacing-ringed-planner-dimensions-3-png

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Field Journal Notebook hole spacing

@moriond, thank you for the links, I love the binder pockets!

I think that if I do get the FJN I will have to get an adjustable hole punch. Our A5 paper will fit just fine but I can't find any pre-punched paper with the correct hole spacing. Either there is six hole diary paper without the centre hole, or there is the two-hole paper (again without a centre hole).

Luckily I was able to find an adjustable punch easily on Amazon UK:
    Niceday Adjustable Heavy Duty 4 Hole Paper 16 Sheets
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B6KCQ..._-vEVybGSE7FKV

Since I would like the FJN for notes and drawing rather than using planner inserts, this seems like an acceptable solution. Can't wait until the May debut to see what update they have planned!

I hope this helps anyone else in the UK or Europe.

Thanks again.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I would like the FJN for notes and drawing rather than using planner inserts, this seems like an acceptable solution. Can't wait until the May debut to see what update they have planned!
    Sorry for the derail, but is the FJN getting an update? May debut? Inquiring minds, you know! I use multiple FJNs for a variety of home/work organizational duties. Super useful and cute to boot!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threeteez View Post
    Sorry for the derail, but is the FJN getting an update? May debut? Inquiring minds, you know! I use multiple FJNs for a variety of home/work organizational duties. Super useful and cute to boot!
    Oh crud. Sorry, I went and found the post I was thinking of but I might be having trouble reading the dates the right way round (US VS UK). I read it as November 2nd not February 11. I think Darcy was referring to the update that has come already, with the inserts?

https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...otebook-2.html