Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing Tri-Star (cubes, etc)

I just got my new Tri-Star. I got one small packing cube and one medium. I'm now wondering if I should have gotten more. A couple of questions:

What is the most efficient way of packing the thing - putting the most in it - without splitting it out or making it bulge?

What combinations of different sized cubes fit in each section? I'll use the middle section for packing, also (computer in Brain Bag).

I'm an overpacker trying to go to carry-on only. Packing Tri-Star (cubes, etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most important thing is to pack all the way to the edges. If your pile of clothing bulges in the center, the bag will also bulge. Large clothing items generally work best in the rear (large) compartment or middle compartment. Shoes, toiletries, and electronics fit well in the front divided compartment (of course, you can put clothes there too).

For my Tri-Star, I have one small and one medium packing cube, two Packing Cube Backpacks (large cubes would have worked too, but I wanted two different colors in case my other half and I wanted to share a bag), and an 18" Eagle Creek pack-it folder. Generally, I use one backpack cube in the back and the small and medium cubes in the front, and use the middle compartment for either the folder or my laptop. As a rule: each compartment will fit one large cube or one small + one medium cube. You can use any permutation of this combo that you wish.

IMO, the Brain Bag is probably a bit large for the center compartment of the Tri-Star. It is, in fact, 3 liters larger in volume. To prevent the TS from bulging with the BB in the center compartment, I would suggest having the laptop in the BB but nothing else, and using the compression straps to make the backpack as flat as possible. To be honest, I'd be more inclined to simply wear the BB on my back and use a shoulder strap for the TS. If neither is overpacked, you should be allowed to carry on both bags with no problems.

Forum Member
    Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do a small on the front right, a medium on the front left, and a large in the back compartment. Most of my clothes go in the large in the back. I always take an extra pair of shoes with me, those go in the small cube in the front right. Socks, underwear, gym clothes, etc. go in the medium cube in the front left.

I usually also carry my S25, so much like you I use the middle section for packing. If needed, I have an extra small cube for another pair of shoes in the middle compartment. I also drop in my spiff kit (standard) and empty travel tray into the center.

Depending on how much you stuff the cubes, I find this to be a very manageable way to pack. Obviously if you ditch the shoes it's even easier. I can get through 4-5 days with this load out on the Tri-Star, any longer and I usually take my A45.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second the Eagle Creek packing folder. I like the Specter fabric in the medium size.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kplmin777 View Post
    I'm an overpacker trying to go to carry-on only. Packing Tri-Star (cubes, etc)
    Greetings,
    Perhaps you might find the information at onebag.com useful. In my quest to travel lighter, I selected one or two things to change at a time. Gradually I was able to convert to one bag travel.

Packing cubes, stuff sacks, and pouches are great to keep everything organized. The Travel Tray is fabulous when I'm traveling and I also find them handy at home.

Good luck! elisa

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    The most important thing is to pack all the way to the edges. If your pile of clothing bulges in the center, the bag will also bulge. Large clothing items generally work best in the rear (large) compartment or middle compartment. Shoes, toiletries, and electronics fit well in the front divided compartment (of course, you can put clothes there too).

For my Tri-Star, I have one small and one medium packing cube, two Packing Cube Backpacks (large cubes would have worked too, but I wanted two different colors in case my other half and I wanted to share a bag), and an 18" Eagle Creek pack-it folder. Generally, I use one backpack cube in the back and the small and medium cubes in the front, and use the middle compartment for either the folder or my laptop. As a rule: each compartment will fit one large cube or one small + one medium cube. You can use any permutation of this combo that you wish.

IMO, the Brain Bag is probably a bit large for the center compartment of the Tri-Star. It is, in fact, 3 liters larger in volume. To prevent the TS from bulging with the BB in the center compartment, I would suggest having the laptop in the BB but nothing else, and using the compression straps to make the backpack as flat as possible. To be honest, I'd be more inclined to simply wear the BB on my back and use a shoulder strap for the TS. If neither is overpacked, you should be allowed to carry on both bags with no problems.
    I bet the O.P. meant to say Brain Cell and not Brain Bag?
    Otherwise this does make any obvious sense really?

I have tried both with and without cubes in my T.S and these days usually just go without as anything I organize in just takes more space and the T.S. already is pretty handily divided for me.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I bet the O.P. meant to say Brain Cell and not Brain Bag?
    Otherwise this does make any obvious sense really?
    Considering they said they'll use the centre for packing, it could very well be a Brain Bag. I'm assuming by that the OP meant the laptop won't even be in the TS (whether or not that's an external BB or BC).

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    Considering they said they'll use the centre for packing, it could very well be a Brain Bag. I'm assuming by that the OP meant the laptop won't even be in the TS (whether or not that's an external BB or BC).
    Well the T.S. would fit into a BB but I don't think the BB will fit into a T.S.?
    I use a Brain Cell in the middle of mine all the time.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Packing Tri-Star (cubes, etc)

Thanks everybody. I meant I would carry the brain bag and the tristar and use the center section of the tristar for packing stuff other than a computer.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I originally purchased a small PC, PCSB (sort of like a medium PC) and a large PC. Given the tendency of the TS to bulge, 2 mediums or 2 PCSB's might be a nice option. I did end up getting an Eagle Creek 18" Pack-it Folder. Sometimes I take it, sometimes I don't - but it can add some structure that reduces footballing. Adds some extra weight, so I leave it out when I'm more space and weight conscious.
    Last edited by squaredot; 03-13-2017 at 05:29 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by squaredot View Post
    I did end up getting an Eagle Creek 18" Pack-it Folder. Sometimes I take it, sometimes I don't - but it can add some structure that reduces footballing. Adds some extra weight, so I leave it out when I'm more and space weight conscious.
    There are two types of Eagle Creek Pack-It Folders. The regular fabric is on the heavier side. I prefer the Specter fabric which is a thin silnylon. It's very thin and light and weighs almost nothing.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    There are two types of Eagle Creek Pack-It Folders. The regular fabric is on the heavier side. I prefer the Specter fabric which is a thin silnylon. It's very thin and light and weighs almost nothing.
    Indeed! I purchased the product before they had the lighter-weight material version. Since I don't use it as much as I thought I would, I haven't bothered to replace a functional-enough item with the lighter variant.

I most certainly would have purchased the lighter version instead, and perhaps I'd use that version more - but for me, changes in my packing style and the types of clothing I pack has moved me away from using the folder. I don't pack enough dress shirts that require a folder to stay crisp to warrant using the space less flexibly.

The 18" is almost perfectly sized for the rear section, no matter what material it's made out of. The original is a claimed 454g/16oz, while the Specter is claimed 254g/8.98oz. Assuming that includes minimal packing or something, as massing mine shows 423g/14.9oz for the folder and "board", with 77g/2.7oz being the "board". I believe the Specter version ships with a lighter folder "board" inside, and a lighter backer to get to the lighter weight, along with the change to silnylon.
    Last edited by squaredot; 03-13-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the packing folder for T-shirts, jeans, skirts, underwear. Basically everything, because I like that it compresses everything into the perfect shape to slip into the back of my WF.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my tristar.
    I have purchased the cubes designed for it which I think work better than other brands as they are designed for this bag.
    The small I use for shoes or flip flops
    The medium I use for sock underwear and swimwear
    The large for t shirts, shorts, pants ect. sometimes I will have a pair pants that are not in the folder put them in first then the large cube on top and use the compression straps.
    In the center depending on my needs might go a pair of flip flops, my 3-1-1 tom bihn an eagle creek packing folder which will have some dressier shirts.
    I use the water bottle compartment for my electric toothbrush and the zipper parts for smaller items.

I carry a camera bag and that is where I also have my ipad and tech stuff.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you guys prefer the Eagle Creek folders over other TB packing cubes?

Do you think if I got the medium folder that I could also fit a spiff kit and travel tray in the middle?

One about the smaller eagle creek folder? Does it hold very much?

Thanks! You guys are awesome!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast