Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Columbus, OH
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody tried attaching a shoulder strap (maybe the PCSB/SE/SK strap) to a Shop Bag? If so, did it work out for you or was it awkward? Am not at home to try this myself at the moment, but was wondering about the possibility of carrying it like a shoulder bag.
    "Here's my life. I have to mine it, farm it, trade it, tenant it, and when the lease is up, it cannot be renewed."
    --Jeanette Winterson

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AmyMo: The handles of the shop bags work fine over your shoulder, and the bag tucks under your arm.

Are you wanting to carry a shop bag cross body?

Or just over your shoulder with the bag hanging low at your hip?

Forum Member
    Columbus, OH
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both I think potentially. I'm considering my options for personal item to go with my A45 in Backpack mode. In the past I've used a large knit bag from Target that had carry handles plus a shoulder strap and I switched it around a lot depending on comfort and whether or not I needed my hands. In thinking about the shop bag instead of that Target bag, it occurred to me that the only thing different is the lack of a shoulder strap.

Also, while I can usually get the handle straps of the Shop Bag over my shoulder, it's a snug fit, and I don't know how that will be with the A45 on my back at the same time.
    "Here's my life. I have to mine it, farm it, trade it, tenant it, and when the lease is up, it cannot be renewed."
    --Jeanette Winterson

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I understand. I don't think there's a good strap attachment place for a shoulder strap. There's two o-rings, but I wouldn't count on them as should strap attachment points. You might want to look at a different type of bag that is designed for crossbody wear.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The shop bag is a really great bag but the things that make it a quality bag also make it hard to compact into an easily stowable bag.

The large shop bag will *just* fit into a size 1 stuff sack. The large shop bag can also fold into one of it's side pockets and will squish relatively flat. That's usually how I carry it if I'm putting it in another bag. I have a sidekick, and it takes up a fair amount of space in the side kick. I think the bag would fit in a side effect, but you wouldn't have room for much else.

If I had it in the s19, I'd either roll it up (in or out of the stuff sack) and put it in one of the side pockets or the main water bottle pocket, or fold it flat and put it somewhere in the main compartment, I believe it'd also fit in the bottom pocket either rolled or flat.

If I was going to carry it with a large backpack like the A45, I'd wear the shop bag on one shoulder with the skinny part of the shop bag strap tucked under the backpack strap of the A45 so the weight of the backpack would keep the shop bag from falling off my shoulder.
    Last edited by Kelly S; 07-05-2017 at 12:06 PM.

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wonder if doing a wee bit of bag surgery would make this practical? something like having a tiny bit of webbing and two d-rings attached to the top center of the bag, maybe centered above each side pocket (assuming this could be a job for a seamstress or cobbler, someone who'd be able to do some heavy-duty stitching vs DIY)?

there have definitely been times when i wished that i'd have had a crossbody shoulder tote much like a shop bag available to use.

Forum Member
    Columbus, OH
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I think what I actually need is a Parental Unit or perhaps a Makers Bag. I just don't have either of those at the moment and am trying to improvise. I have too much for a Large Cafe Bag, thanks to the camera, but not really enough to justify the S25, plus that limits my ability to use the A45 in backpack mode. I'll sort something out in the next four days.
    --Jeanette Winterson

Southern California
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jujigatame;142075]I really regret not buying more sitka.

York, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a small shop bag in NWS and tend to just have it loose, I haven't travelled with it yet though.
    It's a bit of a tight fit in the smallest size Q-kit, and unsure about squashing the handles.
    I will probably use some kind of version of rolling it up to fit in a pocket when I do use it inside another bag.
    Thanks for the great pic Ines.

Jaffa
    S25 Black halcyon/NWS: S19 Grey/UV: WF Black/NWS: Co Pilot Grey/UV, & various little pouches all purples/grey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2