Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side pockets size: A30 vs D36?

I'm currently using my A30 as a gym bag/swim training bag. My training shoes (men's size 9.5) are a tight squeeze in the side pocket. Can anyone out there in Bihnion-land confirm if the side pockets in the D36 (aka Medium Road Duffel) are the same size, or perhaps larger than those in the A30?

A.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the A30 and the D36.

A30 dimensions 19.7" x 12.6" x 7.9"
    D36 dimensions 21.5" x 11.5" x 9.5"

It's sort of hard to measure because the bags are so floppy, but I feel the side pockets in the D36 are bigger than the A30, but they're really a different dimension.
    So it depends on whether your tight squeeze is length or width or height of the side pocket.

The D36 is a narrower bag by about an inch than the A30, so if length of the side pocket is a problem, the A30 has longer side pockets.
    However, side pockets in the D36 are wider and deeper than the side pockets of the A30.
    And the D36 is much floppier than the A30 (if both are ballistic) because there is no lining or foam backing in the D36, so there's more give to the D36.

I actually prefer my D36 to my A30 because I never carry in backpack mode.
    I feel the D36 has just that little bit more room that I need, and it folds down smaller for storage, almost like a Yeoman duffle.

You could also try putting your shoes in shoe socks or a shoe bag and putting them in the main compartment and your clothes in the side compartments.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-21-2017 at 05:46 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much @bweaves. I've found another couple of threads (here and here) discussing the D36, and I'm thinking it might be ideal for my planned usage. Despite your great photos - thank you - it's not clear to me what colour the interior of the main compartment is. Is the interior of the aubergine D36 so dark that you 'lose' stuff?

A.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I feel the D36 has just that little bit more room that I need, and it folds down smaller for storage, almost like a Yeoman duffle.
    @BWeaves, could you post a picture of it folded, maybe in another bag to give a size comparison? I'm thinking strongly of getting a small or medium Yeoman to pack into my A45 for a trip this summer, to give me room for souvenirs--I'd check one of the bags on my way home. If the D36 folds up small enough, though, I might well get that instead. I like the D36 (partly because of your enthusiastic reviews of it in other threads!) but haven't gotten one yet because I do like backpack mode.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos are Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV.

I have fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Formerly known as millefolia.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by albyrne View Post
    Thank you very much @bweaves. I've found another couple of threads (here and here) discussing the D36, and I'm thinking it might be ideal for my planned usage. Despite your great photos - thank you - it's not clear to me what colour the interior of the main compartment is. Is the interior of the aubergine D36 so dark that you 'lose' stuff?

A.
    The inside of the bag is just the backside of the ballistic fabric. So the inside of my bag is aubergine, EXCEPT for all the inside pockets, which are coyote colored. So no, I do not lose stuff inside the bag. It's quite light colored because of all the coyote trim and pocket fabrics.

The D36 does not fold up as tiny as the Yeoman will. It's great from a storage point of view. But the D36 is not a bag I would pack inside another bag just in case I needed another bag.

Inside a side pocket. On the right, the coyote fabric is gusseted, so the outside end pocket can fit something larger than a slip of paper. That's why it looks so wrinkled. It has room to give.

Side pockets size: A30 vs D36?-d36-1-jpg

Inside the main compartment. The bottom does not have the foam backing or backstrap compartment of the A30, so it won't lay flat unless you make it. It's soft like a Yeoman duffle.

Side pockets size: A30 vs D36?-d36-2-jpg

The purple on the inside is just the backside of the ballistic fabric. There's no halcyon lining in the D36. But it does have all those extra coyote pockets on the side walls. I love those.

Side pockets size: A30 vs D36?-d36-3-jpg

Folded. I have large hands. Size 8 gloves.

Side pockets size: A30 vs D36?-d36-folded-1-jpg

Side pockets size: A30 vs D36?-d36-folded-2-jpg
    Last edited by BWeaves; 04-22-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, thank you @bweaves for your great photos. I'm going to need to measure my training shoes to be certain, but I think I'll be placing an order soon...

A.