Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Small Cafe Bag for EDC - Need a Bit More Room (Medium Cafe or Maker's Bag?)

I am currently using a Small Cafe Bag to carry around the stuff I need when I head out. Here is a photo:

Using Small Cafe Bag for EDC - Need a Bit More Room (Medium Cafe or Maker's Bag?)-scb-jpg

And written out (roughly left to right, up/down):

• Sunglasses (and bulky Warby Parker case)
    • Snow Peak Titanium Silverware Cutlery Set
    • Kindle Paperwhite
    • Pen
    • Field Notes notebook
    • Easy Fold Bag
    • Leatherman Squirt
    • Organizer pouch with extra keys and headphones
    • Food in bar form
    • AirPods
    • Organizer pouch with extra credit cards and loyalty cards (I keep money and essential cards in my pocket)
    • Organizer pouch with personal care and medical stuff (chapstick, tissues, medicine, hand sanitizer)

I'm pretty happy with this setup. It is compact and easy to carry.

As always, I just want to carry a few more things. Those things are a small water bottle and my iPad Air 2.

I have been thinking about moving up to a Medium Cafe Bag, but the Maker's Bag has really caught my eye for the thoughtful water bottle accommodation. I fear that the bag is too large though.

Any thoughts and experience will be appreciated!

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a Co-Pilot, does that arrangement of pockets work for you? It's a little smaller than a Maker's Bag and it has a dedicated water bottle pocket. My halcyon Co-Pilot very quickly became my favorite bag for errands and such.

For volume comparison, your Small Cafe Bag is 6 liters, a Medium is 8, the Co-Pilot is 10, and a Maker's Bag is 12.5.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Near San Jose, California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a fairly big price difference between the Medium Cafe Bag an the Copilot or Maker's bag.

Forum Member
    Seattle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Small and Medium Cafe Bags, plus Maker's bag. When I need to bump up from the SCB, I reach for the Maker's bag. As I mentioned in another post recently, a big consideration for me is the horizontal vs vertical layout. At that size, I find the Medium Cafe Bag is too long for me to reach the bottom, and unweildly on my short stature. An under-packed Maker's Bag isn't a bad thing either, it just hugs a little better when carried at the hip, and leaves room for picking up a few additions along the way.

Side note: depending on your needs, the Daylight Breifcase might be an option for you also. I'm actually in the process of converting mine from "languishing in the closet" to "next step up" bag. Just as soon as I figure out what I want to add to organize the inside a little bit. One thing I know for sure is that I will be using an old single-slot camera insert for a "water bottle pocket" but Stuff Sacks work really well for this also.
    Rambling On. . . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're in a hurry, the SCB will fit vertically in the MB with extra space. I tried it with the CP and the SCB will fill up the main compartment with space left for the 2 front outer pockets and the water bottle, but it is a tighter squeeze and you'd have to put the SCB inside the main compartment horizontally making it an extra step process to access items in the SCB.

BTW: LOVE your SCB color combo!
    Last edited by RDR3; 04-28-2017 at 10:00 AM.

Forum Member
    Portland-ish OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little late to the game, but i like my SCB for use around town, but i take the MCB when i travel so i can carry a water bottle in it. It stays upright well, i would use it more around but I am not a big fan of the scratchiness of the Cordura, it has abraded some clothes.
    A30-halcyon/UV,, S19-black halcyon/Island, SCB-Original halcyon/Wasabi, MCB-Halycon/Wasabi, SK-black halcyon/Island, SE-Aubergine/Wasabi, LS-Aubergine Fjord, shop bags and numerous bits and bobs in as many colors as i can rationalize

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone - Thanks for all the feedback!

I may need to consider some of these other bags. Truth be told, I really love the satchel look of the Cafe Bags. The Maker's Bag draws me in due to a similar look. That said, function is important here! I'll report back when I make a decision. Smilie

Forum Member
    Portland-ish OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we have all succumbed to the "buy them all". Makers bag is probably my next one... It is nice not having to zip something closed all the time. I got one for my DIL and it is a LOT bigger than the MCB.
    A30-halcyon/UV,, S19-black halcyon/Island, SCB-Original halcyon/Wasabi, MCB-Halycon/Wasabi, SK-black halcyon/Island, SE-Aubergine/Wasabi, LS-Aubergine Fjord, shop bags and numerous bits and bobs in as many colors as i can rationalize

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sboussios View Post
    I think we have all succumbed to the "buy them all".
    I try not to admit that, but it certainly seems true. I often change my habits to rationalize the purchase of a new bag.

Manhattan. I haven't flown on a plane since the '90s.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by widepipe View Post
    I am currently using a Small Cafe Bag to carry around the stuff I need when I head out. Here is a photo:

Using Small Cafe Bag for EDC - Need a Bit More Room (Medium Cafe or Maker's Bag?)-scb-jpg

And written out (roughly left to right, up/down):

• Sunglasses (and bulky Warby Parker case)
    • Snow Peak Titanium Silverware Cutlery Set
    • Kindle Paperwhite
    • Pen
    • Field Notes notebook
    • Easy Fold Bag
    • Leatherman Squirt
    • Organizer pouch with extra keys and headphones
    • Food in bar form
    • AirPods
    • Organizer pouch with extra credit cards and loyalty cards (I keep money and essential cards in my pocket)
    • Organizer pouch with personal care and medical stuff (chapstick, tissues, medicine, hand sanitizer)

I'm pretty happy with this setup. It is compact and easy to carry.

As always, I just want to carry a few more things. Those things are a small water bottle and my iPad Air 2.

I have been thinking about moving up to a Medium Cafe Bag, but the Maker's Bag has really caught my eye for the thoughtful water bottle accommodation. I fear that the bag is too large though.

Any thoughts and experience will be appreciated!
    I totally love that you carry your own silverware -- I do the same during the week (I order a lot of delivery for lunch/dinner), and it kills me to reach for plastic utensils that I will use for just 20 minutes and then throw away. Besides, it's much more satisfying to dig into my meal with REAL flatware (and the knife cuts better anyway).

That said, I faced the same issue; what to carry when I don't need my "everything" bag (Ristretto), but my Small Cafe Bag just isn't quite enough.

I didn't want to get TOO big (otherwise just carry the Ristretto). And I didn't want it to look too "briefcase-y" for weekends and evenings.

So I ordered the Co-Pilot. Just now, in fact. I'll let you know how it works out. Smilie

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who carries silverware!

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the Co-Pilot. I have still not made a decision! I wish I lived in Seattle so I could go into the factory and line them all up. Smilie

Manhattan. I haven't flown on a plane since the '90s.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by widepipe View Post
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who carries silverware!

Looking forward to seeing what you think of the Co-Pilot. I have still not made a decision! I wish I lived in Seattle so I could go into the factory and line them all up. Smilie
    The many YouTube videos have been very, very helpful; seeing them handled by real people gives you a much better idea of their scale.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How tall are you??