Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

San Jose, CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Tom Binh- Trying to decide between Synapse 25 and Brain Bag

Hello all,

I am stuck and can't decide. I am a mom of two. I plan to keep my 11" inch MacBook, 12.9 " iPad, journal, makeup, snacks, three changes of clothes, about 3 books, first aid kit, phone, keys, kid's toys, paper, hydroflask, pens, and markers in my bag. I would like to be well organized, but have the small items readily accessible. Is the brain bag too big? I would also like to use this for road trips with the kids this summer.

Thanks!

Holly

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always lean toward better to have more room than not enough. That said, the Brain Bag has straps to tighten if you don't have a full load or need to make the load a little more compact.

I would say, it really depends on the size of the clothes & toys as well as what additional organizational items you have (packing cubes, etc)

I don't have either of these bags, so I can't be much of a help, sorry. Worst case, order both, check them out, and return one
    S19 Black Halcyon/Northwest Sky .... Maker's Bag Black Halcyon/Wasabi .... Side Effect Aubergine/Wasabi .... Med Cafe Bag Steel/Navy

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Holly!

Welcome to the forum!

It's so funny -- @pso78 asked about the Brain Bag and the Synapse 25 in another thread yesterday, just with a slightly different set of items! Smilie

My feeling is that you may appreciate the organization of the Brain Bag -- one main compartment could hold your MacBook, iPad, journal and makeup. And the other could hold the changes of clothes, books, toys, paper, and First Aid Kit. Perhaps the phone and keys could be put into the top front compartment; the pens and markers in either of the front lower compartments; and the hydroflask could go at the spot designated for the water bottle / umbrella?

Take a look at the video in the aforementioned thread, and let's see if we can't do a packing video with items similar to those that you've mentioned. I don't have an 11" MacBook or a 12.9" iPad Pro, but I could do a packing video with a 12" MacBook and a 13" MacBook Pro if that helps...
    -m

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Tom Binh- Trying to decide between Synapse 25 and Brain Bag

I agree that either works.

In the big picture, there is a cultural divide between wanting a bag with big open space (BB) and a bag with a main space and 4-5 smaller spaces. You can't do wrong. You can have your own preference. If you search, you'll see lots of prior posts and photos comparing the bags. I think many people decide based on their preference for having or not having the smaller spaces built in.

For you specifically, you may decide based on the weight you want to carry. Three changes of clothes, large toys, a full-sized first aid kit and a 20 oz hydroflask may be a lot -- and may lean you towards the Brain Bag. I've been trying to lighten my load. I'm going to overnight travel with my four-year-old, and I'm confident that my Synapse can carry our clothes, a hydroflask, an iPad, snacks, a linen towel, a few small toys, one book, and a small "bandaid and Advil" first aid pouch.

Either way, the bags are great. And you may want to consider some pouches for the paper and pens and stuff sacks for clothes and toys. And key straps. Search the forum for key straps and you risk getting totally addicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk