Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double organizer material

I usually have at least two or three notebooks in my EDC...and a Freudian Slip of one size or another...slots full of writing utensils du-jour and other bits and bobs. In the interest of streamlining when a more subtle approach is called for, I use a small double organizer and graph-ruled index cards...fresh ones in the "upper pocket" and "used" in the lower. A Pilot Juice tucks into the upper pocket too. Voila...subtle, sleek, writing kit.

The small double I have is in navy parapack. Does anyone know if current production is only cordura? There aren't, by wondrous chance, ballistic or Halcyon double pouches being produced??
    Last edited by KmK; 06-04-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd post a picture of the writing kit set up...but my paperweight does not seem inclined to move...and it's somewhere in the stack beneath her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @KmK,

I think that you'll have to call or email Customer Support for information on current Double Organizer Pouch materials. Anecdotally, when I asked about organizer pouch materials a couple of months ago, the answer was no for DOP options in either Halcyon or Parapack, and also no large OPs in Parapack (in fact, they told me the only option at that time for the large OP was black).

I'm not sure about current Ballistic Nylon options, but they made a number of DOPs in Aubergine, for people who liked the color. Some other related threads:
    @Walker's Are the double organizer pouches ever made in halcyon?:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...e-halcyon.html
    (shows the only DOPs I've ever seen in Kiwi Ballistic Nylon -- believe me, I've asked numerous times about this).

When the small and medium size DOPs were first released Parapack was a pretty standard option.

I find the Ballistic Nylon version a bit stiff. Some that I really like are the ones that I got in 500d Cordura in the first several months of the Medium DOP release, because they still had remnants of these that they used to line the final batch of the Ego, ID Bag, Super Ego, etc. before these were retired. These are lighter weight and finer texture than 1000d Cordura, and came in great colors like Crimson, Cayenne, Sapphire, Wasabi, etc. You can see some examples of these in both sizes in the old Bles and reds in organizer pouches thread:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...r-pouches.html

I think most of the current Parapack is being used in bags and accessories, so there's not a lot left over for these pouches.

HTH

moriond

BTW, I now have a new favorite A5 notebook to carry around from Nock.co I don't think it's up on sale at their web site yet, because it was from a recent Kickstarter. Fits nicely in the Side Kick, and I can excerpt pages for the Field Journal if I want to mix it in with the regular notebook paper. Should be on sale at their web site later in June.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, Moriond! Your thorough replies are generous and helpful, both. And your notebook find sounds intriguing!

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @KmK,
    BTW, I now have a new favorite A5 notebook to carry around from Nock.co I don't think it's up on sale at their web site yet, because it was from a recent Kickstarter. Fits nicely in the Side Kick, and I can excerpt pages for the Field Journal if I want to mix it in with the regular notebook paper. Should be on sale at their web site later in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by KmK View Post
    Thank you, Moriond! Your thorough replies are generous and helpful, both. And your notebook find sounds intriguing!
    @KmK,

This probably deserves a separate posting in a different thread, maybe as an adjunct to notebook discussions, or possibly for additions to the Field Journal Notebook threads (since the FJN recently had a refresh, and is available in several colors that weren't available for some time -- including plum).

The notebooks from Nock.co that I like are these A5 DotDash Notebook 3-packs. They're slim, and use fountain-pen friendly paper. Each one has 12 60#weight A4-sized sheets with a clean central staple (makes for 48 pages if you were to number each writable surface), and the dot-dash design means that you have light writing guidelines regardless of the ruling size you'd choose (my written text tends to run somewhat small). Since these open on the side, I can totally see setting up your own customized Midori-traveler's notebook style system with these.

If I'm writing notes, and want to be able to permanently file a page in my Field Journal Notebook (but don't necessarily carry an FJN around with me all the time), I can just remove a page, and use a Staples Mini 3-hole punch to add this to the FJN. Paper sizing is very close, and the paper weight is sturdy for a clean cut.

Probably not everyone's choice, but an option that I like. (For miscellaneous notes that don't need organization, I'd just use a pocket sized Moleskine Volant, Field Notes Notebook, or else the Hobonichi Weeks memo books).

HTH

moriond