Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDC for a mother of two boys (ages 9 and 10)

I am a mother of two boys - ages 9 and 10 - and a busy entrepeneur. The boys have lots of activities and sports and I am on the go for what feels like 24/7. Don't get me wrong - I love every minute of it - but it takes a lot of organization to keep our family moving.

I have searched and searched the forums and the web for an example of a TB bag replacing a purse as an EDC for a mom.

I have used a variety of bags over the years for my EDC - mostly a combination of a purse and laptop backpack, and I am looking to upgrade and optimize things, which brings me to all of you love people in the forums of Tom Bihn.

Have you used a TB bag to replace a purse (or man purse) and if so which one?

My back gets very sore with a purse and a laptop bag and I would love to get them all into one.

My tendency is to think a Synapse 19, Synapse 25 or a Brain Bag would work for me, perhaps with some of the other smaller bags/sacks as internal organization.

I would like to use the bag for EDC and also for outing with the kids. Currently the kids carry bags to school but when we go out I carry everything. I would also love to hear your feedback on how/what the kids should carry!

Thank you!!!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi pasadenamotheroftwo and welcome!

From the bags you mentioned the S25 would be my suggestion. I have three girls (8, 10 and 17) and though I majemthem carry their things in their own bags I get freequently asked, if I have still water in my bottle when theiy either forgot to refill or simply emptied theor own bottles.
    I love love love the dedicated waterbottles of the Synapses. All winter I used a Smart Alec as a "purse" but the few hot days we had this spring made me go back to my S25 simply for the convenionce and placement of the waterbottle pocket.

The Brain Bag is a great pack too and with the possibility to sinch it down quite flexible to use. But for an edc I prefear the look and layout of the two smaller packs S25 and SA.
    The S19 is great too of cause but it sounds to me, that your load you have to carry might surpase the S19 capacity at least at times.

To summerise: the S25 is very versitaile, nicely organised and at least to my taste great looking. It does not screem luggage, looks good even when not full (that is where the SA can look a but "hungry" or saggy) and helps me stay saine as I know: what ever the day throughs at me, my bag has my back (sorry for the cheesy line Big Grin )

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pasadenamotheroftwo View Post
    I am a mother of two boys - ages 9 and 10 - and a busy entrepeneur. The boys have lots of activities and sports and I am on the go for what feels like 24/7. Don't get me wrong - I love every minute of it - but it takes a lot of organization to keep our family moving.

I have searched and searched the forums and the web for an example of a TB bag replacing a purse as an EDC for a mom.

I have used a variety of bags over the years for my EDC - mostly a combination of a purse and laptop backpack, and I am looking to upgrade and optimize things, which brings me to all of you love people in the forums of Tom Bihn.

Have you used a TB bag to replace a purse (or man purse) and if so which one?

My back gets very sore with a purse and a laptop bag and I would love to get them all into one.

My tendency is to think a Synapse 19, Synapse 25 or a Brain Bag would work for me, perhaps with some of the other smaller bags/sacks as internal organization.

I would like to use the bag for EDC and also for outing with the kids. Currently the kids carry bags to school but when we go out I carry everything. I would also love to hear your feedback on how/what the kids should carry!

Thank you!!!
    My kids are 4 and 1.5, and I am going through the same thing. I have been thinking about an S25. This is because:
    -I want to put a (not completely overstuffed) Side Kick in the bottom pocket
    -I want a lot of outside pockets for sunscreen, small stuff sacks with changes of clothes, snacks, water, etc
    -I need a big inside pocket for the non EDC things like PCSBs with swimming stuff, picnic blankets and cool bags, etc
    -I can hang it on the stroller or have it on my back

There are other threads on here discussing the virtues of the S25 vs Brain Bag or Smart Alec, and it kind of depends on if you'll be carrying awkwardly shaped sports equipment, and also your preference for how many pockets you want the bag to have. Scroll down the through Questions About Bags subforum and you should find some. If I can figure out how to paste links to threads from the iPad, I will come back and add them. HTH

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pasadenamotheroftwo View Post

(Snip)

Thank you!!!
    This is a long way for a shortcut, but here is a google search of the forums looking for "brain bag vs Synapse 25".

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=br...w=1024&bih=649

HTH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Ilkyway!

Some more questions for all of you then!

When you carry snacks - what do you carry them in? Do you leave them in their packages or do you put them in glass or plastic containers? For example. I like to buy large containers of Goldfish or other snacks and then I generally put them in smaller bags or containers when I take them with us. Do you have a favorite method?

Which of the other Tom Bign inner bag organizational bags do you use?

Do you put something at the bottom of the BB or S25 so that it will stand up when you set it down? (This is a pet peeve for me if a bag won't stand up when I set it on the ground or in a chair).

What do you use for a wallet when you use a backpack as a purse? Do you have a walltet with all of your cards and your cash and pull that out of your bag every time or do you have a smaller "card" case that you mostly use?

Where in the BB or S25 do you put your phone? Where does it fit and where is it easiest to get to?

What do you use key lanyards for?

So many questions! Thank you in advance for your answers!

I am headed on a 3 week trip with the boys and I want to get my TB bag before I go.