Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help? Seeking advice on adjusting Aeronaut 30 and Synapse 19 for comfort

I traveled today with my Aeronaut 30 for the first time! This was also my first time managing to one-bag it. I did enjoy the freedom of not having to worry about keeping track of multiple bags... but my collarbone got really sore, because the A30 backpack straps kept pressing on it. That didn't happen with my A45 when I traveled with it last month, even though the A45 was packed much heavier than the A30's 17 pounds. I played with the A30's straps a little, not extensively, but didn't find a setting that got it off my collarbone. Does anyone have advice for that? I was using the sternum strap most of the time.

(Come to think of it, I was using a padded hip belt on the A45 and no belt at all on the A30. I'm sure that helped.)

While I'm on the subject of bag comfort, I've been using a Synapse 19 for school lately, with two folders, a notebook, and an iPad in a keyboard case all in the main compartment. The bottom edge often presses painfully against my lower spine. Any suggestions, other than to put a spare sweater or a towel in the bottom of the bag?

In case it makes a difference to the advice, my A45 is the original version, my A30 is the version before the current new version, and I'm not sure what version my S19 is but it's Navy/Solar, which ought to help indicate the year.

I would be very glad of suggestions that help me adjust these bags to be more comfortable, because I like both bags a lot aside from that issue. Thanks!
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What padded hip belt works on the A45? or the A30?

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rafoster View Post
    What padded hip belt works on the A45? or the A30?
    I use this one with the A45. It isn't officially recommended, but it fits: https://www.tombihn.com/products/1-p...nt=32908029831

Forum Member
    Colorado
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will this fit on the A30 also?

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: comfort of the Synapse, maybe try putting some of the larger hard items in the elastic pocket away from your back? Will one of the folders fit there? I've also had issues with this, but luckily I carry a padded pouch (non-TB as I needed one with more depth) in the bottom of my Synapse. I think it'll be hard to make it perfectly comfortable without at least one soft-ish thing cushioning your lower back (I find a 13" laptop in a padded sleeve ok).

Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the Aeronauts in either size are a challenge to pack so that they are comfortable both as a shoulder/hand carry and as a backpack. For the first, they need to balance on the handle, or close to it. For comfortable backpack carry, I find that "classic" backpack packing with the heavy items on the bottom and light on the top important.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    While I'm on the subject of bag comfort, I've been using a Synapse 19 for school lately, with two folders, a notebook, and an iPad in a keyboard case all in the main compartment. The bottom edge often presses painfully against my lower spine. Any suggestions, other than to put a spare sweater or a towel in the bottom of the bag?
    I find that my S19 is really comfortable to carry if i have my iPad suspended from the top so that it's above the part of the back panel that slopes along my lower back. I use a homemade sleeve, similar to a Cache, with rail clips for this. Other items like notebooks go in front of that (maybe inside the interior pocket) and I don't find them bothersome.

Does your S19 have the loops for a Cache? Mine is Navy (Parapack)/Solar too, from 2013, with a Made in USA label, and I believe that was the first batch with rail loops as well as piping around the bottom front pocket and the webbing loop for a light.

Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at a convention this weekend and having a great time, so I haven't had time to write a thorough response until now. Here's hoping I'm still awake enough to make sense!

@rafoster: I believe that belt would fit onto the A30 fine, but the A30 is enough shorter that the belt might not land at a useful place. On me it would land too high on my body for it to be useful, unless I loosened the backpack straps extremely. Your torso may vary. :-)

@rbc3585: I don't think the folders would fit in the pocket, but the iPad certainly would.

@jeff: Hmm. The heaviest things in the A30 are the ones I want not to squish, so I hadn't been putting them in the side pocket that ends up on the bottom. I've been thinking about it since I read your comment, though, and I think I've figured out a packing strategy that will put the heaviest items closer to the bottom while still having something squishy in that end pocket. I'll give that a try tomorrow for my trip home.

@terayon: Suspending the iPad sounds like it might solve the S19 problem entirely--thanks! I've been vaguely planning to do a particular sewing project sometime soon, and I can throw together a pouch at the same time to try suspending the iPad. I don't think my S19 has rail loops, but it does have Brain Cell clip straps and I can rig something there. (And maybe it does have rail loops, I don't remember.)

Thanks, all of you! Hopefully my collar bones and spine will thank you too. :-)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.