Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about PCSB vs Sidekick

Hi all,

Planning my bag requirements for an upcoming trip to Europe. Have been looking for a small carry on to take a small camera and an iPad as well as other small things I may want to carry. I see a lot of comments that the Sidekick doesn't take an iPad comfortably and am eyeing up the new 10.5" version so that will make the Sidekick unusable. Am curious why the PCSB isn't popular for this? I also see that the PCSB weighs considerably less even though both are availably in Halcyon. I have a Halcyon A45 and Halcyon packing cubes so am familiar with the material (I love it). Is it simply that the PCSB is made of the thin halcyon like in the packing cubes? Curious if someone could shed some light on this and if the PCSB is worthwhile considering for a carry round day bag.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Stephen,

I have both the Side Kick and the PCSB, and I think I'd go with the PCSB if I were you. You're right that the PCSB is a slightly thinner fabric, but another difference is the lack of o-rings and internal organization - there's only one o-ring in the front slash pocket of the PCSB.

That said, the size of the PCSB is more versatile in my opinion. I put a cordura Side Effect inside for some organization and rigidity, and stand an 18 oz. hydroflask next to it, which leaves room for a light sweater above the Side Effect. It's perfect. On top of that, the versatility of being able to use it as a packing cube inside my luggage and just switch my Absolute Strap from my Aeronaut to the PCSB at my destination is just so cool. If your iPad is going to be a stretch size-wise, I don't think it's a sacrifice to go with the PCSB at all.

-D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ulder-bag.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...k-pockets.html

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...ulder-bag.html

Those are a couple links to discussions about using the PCSB while traveling, using it as an in flight bag with double carabiners, and some discussions about straps.
    Since the PCSB is a bit floppy, I'd recommend getting one in 400d Halcyon (black or Nordic) vs the 200d of the other offered colors. A medium size OP/double OP placed in the external pocket will also give it some structure and provide more organization if you need it. I've switched out straps from a FJN (gatekeeper end so no swivel which isn't quite as good) or a simple shoulder strap to use with the PCSB. I also have a OP/Tech mini sos strap (like a small version of the Absolute strap) which would be suitable for a heavier load.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps for your help. I went through my TB account and embarrassingly discovered that I had bought a PCSB several months ago as soon as I got it and never used it. Now I realise why, for carrying electronics in while travelling, it's virtually useless for my purposes due to how thin the material is. I'm sure I'll find a use for it eventually now that I realise I own one Confused Stick Out Tongue

Forum Member
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree re the thinness/lack of structure. If there were a PCSB-sized Side Kick I'd be all over it!

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually LOVE the thinness of the PCSB, and I think that's what provides the versatility. You can roll it or fold it up if you aren't using it, it barely takes up any room. It's easy to carry things like an iPad in it. If you're worried about a lack of cushioning, what you do is put the iPad in a sleeve. I organize the inside of the PCSB with various organizers, and find that they provide a lot of stability.

The fabric is slashproof so I'm not worried. IMO it's probably my favorite of all the products TB makes!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbc3585 View Post
    Agree re the thinness/lack of structure. If there were a PCSB-sized Side Kick I'd be all over it!
    Now that is just what I am looking for.

Joss, Tasmania

Washington State
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I actually LOVE the thinness of the PCSB, and I think that's what provides the versatility. You can roll it or fold it up if you aren't using it, it barely takes up any room. It's easy to carry things like an iPad in it. If you're worried about a lack of cushioning, what you do is put the iPad in a sleeve. I organize the inside of the PCSB with various organizers, and find that they provide a lot of stability.

The fabric is slashproof so I'm not worried. IMO it's probably my favorite of all the products TB makes!
    Hi Lani, I’d really like to hear more about what organizers you use. I’ve been trying to find a lightweight purse organizer for my PCSBs but haven’t found the right size yet. Thanks!

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubmum View Post
    Hi Lani, I’d really like to hear more about what organizers you use. I’ve been trying to find a lightweight purse organizer for my PCSBs but haven’t found the right size yet. Thanks!
    Hey bubmum;

When I use the PCSB, it's all about the organizer pouches. I'll typically use three or four of them in various sizes. The medium one is a perfect fit in the outside pocket, so that's where I stash any important paperwork (receipts, boarding passes, itineraries, etc.). On the inside, I use the small ones to stash things like medication, etc. And then it's all about clipping everything with key straps so even if someone got into the inside, they couldn't just easily remove things without discovering that things are tethered.

Washington State
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Hey bubmum;

When I use the PCSB, it's all about the organizer pouches. I'll typically use three or four of them in various sizes. The medium one is a perfect fit in the outside pocket, so that's where I stash any important paperwork (receipts, boarding passes, itineraries, etc.). On the inside, I use the small ones to stash things like medication, etc. And then it's all about clipping everything with key straps so even if someone got into the inside, they couldn't just easily remove things without discovering that things are tethered.
    Thank you, Lani. It’s helpful to hear how you keep things in order!

Forum Member
    VA
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although considerably bigger (twice the capacity of the PCSB), have you looked at the Daylight Briefcase? It would hold your things easily, leave room for a jacket, and has organization while being lightweight in the halcyon version. To me, it feels like a small bag still, as it is thin, but would take your iPad no trouble.