Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small, subtle bag for office environment?

Hi all,

Just started a job at a large engineering firm after graduating from college. I went through college happily using my Tom Bihn Ego messenger bag, but that bag is now too large to use on a daily basis. I no longer need to carry a laptop or textbooks. I am now looking for a smaller cross-body sling-type bag to carry pens, calculator, small writing notepad, book, bottle of medicine, tablet, charger etc.

Any recommendations from the Tom Bihn community?
    Last edited by e5volcano; 06-17-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This answer doesn't meet the criteria you specified, but providing it in case it helps. Of all TB bags, the one (singular) that I've found blends in best in a professional office setting is the black halcyon SSB; I use the MCB FS inside of it to keep papers and pen corralled. I have shoulder problems and the SSB is at the outer limits of what my shoulder can handle most days, so I wouldn't recommend using the LSB bag; I think that would add too much weight.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UpToNoGood View Post
    This answer doesn't meet the criteria you specified, but providing it in case it helps. Of all TB bags, the one (singular) that I've found blends in best in a professional office setting is the black halcyon SSB; I use the MCB FS inside of it to keep papers and pen corralled. I have shoulder problems and the SSB is at the outer limits of what my shoulder can handle most days, so I wouldn't recommend using the LSB bag; I think that would add too much weight.
    Thanks for the reply. I agree in that Black is probably the color I will be selecting to be used in an office setting. Not exactly sure what SSB/LSB is, but if you mean the shop bag, that isn't the style I am quite looking for. Right now, I think some possible options are the Ristretto, Co-Pilot or Daylight Briefcase. Watch video reviews of these products however, I think these may still be a bit too big for my needs - or maybe not....
    Last edited by e5volcano; 06-17-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Minneapolis, MN
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Ristretto sounds ideal. It has the built in padding for your tablet, which the Daylight and Copilot lack. I think it looks cool, too.

Forum Member
    davenport, ia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps a ristretto or cafe bag (with or without a cache for the tablet)? which cafe bag size would be most suitable would depend on the size of the tablet, however. A sidekick could also work, depending on the size of the tablet.

the return policy is good, so if finances allow, I'd recommend ordering a few options and trying them on for size in person.

Forum Member
    San Francisco
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a Small Cafe Bag that works great, though I find that I use it less and less over time. Anything much bigger and you might as well carry a briefcase that you can also carry by its handles.

A Cadet is my EDC for office and customer visits. I use an Op/Tech SOS Curve strap, which is very similar to the TB Absolute strap, and either is highly recommended.

The Cadet isn't overwhelming in size, and rather thin and light without a laptop in it.

In the main compartment holds a 15" MacBook Pro, various notepads and, when on travel, several A5 "popper" folders for organizing receipts by country and carrying the various transit cards and currencies. The MacBook charger usually ends up in the main compartment as well. I don't use a sleeve for both weight and volume reasons. In the front compartment is a pouch for all the cables and video adapters required for ensuring you can connect up to video projectors of any type, and a normal-size mouse, USB drives hanging off the o-rings, and a range of pens, pencils, and even few business cards.

The 1050D ballistic holds up well and the one I have is in the steel gray.

For either bag, I'd suggest a lighter-colored interior, balanced with your ability to stomach what I consider to be the relatively atrocious choices of Wasabi and Ultraviolet (my Iberian interior works well). When trying to find gray or black things in the depths of a dark bag, a dark, non-contrasting background doesn't help.
    Last edited by jeff; 06-18-2017 at 02:48 AM.

Alternate between SW Ohio & Michigan's lovely Upper Peninsula
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by e5volcano View Post
    Right now, I think some possible options are the Ristretto, Co-Pilot or Daylight Briefcase. Watch video reviews of these products however, I think these may still be a bit too big for my needs - or maybe not....
    I have all three of these bags, and I think any of them will work well for you. The Co-Pilot has emerged as my soul-mate bag. I love the organization (I'm particularly fond of the dedicated water bottle pocket!), and it's the perfect size for my EDC: plenty of room for the stuff I shuttle to and from work, but small enough to rein in my tendency to over-pack.

As @capncat mentioned, if finances allow, the best approach might be to order several options and test-pack them to see which one works the best for you. Full disclosure: this strategy rarely works well for me -- I always end up keeping all of the bags. I've heard, however, that some folks actually have the discipline to return things to Tom Bihn -- if you're one of those folks, this approach might work well! 🙂

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by Gumby; 06-18-2017 at 03:49 AM.
    Synapse 19 & 25, Co-Pilot, Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, A45, A30, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend a Black Halcyon Daylight Breifcase if you want small and light, or a Pilot or Cadet if you want just a little more space for other items.

All 3 are fantastic work bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with one of the briefcase looking bags, like the Cadet or the Pilot in ballistic black or coyote. You may one day need to carry a laptop, and that would have you covered. I usually just bring my lunch in it and my glasses case, wallet, etc., but I look professional doing it.

I read an article once, where a woman jumped into a taxi, and the driver was just about to tell her to get out because he was going off duty. He drove her to her destination, and said, "Do you know why I went ahead and drove you? It's because you were carrying a briefcase, so you must be going somewhere important where you have to be on time." She said that all she had in her briefcase was a spare pair of pantyhose and her lunch. She never went anywhere without her briefcase after that.