Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small bag for in flight org

I would like a bag to hold items needed often in flight
    Kindle
    Charger
    Pills
    Ear buds
    Eye mask
    A snack?
    Lip balm
    Gum

I would place it in inside the seat pocket so it doesn't need alot of structure. It would be nice to have some organization.

Does something like this exist.

Washington, D.C.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Side Kick would work perfectly!

-5 GMT EST/EDT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, sounds like a Sidekick would be perfect for this. Though you would likely want to hang it on the bag of the seat pocket using some carabiners.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Grey , SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck in Nebulous Gray, Pickup Truck in Mars Red Small Zipped shop bag in black, Small Zipped shop bag in Dawn numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps, Cubelets and Ghost Whales!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...k-pockets.html
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...st-way-do.html
    https://forums.tombihn.com/accessori...organizer.html

Check out those threads for bag suggestions and attachment solutions that you may prefer over putting the bag inside the seat pocket. The Side Effect, Side Kick, Leads Pocket, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag would all work for your list of items and are smaller than companion travel bags like the Co-Pilot or the Night Flight Travel Duffle. The PCSB has the least structure so some folks opt to put a medium single or double organizer pouch in the external pocket to provide some stiffness and organization.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Kindle's going to drive your size requirements there. Personnally, I've been using a Q-Kit hung with a carabiner for my inflight needs, but mine only contains:

1) Pack of kleenex
    2) Pen/stylus
    3) Earbuds
    4) USB Battery
    5) 3-in-1 Charging Cable
    6) Mints

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on what Kindle you have and what case (if any for it) the Side Effect might even work.

Ilkyway
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 06-23-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ilkyway is correct! I have a Kindle Paperwhite with a plastic shell cover and it does fit in the Side Effect. I like the Sidekick more than the Side Effect, though. I like the design of the pockets. Both are great organizers!

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Badger's Avatar
    Somerville, MA
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your in-flight packing list is basically the same as my domestic in-flight packing list, which I pack into a Side Effect:
    • Kindle Paperwhite
    • Anker charger/retractable Lightning-to-USB cable/USB-to-mini USB cable/earbuds
    • Jackery Bar portable charger
    • Advil
    • Hand sanitizer
    • Lip balm
    • Tiny first-aid kit in a Mini Organizer Pouch
    • A Clif bar
    • Field Notes (1) or Hobonichi Techo
    • Pen(s)
    • Eye drops

These items fit with room to spare in the Side Effect and (at least to me) would leave a Side Kick feeling pretty empty.

However, on my last trip to Iceland, I did use the Side Kick as my in-flight bag. I carried:
    • iPhone charger (little cube thing)/retractable Lightning-to-USB cable/Northern Europe plug converter/long Lightning-to-USB cable
    • Earbuds
    • Advil, prescription meds, cough drops
    • Passport
    • Hand sanitizer
    • Lip balm
    • Clif bar, Hi-Chew, Epic bar
    • Eye drops
    • Field Notes x2
    • Hobonichi Techo
    • Pens x2
    • Merino wool hat

Hope this is helpful in terms of showing the capacity of each bag.

Connecticut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on Side Effect, that is what I use for flights.
    --------------------------------

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to the ones mentioned already, a large Snake Charmer might work well if your Kindle fits into it. I used a Snake Charmer as my in-flight bag on my last trip and it worked very nicely. Just enough room for everything I wanted, and the two sides provided a pleasant amount of organization. One side held chargers, cables, and noise-cancelling earbuds; the other side held everything else, some of it in mini Organizer Pouches or Pocket Pouches.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian... and now also Seapine/UV!

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Connecticut
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, good call on a Snake Charmer. I often wish there was a model without mesh panels.
    --------------------------------

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent, thanks for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there! Have you, or anyone else, considered using a Freudian Slip instead of a Side Effect to hang from the seat back (over the tray latch)? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I might not use a Freudian Slip for that purpose. I'd prefer my items to be in a zippered container that I can wear when I leave my seat. But if you're talking about strictly non-valuable stuff; i.e., no wallet, phone, Kindle or passport, but snacks, pencils and the like: sure. If you happened to be using that particular Freudian Slip during your trip anyway, it might be convenient to have it do double-duty as the in-flight organizer. It does have the advantage of lying relatively flat against the back of the seat in front of you.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlg View Post
    Hi there! Have you, or anyone else, considered using a Freudian Slip instead of a Side Effect to hang from the seat back (over the tray latch)? Any thoughts? Thanks!
    A small Freudian Slip might work, but with the current trend to decreasing the spacing between seats in airplanes, I'd worry that access to a Freudian Slip hung over the tray latch might get uncomfortable when the person seated in front tilts his or her seat back in recliner mode. Most people appear to be using the Side Effect or the Packing Cube Shoulder bag for this purpose.

HTH

moriond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast