Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tristar vs Aeronaught 30

I have been using a tristar since it first came out pretty much and I love it. Has been around the world. I am always surprised how much I can fit.
    There are times I find the centre part not as functional as I would like

I have a trip coming in for a month in Mexico in November where I will be doing a variety of areas so I will need two weeks of beach wear and then some more dressy clothes for the other cities.

I have been thinking about the Aeronaught 30 and wondering which would fit more?

I think the 45 might be too large for many airlines in general. That being said I could be swayed

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an A30 and a WF. I don't think it's a case of which bag fits more, but what's your packing style?

I can just fit an Eagle Creek Specter medium packing folder in the back of the WF, and a pair of shoes and my toiletries in the front of it. I suspect your TS has a similar packing strategy.

The A30 packs differently. I use smaller packing cubes. Shoes go in the side compartments. I find the A30 packing cubes to be just a bit smaller than I would like for folding clothing. I think rolling probably works best for these.

Which bag I take depends on what sort of clothes will fit in which sort of packing cube/folder.

I've actually thought about getting a TS because I like the way the WF packs. But my WF is pretty heavy when packed, and the TS would be heavier, so I haven't bought a TS. I feel like there's too much material in a TS that I wouldn't use (too many front pockets, middle pocket, all adds to extra weight). I'd love a WF design in a TS size.

I think the A45 would be better for folding clothes than an A30, but I don't want to carry a bag that big. If I'm going full size, I'll pack a rolling suitcase and check it. Sort of defeats the purpose, but a fully packed A30 is almost too heavy for me, so I know an A45 would be too heavy.

Actually, my favorite bag is the D36 (Doggienaut 36 / Medium Road Duffle). It's very lightweight because it doesn't have a lining or backstraps. But size wise, it is that sweet spot between the A30 and the A45. And it fits my Eagle Creek Specter cubes perfectly.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 07-07-2017 at 06:20 AM.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few points.

1. Packing style/contents - The TS/WF are for flatter packing style which work better with folded items like suits, dress shirts, slacks, etc but not rolled, bundled or bulky items. The A30/45 are more flexible but packing larger items that you don't want to fold multiple times is harder. Also the organization is different between the 2 styles. Duffel style bags are just more flexible in general. Packing multiple pairs of shoes (running shoes, sandals, dress shoes, etc) in the TS/WF can be problematic.

2. TS/WF vs A30/45 - I personally think of these bags as professional vs casual luggage. Depending on the trip type, that's the bag or bags I'll take. I've owned a TS, WF, S25 and A30. I recently swapped my TS for an A30 because I found that I really couldn't pack much more in the TS vs the WF and use it comfortably. The WF is perfect for a 1-2 night, single bag business trip. The A30 is better for a weekend casual trip and could be paired with the S25 nicely.

I've used my WF once for a casual trip (1 week in MX) because I wanted to carry on 2 bags and figured the briefcase look would make it easier to get on board with my larger carry on but it generally only gets used for business trips.

In most cases, if I need more than 1 bag, I'll probably take a roller bag depending on the destination. I have a WF, S25 and A30 but at this point I haven't used more than one of them on any trip.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the bulk of the previous folks' comments. Getting the most out of the bag depends on your packing strategies. I travel regularly with both, but my wife travels far more regularly with an A30. We both one-bag for almost all trips, so take my comments with that grain of salt.

A few differences of opinion or additional insights.

- The TS is just enough larger than the A30 to be pretty noticeable; a consideration if you're someone who puts your bag under the seat in front of you. My wife and I like to do this, under seat nastiness aside, so that we don't have to care if there's overhead space available. Putting the TS under the seat in front of me is possible on many planes, in either orientation. Some seats have junction boxes that get in the way due to the thickness of the TS. The A30 does not typically suffer in this fashion, and I have substantially more foot room when doing so. I've also found the A30 to be more manageable in tight transits, through narrow aisles, and so forth.

- Despite being larger, the built-in organization absolutely does "consume" some of the functionality of the space. The TS is a well-designed bag, but if you're using it in a way that's less compatible with the design goals, you're definitely not going to make effective use of the available space. I find that I don't use the front pockets of the TS as much as I thought I might, due to the flat design. This is also somewhat, but less so, true of the water bottle pocket. I personally don't mind so much, as the TS does start to get pretty thick when packed to the gills.

- The built-in organization of the TS makes it easier to get to specific stuff on the fly even when using packing cubes; getting to a specific item in an A30 can take more rooting around.

- My wife's only real complaint about her A30 is when traveling with a laptop - the center of the TS is purpose-built for this, but the A30 is not. We both feel this is a small price to pay for the general purpose nature of the bag, and it isn't a major problem.

- The large open space and general purpose nature of the A30 makes it easier to pack more effectively across a different range of packing styles. My wife often ends up being the one to tuck extra stuff we've acquired on our travels into her bag, due to the flexibility of the space. I find I have to approach packing the TS with more thought.

- I am a roller for a lot of my clothes packing, and find that I can effectively use rolling in the TS. I have adjusted my rolling technique (where possible) to produce rolls with a diameter matching the packing cube or section of the bag I'm using. This helps produce solid, flat slabs to fill the TS with. When packed in this manner, "footballing" of the bag is kept to a minimum. I still rely on folding for bulkier items, but I have switched to rolling wrinkle-resistant pants and shirts (leaving the collar unrolled).

- My packing strategy for using the TS on non-business trips is to use the front and rear areas for packing cubes, and let the middle "soak up" any of the bulge that eats into the space. I then use this central area for items that need protection, or I need quick access to. The A30 definitely accommodates thicker items better than the TS. My center section usually ends up being home to my toiletries, tablet, books, camera, miscellaneous things as needed (travel towel, extra strap, pocketable jackets, etc.)

- I do use a Specter Pack-It and love that it fits in the rear section. I don't think the medium 18" one I use would fit in an A30, and using a folder like this does allow me to pack more nicer dress shirts when I need to. I do not use the folder for most of my pleasure travel, due to bringing different clothes.

- I personally would have a hard time stepping up to an A45. I try to travel at 15 pounds / ~6.8 kg or less. I find any frameless bag uncomfortable at loads higher than this. This loading guideline I impose on myself is easily exceeded in both the TS and A30.

- I would totally agree with hachkc that the TS and WF are more suited to the business traveler or for more formal occasions, and never take an A30 on conference trips for work, due to the benefits of using the TS. Conferences are one of the few times I make heavier use of the front pockets - papers, files, etc.

Both are excellent bags, any way you slice it! After watching my wife travel so well with her A30, it was sorely tempting to have both. While they are both good at adapting, you do benefit from using a bag more closely matched to your use case. I'm (perhaps overly) frugal, and found having the option to pick one of these two bags a worthwhile prospect.
    Last edited by squaredot; 07-09-2017 at 11:11 AM.