Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disney World - Synapse 25?

Good day everyone. I have been a long time lurker and dreamer, but I haven't actually purchased anything from Tom Bihn until yesterday...I pulled the trigger on a Synapse 25 in Black 400 Halcyon/Iberian 200 Halcyon. I know that this is most likely a bag that will eliminate most of my other bags which is why I wanted one so badly. I purchased the 13 MBP Cache as well.

My first trip with this bag will be in August, my wife and I will be going to Disney world for a week. I was hoping to speak to anyone else that has used this bag in disney world...particularly if it's a pain going through bag checks with them due to all of the pockets. This was my first concern.

I'm also quite curious to know if the disney refillable mugs fit in the either the two outside side pockets of the bag or if two will fit in the waterbottle pocket.

Would love to hear any feedback you may have.

Forum Member
    The Texas Panhandle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got back from a Disney Trip in April and happened to have my mug so I checked to see if the mug would fit. (Somehow we only ended up with one mug on our return - so I can't fully answer. The mug won't fit in the side pockets. One will definitely fit in the water bottle pocket - two might. However, it would be a very tight fit if it works. I think two will certainly fit in the bottom pocket. As for security, I didn't find it to be an issue at all. As I approached security I just made sure all the zippers were undone. They were thorough, but with everything open and waiting it didn't take long at all.

Have a great time at Disney.
    S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/Solar; GES25/Coyote, GES25/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA/Steel, SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Canyon, MCB/Wasabi, MCB/Canyon; LCB Steel/Navy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @xracer4844, here are some pics of Disney refillable mugs in an S25. As you can see, they do fit in both the side pockets as well as the top water bottle pocket. Two in the water bottle pocket are a really tight fit. It takes some maneuvering to get them in and out. I wouldn't recommend putting two in there.

As far as security, I havenít used the S25 at the parks. My go-to backpack for Disney is the DLBP. However, on our last Disneyland trip, which was the end of April, I brought the DLBP to use as my park bag and an S19 as my personal item for the flight. The first morning I used my DLBP, but because I was also carrying my grandkidsí autograph books and some other stuff for them, it was more convenient to switch to the S19. We stayed at the Grand Californian so the security line was really short. Some security officers looked through every pocket, while others did not. Even when they looked through the pockets, it was really quick and we had them all unzipped beforehand. I think you will love your S25 and security will be a breeze. I applaud your courage in going to WDW in August. I think the humidity would kill me. Let us know how the S25 performed on your trip.

Disney World - Synapse 25?-top-view-jpgDisney World - Synapse 25?-cups-jpgDisney World - Synapse 25?-zipped-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I'm feeling much more excited about the s25. It should arrive early next week!!!!!

This will be our first time going to Disney world in august, and I hope we won't regret it. My family has had a vacation home in Florida for most of my life, and I have been to Florida in august before so I think I'll be okay. Fingers crossed.

I didn't buy any organizer pouches or anything for the s25. I figure after I spend the week with it, I'll have a much better idea of exactly what I'll want. I'm really excited to use it though. Bags make me excited!!!

Forum Member
    The Texas Panhandle
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    @xracer4844, here are some pics of Disney refillable mugs in an S25. As you can see, they do fit in both the side pockets as well as the top water bottle pocket. Two in the water bottle pocket are a really tight fit. It takes some maneuvering to get them in and out. I wouldn't recommend putting two in there.

As far as security, I haven’t used the S25 at the parks. My go-to backpack for Disney is the DLBP. However, on our last Disneyland trip, which was the end of April, I brought the DLBP to use as my park bag and an S19 as my personal item for the flight. The first morning I used my DLBP, but because I was also carrying my grandkids’ autograph books and some other stuff for them, it was more convenient to switch to the S19. We stayed at the Grand Californian so the security line was really short. Some security officers looked through every pocket, while others did not. Even when they looked through the pockets, it was really quick and we had them all unzipped beforehand. I think you will love your S25 and security will be a breeze. I applaud your courage in going to WDW in August. I think the humidity would kill me. Let us know how the S25 performed on your trip.

Disney World - Synapse 25?-top-view-jpgDisney World - Synapse 25?-cups-jpgDisney World - Synapse 25?-zipped-jpg
    I stand corrected - I didnt think the pocket would close with the mug in there and didnt try to force it. I am sorry, I was certainly not trying to mislead you in any way.
    S19/Island; S25/Island, S25/Solar; GES25/Coyote, GES25/Coyote; BB/Canyon; SA/U.V., SA/Wasabi, SA/Steel, SA/Steel; A30/Zest; A45/Island, A45/Steel; MCB/Canyon, MCB/Wasabi, MCB/Canyon; LCB Steel/Navy

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem at all! I can't wait for my s25 to get here, and I can't wait to get back and order some organizer pouches!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the Synapse 25 a few times in Disney World and it definitely works well. Going through security isn't a big deal, just unzip everything before it's your turn.

The bag is plenty big to fill up with all your souvenirs Disney World - Synapse 25?

Congrats on the new bag and have a great trip. Disney World is the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Synapse 25 Black/Wasabi Cordova, Pilot Navy/Northwest Sky Ballistic Nylon, Co-Pilot Black/Wasabi Halcyon, Aeronaut 45 Black/Wasabi Ballistic Nylon

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes so excited for our trip, it's only 39 days away. Not only is this our first time going in August, but it's our first time renting a car for a Disney Trip. We usually just take the disney transportation everywhere. We are also flying into Tampa instead of Orlando...the flight was a few hundred dollars less, so we decided to drive from Tampa to Orlando! I'm looking forward to it! We have a few stops along the way, so it's going to be a fun adventure all on its own

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bag checks aren't really that onerous. Seems like they're checking for obvious bombs and feeling the bag after removing any larger items to see if there's a gun...

Possible relevant thread -> https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post144850

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to Disney World last year with my Synapse 25 in September. I took it to the park one day but then I got too hot with it on and switched to my Billingham Hadley Pro shoulder bag. I used the Synapse as a camera bag/diaper bag. We had a stroller so we just tossed our supplies in the stroller, and I carried my camera in the shoulder bag. I like having the camera and lenses accessible, which is why I like the Synapse. I know exactly where everything is.

I don't know how many photographers are out there, but the insert for the Billingham Hadley Pro fits nicely in the main compartment of the Synapse 25. Everything is nicely accessible. If I am not carrying any other gear other than camera stuff, I will stick the lenses in the pockets, but if I have stuff in the pockets, I use lens pouches for my lenses, and I attach them to o-rings with different colored key straps. So if I need a telephoto lens, I know it is attached the island key strap, and I yank on it and reel it out of the bag. If I need a wide angle, it is attached to the wasabi strap. It also sort of frees up a hand when switch lenses since I can let the pouches hang free if needed.

Notwithstanding the heat that any backpack would create, I loved the Synapse. It is a good size if you don't over fill it, and I love having the organization. Security isn't too big of an issue with it. Just unzip everything like others have mentioned. Also, I think security has changed. I think they search you before entering Disney transportation, so it doesn't get as backed up since there aren't a mass of people needing to be searched at the same time. I was the bag man for our family so I had carried all the bags while my wife and kids entered the no bag line.....

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about why you're concerned if the mugs will fit. The last time I was there (Oct. '14) the refillable mugs were only refillable at the resorts, not in the parks, so there wasn't any reason to bring them with us. Coincidentally, we're also going back in August this year, so I'd like to know if they've changed their policies.

As far as the bags, I think I've said it before in a different thread on here, but I prefer to just grab a water bottle, my cell phone in a pocket, and leave the bags behind. Much easier to go bagless in the parks I find, especially with the option to have all purchases delivered to your resort. No need for a bag check, nothing to keep an eye on in the park, no worrying about the bag while on rides, etc...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcumeda View Post
    I went to Disney World last year with my Synapse 25 in September. I took it to the park one day but then I got too hot with it on and switched to my Billingham Hadley Pro shoulder bag. I used the Synapse as a camera bag/diaper bag. We had a stroller so we just tossed our supplies in the stroller, and I carried my camera in the shoulder bag. I like having the camera and lenses accessible, which is why I like the Synapse. I know exactly where everything is.

I don't know how many photographers are out there, but the insert for the Billingham Hadley Pro fits nicely in the main compartment of the Synapse 25. Everything is nicely accessible. If I am not carrying any other gear other than camera stuff, I will stick the lenses in the pockets, but if I have stuff in the pockets, I use lens pouches for my lenses, and I attach them to o-rings with different colored key straps. So if I need a telephoto lens, I know it is attached the island key strap, and I yank on it and reel it out of the bag. If I need a wide angle, it is attached to the wasabi strap. It also sort of frees up a hand when switch lenses since I can let the pouches hang free if needed.

Notwithstanding the heat that any backpack would create, I loved the Synapse. It is a good size if you don't over fill it, and I love having the organization. Security isn't too big of an issue with it. Just unzip everything like others have mentioned. Also, I think security has changed. I think they search you before entering Disney transportation, so it doesn't get as backed up since there aren't a mass of people needing to be searched at the same time. I was the bag man for our family so I had carried all the bags while my wife and kids entered the no bag line.....
    Funny you should mention photography...I usually carry my canon + 24-70 and sometimes a 10-24...the last few times I went to disney I haven't bothered with bringing my big camera although I think I might for this trip. I still haven't come up with a camera insert system for my s25 yet so looking forward to playing with that...Thanks for the info on the Billingham insert...I love billingham bags as well, especially the hadley!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
    I'm curious about why you're concerned if the mugs will fit. The last time I was there (Oct. '14) the refillable mugs were only refillable at the resorts, not in the parks, so there wasn't any reason to bring them with us. Coincidentally, we're also going back in August this year, so I'd like to know if they've changed their policies.

As far as the bags, I think I've said it before in a different thread on here, but I prefer to just grab a water bottle, my cell phone in a pocket, and leave the bags behind. Much easier to go bagless in the parks I find, especially with the option to have all purchases delivered to your resort. No need for a bag check, nothing to keep an eye on in the park, no worrying about the bag while on rides, etc...
    Yes, the refillable mugs are only refillable at the resorts...this has not changed. Typically, we are up around 7 in the morning, fill them with coffee or whatever we choose, and then bring them on transportation with us to the parks. When we return to the hotel, we stop and fill them, and bring them back to our room full. It's the only way we've found to utilize the free refills...we bring them with us everywhere