Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storage for Cables & Other Electronic Gear

Hey everybody!

Recently, I started a thread in the "Not About Bags" section of the Bihn forums, having to do with seeking out quality gear for charging & data transfer for mobile devices, both at-home and on-the-road.

Now, I am in the process of mail-ordering this gear, and I want to know about highly portable storage for these. Specifically, I want to know if anything Tom Bihn offers would "hit the spot". It needs to be something small and closable that offers organization features and can fit in a small backpack or briefcase.

I spied a prime non-Bihn specimen on Amazon recently, and wondered if Bihn had anything close to this. I know that Red Oxx and Waterfield Designs have items that are vaguely similar, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Any Bihn suggestions?
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bet you could use a Spiff Kit for a flat, book-like organizer. I just use a small organizer pouch when I'm out on the go, or the Travel Tray when on the road.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the Travel Tray for cables when on the road too.
    All cable is made onto a spool and takes on the curl of the spool as it cools down on there so all cables will easily roll back into the circle if rolled between your fingers ,unless kinked at an early age of course!!

So the Travel Tray is the ideal shape for this and will hold a lot of cables correctly as well as many other things I need with me in Hotel and Work Rooms everywhere.

Small pouches are also fine as long as the coiled cables will fit in them easily so a little experimentation coiling them is the best way to make sure you get pouches that are big enough really.

Of course the Snake Charmer are also great for this but like the TT can be way too big too.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, until the Travel Tray was brought up in this thread, I had not even thought about it.

Upon visiting the Travel Tray page, I discovered there are two sizes, large and small, priced about $3.00 apart. The small tray may be just the ticket for the electronic gear discussed here, and the tray could also have other uses. Sounds like a win-win to me.
    Owner of: Brain Bag backpack (Black), Field Journal Notebook (Blue), Snake Charmer (Small, Orange), Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... how 'bout that?

I just visited the Snake Charmer page, and it also comes in large and small; each $5 apart. Looks like I have options to choose from...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't fulfill your closable requirement, but I recently saw someone using a GridIt at a conference. Looked pretty interesting.
    https://www.cocooninnovations.com/ca....php?cat_id=61

Forum Member
    Somewhere in the Hills
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes carry a set of four walkie-talkie-style two-way handheld radios for communications during volunteer work bees. I was thinking that a Small Snake Charmer might kill two birds with one stone, allowing me to carry the radio gear and the mobile device charging and cabling gear in a single one of these Snake Charmers.

The radios each have a removable antenna, so that makes them easier to store. Each radio is a roughly rectangular solid, measuring 2-1/4" x 1-1/4' x 4-1/4" ( 57.15mm x 31.75 mm x 107.95 mm). If they would pack nicely in a Small Snake Charmer, and still allow room for antennas and mobile device gear, that would be the ticket.

According to the Snake Charmer page, the Small size exterior measurements are: 8.3” x 4.9” x 4.3” (210 x 125 x 110 mm).

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I contact the Bihn crew directly?