Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luminary or DLBP: Which would be your daypack of choice (and why)?

Hi all! I'm contemplating on getting a daypack that's smaller and lighter than my Smart Alec, but can't decide between the DLBP and the Luminary. The DLBP is more budget-friendly, but the Luminary is so intriguing.

If you have both packs, do you like to use each one for a specific purpose and/or outing? If you've already decided between the two, what swayed your decision one way or the other?

EDIT: I'm imagining using this bag for day hikes and day trips, and possibly also as an EDC when I don't want or need to schlep as much stuff as my SA holds.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts and advice!!

blackbird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blackbird; 07-16-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably little help at this point, but I'm still waiting for the Luminary. As is everyone other than the mods. I looked at pictures of the DLBP and it just looked too big/long for my small frame, so I'm hoping the Luminary will fit me better. I guess it all depends on how much you need to typically carry, and if you need to put this backpack into other luggage when you travel (the DLBP looks easy to pack, the Luminary likely less so because of all the padding).
    Proud owner of: Luminary in cloud/cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, SE's in black ballistic/iberian and steel parapack, SSB in black dyneema and black halcyon, Steel dyneema/steel Pilot, numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps and Cubelets!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Daylight Backpack is my favorite bag. I have it in original Halcyon. It's super light, fairly well organized, holds everything I need. It's been on every trip I've taken since I got it. You can roll it, fold it, stuff it anywhere in your travel bag. If the Luminary gets made in Halcyon, I'd definitely consider that. But it will take a lot for it to displace my love for the Daylight.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my DLBP for many of the same reasons as @Rocks. I pretty much always take it when I travel, unless I'm one-bagging with my S25. For work, it fits my daily needs plus my 12" MacBook with ease. For vacation/casual travel, it's served me very well on day hikes, short overnights, and just bumming around sight-seeing.

Of course, I haven't see a Luminary in person yet, but while I like it (and find it very hard to say "no" to another backpack), I'm not sure I'd find it as versatile as the DLBP.
    "When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep."
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    The Left Hand of Darkness

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The DLBP is one of my shining stars. I take it on pretty much every trip I take. It's been my work EDC since last winter (I usually switch to my Swift, but I let a friend borrow it and have not gotten it back yet). I find it very light and comfortable. I'm short so I do find it a little on the long side, but I'm not looking in a mirror the entire time I'm carrying a pack, so I deal. There are times, though, that it's too big for my needs and I long for something that is a wee bit smaller. I'm hoping the Luminary will fit that need. There are also times where I have to really be thinking about how I pack my DLBP. How do I balance the load? Where do I put my water bottle? Taking a few extra minutes isn't too cumbersome and it's definitely a first world problem. I'm excited to see if the Luminary IRL, though my DLBP will always be my trusty travel companion.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting for my Luminary to arrive, but I can talk about my love for the DLBP. It's such great light bag to pack in luggage, and with just enough organization for my needs (I do also use a freudian slip in it). Though when I've filled the bag up and it's heavy, the straps can be a bit uncomfortable -- and I have to make sure nothing is poking me against my back since there's no padding.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a black halcyon DLBP and while I love the packability of it, trying to locate things in it is rather frustrating because it is so floppy and because the interior is a little dark. It is NWS interior, however with all the black halcyon surrounding it, the NWS shows up dark unless I am in the direct sun.

I will keep it and use it as a packable backpack, but I did order the Luminary because I know I will appreciate having a stiffer backpack that is small and has designated pockets for things. I also like that it will stay relatively streamlined even when fully stuffed, unlike the DLBP, which can look quite strange when fully stuffed with angular things.

Will have a bit more insight into this when I receive my Luminary though.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Luminary nor does it particularly interest me but I do have DLBP and I love it. It can be a bit floppy but I don't really find that to be too big of a problem. I like it for short hikes, day trips and as a packable backpack (I use it as packing cube).

The Luminary seems a bit small both in stature and capacity for my liking.
    Seeking Steel Dyneema (Halcyon) SA LMP