Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small vs Medium Cafe Bag

I know there's a lot out here already about the venerable Cafe bags... but I am just having a little trouble deciding between these two.
    I'm a photographer but I'm looking for a simple EDC bag. Lately I've been carrying my Think Tank Retrospective 6 every day and I'm just feeling a little overloaded. As we all know your kit will grow to fill your bag. To beat this tendency I've beet moving to progressively smaller bags (I just took a 10 day trip to Japan in my Synapse 19). Before moving into the Think Tank I was using a Pilot for EDC and the trusty Synapse 19 before that.

I need to carry:
    - 35mm film slr with a small lens or Fujifilm X100
    - 2 rolls of film
    - lenspen
    - business cards
    - A5 notebook
    - small lunch bots tin
    - pens and pencils
    - small folding knife
    - pill bottle
    - 2 oz tube of moisturizer
    - 12 oz insulated klean kanteen
    - kindle

- On rare occasions an iPad.

I've seen some folks writing that the SCB is too small to carry much next to a bottle, but I hand carry the bottle most of the time and could probably get along fine with the method of hanging a bottle from a triangle clip which a few people have shared. If anyone else has some experience with trying to downsize their EDC into an SCB I'd love to hear from you. Or if maybe you can show me how your cameras are doing in a MCB that would also be really helpful. Any and all feedback are appreciated.
    Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the lunchbots tin and the water bottle, I might go for the MCB. I always advocate order both, and test pack, and return the one that doesn't work. Nothing is as good as hands-on with the bag! And you are only out the 10 bucks return shipping. Not too bad. Good luck with your choice!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely the MCB for what you've described! I don't know the form factor for some of your items - if they were super-tiny you might be able to squeeze into an SCB. But for me personally I prefer to have a little wiggle room rather than having to perform an extraction every time I need to pull something out of my bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ETA: Here's a comparison thread I started a while back. It does not show a camera, but perhaps the other items in the loadout will give you some sense of scale.

SCB or MCB for sightseeing?

For that trip, ultimately I ended up taking an SCB for my EDC needs, AND a small Shop Bag. Most of the time I carried my DSLR (with one of two lenses - either the 50mm, or the 28-105) around my neck, and popped it in the SSB when I didn't want to wear it. (Perhaps not the solution you would choose, I only offer it as a point of comparison.)

On a different trip, I took my SCB sightseeing. My Fuji X100 fit just fine in the SCB, along with minimal travel EDC. But, I did not carry a lunch kit or notebook with me. And that setup (SCB only) would be too small for my daily, at-home EDC.

EATA: Upon reflection, I would say that I can/have fit similar items as follows in the SCB:

No-go:
    x 35mm film slr with a small lens - I could probably only fit my very old Minolta with a 50mm lens in the SCB, and nothing else. Maybe some tissue. My DSLR would certainly not fit.

x small lunch bots tin - if this is the size I'm imagining, this would not fit if I wanted to put the X100 in as well, or rather I would not personally try to wedge them both in

Yes:

- Fujifilm X100
    - 2 rolls of film (obviously, not with the X100, but something this size would fit with all the other stuff)
    - lenspen
    - business cards
    - A5 notebook
    - pens and pencils
    - small folding knife
    - pill bottle [I prefer a small tube like this, and just transfer what I need into it]
    - 2 oz tube of moisturizer (I have a smaller container that I've used, or just left the moisturizer at home)
    - 12 oz insulated Klean Kanteen - I would not put this in the same bag as my camera, that's just my preference; if you like hanging it off the exterior, great, but I did not like the balance when I did this. - Actually you could get one of those carrying sleeves with its own strap and not have to put it in the bag at all.
    - Kindle - if I had a slim case, I might be able to put this in with the X100. Again, not with the bottle.

- On rare occasions an iPad. [- I would do this and the X100, but not the Kindle, iPad, and X100 altogether.]
    Last edited by haraya; 07-21-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    ETA: Here's a comparison thread I started a while back. It does not show a camera, but perhaps the other items in the loadout will give you some sense of scale.

SCB or MCB for sightseeing?

For that trip, ultimately I ended up taking an SCB for my EDC needs, AND a small Shop Bag. Most of the time I carried my DSLR (with one of two lenses - either the 50mm, or the 28-105) around my neck, and popped it in the SSB when I didn't want to wear it. (Perhaps not the solution you would choose, I only offer it as a point of comparison.)

On a different trip, I took my SCB sightseeing. My Fuji X100 fit just fine in the SCB, along with minimal travel EDC. But, I did not carry a lunch kit or notebook with me. And that setup (SCB only) would be too small for my daily, at-home EDC.

EATA: Upon reflection, I would say that I can/have fit similar items as follows in the SCB:

No-go:
    x 35mm film slr with a small lens - I could probably only fit my very old Minolta with a 50mm lens in the SCB, and nothing else. Maybe some tissue. My DSLR would certainly not fit.

x small lunch bots tin - if this is the size I'm imagining, this would not fit if I wanted to put the X100 in as well, or rather I would not personally try to wedge them both in

Yes:

- Fujifilm X100
    - 2 rolls of film (obviously, not with the X100, but something this size would fit with all the other stuff)
    - lenspen
    - business cards
    - A5 notebook
    - pens and pencils
    - small folding knife
    - pill bottle [I prefer a small tube like this, and just transfer what I need into it]
    - 2 oz tube of moisturizer (I have a smaller container that I've used, or just left the moisturizer at home)
    - 12 oz insulated Klean Kanteen - I would not put this in the same bag as my camera, that's just my preference; if you like hanging it off the exterior, great, but I did not like the balance when I did this. - Actually you could get one of those carrying sleeves with its own strap and not have to put it in the bag at all.
    - Kindle - if I had a slim case, I might be able to put this in with the X100. Again, not with the bottle.

- On rare occasions an iPad. [- I would do this and the X100, but not the Kindle, iPad, and X100 altogether.]
    Thanks so much Haraya. This is all really useful now I've just got to choose a fabric... always the hardest part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk