Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    NYC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD View Post
    Ultimate suggestion: Skip the med box entirely and use med pill pouches and a sharpie. Pouches can even be saved and reused if you are concerned about recycling or tossed if you are not.

https://www.amazon.com/Ezy-Dose-Disp...l%2Bpouch&th=1
    Unfortunately, it's liquid medication in squeezable bottles that leak if not sealed and protected inside the box (I speak from experience- it gets really messy and meds are unusable). Would love to be able to ditch the boxes, but it's not an option.

Forum Member
    NYC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Hanaper View Post
    You've probably checked this out, but do make sure there won't be any airport security surprises about trying to take that much liquid medicine in carry-on.

The norm is that you're allowed enough essential medicine for the flight and a reasonable amount more to cover delays, but any more than that counts against your allocation for liquids aerosols and gels, or needs to go in the hold.

I don't know whether there's an exception for personal medicines that can't afford temperature excursions. Would most of those want cold-chain transport anyway?
    Excellent question- liquid medications are allowed in carry-on luggage and don't count toward the 3-1-1 rule. In the past I've told the TSA officer when I got to the screening area, had the prescription label on the box, and had a note from my doc as backup, but the last time the TSA officer didn't even want/ need to see the note. I hadn't thought about it until now, but just looked it up and indeed this med indeed needs to be kept at room temperature. I've pasted the information from the TSA website below for those who are interested.

From http://https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures
    Inform the TSA officer that you have medically necessary liquids and/or medications and separate them from other belongings before screening begins. Also declare accessories associated with your liquid medication such as freezer packs, IV bags, pumps and syringes. Labeling these items can help facilitate the screening process.

3-1-1 Liquids Rule Exemption

You may bring medically necessary liquids, medications and creams in excess of 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in your carry-on bag. Remove them from your carry-on bag to be screened separately from the rest of your belongings. You are not required to place your liquid medication in a plastic zip-top bag. If a liquid, gel, or aerosol declared as medically-necessary alarms, then it may require additional screening and may not be allowed

Accessories

Ice packs, freezer packs, gel packs, and other accessories may be presented at the screening checkpoint in a frozen or partially-frozen state to keep medically necessary items cool. All items, including supplies associated with medically necessary liquids such as IV bags, pumps, and syringes must be screened before they will be permitted into the secure area of the airport.

Screening

TSA officers may test liquids, gels or aerosols for explosives or concealed prohibited items. If officers are unable to use X-ray to clear these items, they may ask to open the container and transfer the content to a separate empty container or dispose of a small quantity of the content, if feasible.

Inform the TSA officer if you do not want your liquid medication to be screened by X-ray or opened. Additional steps will be taken to clear the liquid and you will undergo additional screening procedures to include a pat-down and screening of other carry-on property.

I really wish I didn't have to schlep this stuff with me, but I have IBD (sorry if that's TMI!) and am getting over a pretty severe flare. The alternative- being off the med for 10 days- puts me at risk of getting extremely sick, and I really don't want to live my life without traveling at all, so I just need to adapt!

Thank you all so much!

Orange County, CA, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you thought about packing your A30 full with your clothing and gear and carrying the meds separately in a Shop Bag or PCBP or DLBP? Leave the meds in your room at your destination and use the smaller bag as a day pack. That way as you use them up you can pack the bag away and won't be stuck carrying a half full A30. Just a thought.

Your trip sounds like a fun adventure.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Southern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lagolden View Post
    Unfortunately, it's liquid medication in squeezable bottles that leak if not sealed and protected inside the box (I speak from experience- it gets really messy and meds are unusable). Would love to be able to ditch the boxes, but it's not an option.
    Ah okay, I understand completely.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's a domestic airline, and the A45 is probably not fully packed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2