Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Air mesh back of Synapse...

Good evening all. I do not mean to pose a question which has been asked before but am just wondering if there really is a big deal with the air mesh and soaking up sweat and smells? I have been saving up to get a synapse 25 but am somewhat apprehensive due to reading certain people's posts with regards to the air mesh on the back of the synapse and the straps leading to smells. I have noted people say that it is good for people who travel with it but not for EDC for every day in the summer? I do not want to spend over $200 and be worried about getting sweaty in the summer here.

I do not have much experience with backpacks but we purchased a $20 venturepal from amazon; I am the primary hauler of things and my back sweats profusely even after 20 minutes with it on, so am wondering if it is an issue with the synapse that it would lead to a bad smell?

Maybe Tom Bihn could make a synapse without the air mesh back? I'll pay extra? Smilie

Thank you for you any help and advice folks and sorry if I'm cluttering the forum with already asked questions.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it can be an issue. I don't wear ANY backpack in the summer for this reason, except the Daylight Backpack for short periods of time. Even then, I'll hang it off one shoulder for a bit or carry it by the top handle if I get too hot.

It's not so much a concern about the cleanability of the Synapse or any other backpack, but not wanting my shirt to get soaked. (Sorry if that's TMI). For me, the Synapse is an occasional bag for medium or cool days. I have hiked with it and it seemed ok afterwards. If it got bad, I would soak it in Mirazyme, which removes odors. (I did this once, not because of sweat but because it had taken an unexpected bath in the Boston Harbor.)
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Boston; she/her
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    (I did this once, not because of sweat but because it had taken an unexpected bath in the Boston Harbor.)
    I apologize for going off-topic, but I'm very curious: how did you get the bag back when it fell in the harbor?

Singapore
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using my Synapse 19 almost every day for the last four months and I haven't had any issues with the back panel/straps stinking so far. I live in a tropical country near the equator, which means hot and humid all year and items like bags seem to disintegrate too fast.

I try not to have too much stuff in the pack though, which might've helped with not keeping the pack flush against my back so YMMV.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aedifica View Post
    I apologize for going off-topic, but I'm very curious: how did you get the bag back when it fell in the harbor?
    It was sitting on top of a sea kayak that got continuously washed with water for a few hours. (Most of the contents had been transferred to a drybag stowed in the hatch; I don't remember why I decided to leave the backpack up on top.)
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I think it can be an issue. I don't wear ANY backpack in the summer for this reason, except the Daylight Backpack for short periods of time. Even then, I'll hang it off one shoulder for a bit or carry it by the top handle if I get too hot.

It's not so much a concern about the cleanability of the Synapse or any other backpack, but not wanting my shirt to get soaked. (Sorry if that's TMI). For me, the Synapse is an occasional bag for medium or cool days. I have hiked with it and it seemed ok afterwards. If it got bad, I would soak it in Mirazyme, which removes odors. (I did this once, not because of sweat but because it had taken an unexpected bath in the Boston Harbor.)
    I actually do not mind my back or shirt being soaked just would rather not have the pack sweaty or smelly.

I guess using Mirazyme could be an option or just not using it in the summer as I kind of can't find any other bag which matches the Synapse.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by latchford View Post
    Been using my Synapse 19 almost every day for the last four months and I haven't had any issues with the back panel/straps stinking so far. I live in a tropical country near the equator, which means hot and humid all year and items like bags seem to disintegrate too fast.

I try not to have too much stuff in the pack though, which might've helped with not keeping the pack flush against my back so YMMV.
    Hi, thank you for replying. I want to use it as my personal bag for work during week which is just a water bottle and a coffee bottle as well as some papers. Otherwise just using it as a diaper bag.

Minneapolis, MN
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just smelled the back and straps of my Synapse, something I never thought I'd do, and it smells like nothing but a backpack.
    I commute by bike and walk everywhere every day, so it gets sweaty. If you put something on your back in the summer, it's going to get sweaty. I'd rather have a sweaty back and backpack than a bad shoulder, which is why I switched to two strap carry. One-strap bags for too many years hurt my shoulder.
    That's just me. You may decide that you'd rather have a less sweaty back. For me, carrying comfort outweighs any potential ick factor. Things are washable.
    Last edited by Rocks; 07-29-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall my Synapse or Smart Alec being any hotter than any other backpack I've used... isn't the air mesh supposed to help with cooling and evaporation, actually? But if you tend to run hot, maybe something like this in between you and the backpack?

FroggTogg Chilly Pad Cooling Towel

I've not used it myself, but have seen it recommended for babywearing in hot climates (where you have the additional warmth of another person, not just a backpack against you). Or I just usually wear a top in a wicking material. That seems to do the trick of keeping moisture moving.

(Have there really been a lot of comments about the S25 being smelly? In several years of reading the Forums I only recall one negative review of the S25 that specifically mentions smell. I kinda feel like the odors depend on the activity level of the user, less so on the fabric. Fortunately TB bags wash up pretty well. I find both with bags - any brand, not just TB - and baby carriers (e.g. an Ergo), I just have to keep on top of things and check for smells if I've been wearing them on a hot day. If I wash the gear right away there are no residual odors. And if there are, then there's the Mirazyme.)
    Last edited by haraya; 07-30-2017 at 10:40 AM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I don't recall my Synapse or Smart Alec being any hotter than any other backpack I've used... isn't the air mesh supposed to help with cooling and evaporation, actually? But if you tend to run hot, maybe something like this in between you and the backpack?

FroggTogg Chilly Pad Cooling Towel

I've not used it myself, but have seen it recommended for babywearing in hot climates (where you have the additional warmth of another person, not just a backpack against you). Or I just usually wear a top in a wicking material. That seems to do the trick of keeping moisture moving.

(Have there really been a lot of comments about the S25 being smelly? In several years of reading the Forums I only recall one negative review of the S25 that specifically mentions smell. I kinda feel like the odors depend on the activity level of the user, less so on the fabric. Fortunately TB bags wash up pretty well. I find both with bags - any brand, not just TB - and baby carriers (e.g. an Ergo), I just have to keep on top of things and check for smells if I've been wearing them on a hot day. If I wash the gear right away there are no residual odors. And if there are, then there's the Mirazyme.)
    Thanks for the reply! I was actually on Reddit.com and people were commenting that air mesh isnt as good and someone mentioned that people who use bags with air mesh/specifically the synapse are more likely those who travel with the bag and not use it every day thus not getting to the point of it starting to have any smells.

But I think I will stick with the synapse..just waiting on the new ballistic nylon materials!
    Or maybe I should get the daylight as my wife wants one too.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, I think the review I saw was someone who likes to hike with the bag. I also switch bags a lot so maybe mine get a chance to air out between uses.

The Daylight is fantastic too but of course a very different beast - more packable, fewer pockets, unpadded straps. I think if I were picking a TB *backpack* to be a diaper bag, my progression would be: Smart Alec (for small babies who make lots of messes and so need lots of gear); then when they are older and need less stuff, a Luminary. My reasoning (air mesh back notwithstanding) would be that, when I'm dealing with a wriggly kid and my hands are messy, I want fewer pockets to deal with, but I want a bag with enough structure to stay open while I reach in for wipes and stuff. The wipability of ballistic nylon is a plus. And of course any TB bag makes a wonderful EDC after you're through with diapers! JM2C, YMMV. Wink Hope you find the perfect bag for you!

Houston, TX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll be fine, then. Mine is my EDC to the office, and I live in Houston (super hot & humid) and regularly use it for travel in Central America and have had absolutely no problems with smell or over heating.
    “Order and simplification are the first steps towards mastery of a subject” ― Thomas Mann