Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Droplets on Absolute Shoulder Strap

Hi guys,

Totally new to the community! :-)

I saw some strange circular shapes / droplets of discoloration I observed on my Maker Bag's Absolute Shoulder Strap last night.

Bag:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Close up:
    Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I bought my Maker's bag this May for an upcoming trip. I have not yet used it, and instead stored it in the box the bag came in during delivery. Although I am living in a hot, humid country, the box is stored in the open in an airy room. I also dropped a small bag of silica gel Desiccant in the same box just in case.

I do not recall seeing the dots when the bag just got sent to me, so had no reason to return the bag back hen. Now I am over my 60 days warranty period. :-(

I tried googling several forums posts, but could not find any reference on this phenomenon. Was wondering if anybody else in the forum also seen similar things on their shoulder straps and how I can rescue it? Will I have to order a replacement strap? I don't mind if it is just a cosmetic damage, but I will be worried if the shoulder strap started to disintegrate before I even started using it.

Would appreciate any shared similar experience or solutions!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the same shoulder strap for quite a few years now, and have not noticed this phenomenon. It looks like the dots are on the inside of the strap? However, if it concerns you, the good news is that the strap is separate from the bag (in fact, that one is actually made by a third party), and can be swapped out if needed, perhaps for a different style.

I'd also recommend calling Tom Bihn customer service to get their feedback.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

MA USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks as if something splashed, spilled or rubbed off on the strap. Perhaps when you were examining it upon arrival or trying it on.

Have you tried to "clean" it with a damp cloth? That's where I would start. As long as the integrity of the strap/pad is not compromised I wouldn't be too concerned.

As @bchaplin said if you're very concerned contact customer service.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    It looks as if something splashed, spilled or rubbed off on the strap. Perhaps when you were examining it upon arrival or trying it on.

Have you tried to "clean" it with a damp cloth? That's where I would start. As long as the integrity of the strap/pad is not compromised I wouldn't be too concerned.

As @bchaplin said if you're very concerned contact customer service.
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I have had the same shoulder strap for quite a few years now, and have not noticed this phenomenon. It looks like the dots are on the inside of the strap? However, if it concerns you, the good news is that the strap is separate from the bag (in fact, that one is actually made by a third party), and can be swapped out if needed, perhaps for a different style.

I'd also recommend calling Tom Bihn customer service to get their feedback.
    Oh dear. I guess it must not be a common phenomenon. I had tried rubbing it with some damp cloth, but it didn't seem to help. I will try contacting customer service and maybe looking into ordering another replacement strap (I suspect because it's been after the 60 day guarantee time period I won't be able to return this strap). Thanks bchaplin and Mundi_Jedi.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to update everybody on the development... Mike from Tom Bihn reached out to me. While he was also confused as to why the strap was like this, he promised to send over a replacement strap! I was genuinely surprised, because my order was 4 days out of the guarantee date.
    I am so happy :-) Tom Bihn really has excellent customer service,

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @chocobocor,

I'm glad that you have gotten support from TB customer service, but I think that the pattern you're seeing is actually light mildewing from high humidity conditions. I haven't seen this on my Absolute straps, but I generally don't use the standard straps that come with many bags (and don't need to upgrade them, since I have more than one Absolute Strap). If I store these for a long time without use, that kind of pattern can develop. I think it's largely cosmetic, but you might be able to clean it off. Don't usually see it on the reverse side of the Absolute strap, where the material is more pliable, though.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear. Thanks @moriond. I decided to get a plastic transparent case and a disposable dehumidifier to store my bag this time. I'd hate for the mildew to come back