Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suitcase?

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suitcase?

It looks like Bihn does not make any suitcases.
    Can folks recommend an American-made suitcase, like the larger one in my attachments?
    (They somehow became turned upside down when they were uploaded.)
    Thanks.
    Mac
    Attached Images Attached Images Suitcase?-img_5183-jpg  Suitcase?-img_5184-jpg 
    Last edited by turas; 07-31-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Michigan, USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you specifically looking for rolling bags? Because I'd classify the Aeronauts, Tri-Star, and Western Flyer as suitcases.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, sorry, rolling bags, 2 or 4 wheels.
    Thanks.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a briggs& Riley 22 inch rolling bag. It has a lifetime warranty. A really great bag. I use it for international travel when I have to have a suit.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seconding Briggs and Riley as a great brand.
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hard to answer without knowing the following answers.

1. What's your budget?
    2. How much do you expect to use it? Daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
    3. How much space do you need? Carry on size, checked size, international size, etc.
    4. Any specific options (weight, expandability, laptop sleeve, fold out garment bag, etc? Some folks prefer 2 wheels which tend to handle various terrains fine (sidewalks, streets, etc) while 4 wheels are easier in typical airport/hotel type areas.

South Pasadena Florida
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 4 wheel spinners are easier to push and will stand upright.

Always take a tape measure to measure the carry on before purchase: presently, the maximum dimensions for a carry-on bag are 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm), including handles and wheels. Dimensions included on a carry-on tag doesn't include the wheels.
    I've opted for 18" spinners.

Most US airlines don't enforce this requirement.
    Most of the regional planes going to smaller airports require you to check a wheeled carry-on at the bottom of the ramp before you enter the plane. Bags that TB makes such as the Aeronaut would fit most of the time. (I used an Aeronaut for awhile until I physically couldn't use it).
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.Confused

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two brands that have lasted us a good long while are Atlantic and Samsonite. A quick search didn't tell me where Atlantic luggage is made (no time to do deeper research Smilie) but I think Samsonite is a US brand. We probably need to replace a roller soon (no-name; was a hand-me-down) and I think I will go with one of those two. Likely a spinner, likely something smaller than the airline dimensions, as I am less and less enthused about heaving a rollaboard up into the overhead compartment these days. I tend to put all my essentials into a TB bag anyway, but sometimes with family travel it's helpful to have a roller amongst the four of us. (But the children are growing, so soon they'll carry all their own freight!)

(Sometimes I'm tempted to look into the rollers that double as seats, especially with all the damned security lines. Maybe for our next big international trip....)

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but the Briggs & Riley is out of my price range.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for a checked bag, rolling.
    > What's your budget?
    About $100
    > How much do you expect to use it? Daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
    We travel once or twice a year (dad and son)
    > How much space do you need? Carry on size, checked size, international size, etc.
    Checked, 62 linear
    > Any specific options (weight, expandability, laptop sleeve, fold out garment bag, etc?
    Nope
    Thanks.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any brand name (samsonite, delsey, atlantic, etc) bag in your price range will probably work for you then fine. I'd check out places like Travel Products - FlyerTalk Forums and The Best Checked Luggage | The Wirecutter for more details.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the answers.
    Maybe I just need to settle for something used or cheap.
    I like that wirecutter article, and the flyertalk forum is great. I had forgotten about that site.

Alabama
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samsonite hard side. Those airplane luggage people don't care about your bag especially if flying in or out of Newark/Liberty airport. I have one small 4 roller silver hard side and it's survived anything you could do to it. I see them for sale at tj maxx and/or Marshalls all the time.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For $100, it will be hard to find something of very good quality.

In addition to the stores mentioned above check out Marshalls, Costco and evenTarget. I'd stay away from t he cheapies at Wal Mart.

And don't forget Ebags.com
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on finding something at TJMaxx/Marshalls/Costco. I bought a cheap (Sharper Image) 26" roller for a trip to Banff/Lake Louise because I had to carry some equipment that was not going to fit in the A45 (think winter jackets and camera tripods). I wouldn't recommend the Sharper Image roller - it's flimsy plastic - but at the price it worked fine for my needs; when not in use it doubles as my bag storage. Smilie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast