Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daylight Briefcase vs. Cadet?

I'm not ever sure which products are new, continuing, or being discontinued; I don't try hard enough to keep up with that matrix.

At the moment, I'm a happy owner of a single TB product: the Co Pilot, and it's great for my typical air travel personal item. I also use it for EDC but it is actually a tad bulky at times for that although still good.

Now I'm looking at the Daylight Briefcase (DLB?....not memorizing countless abbreviations here!) vs. the Cadet.

Is the Cadet being discontinued since it is only available in one color which I don't like?

I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has used either or both, pros and cons.

Thanks...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have the Cadet so can not compare but I do own 2 Daylight Briefcases.
    Depending on your EDC load, I suggest the DLBC because it is lightweight, has enough pockets and can be tucked into other bags for longer travel. If you don't need to protect a laptop, there is enough room for an iPad or kindle in a case, as well as earpods, scarf, gloves, hat, coffee mug and notebook. I use it for air and train travel as my personal item. If I needed a more office specific carry, I would consider the Cadet.
    I have a Co-Pilot that I loved when I got it but it is bulky (retains its shape well) and just got put in the closet after I got the DLBC. Someone who carries bulkier things like lunch or craft projects might love it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cadet owner here! My very first TB bag was the Empire Builder briefcase, which made sense when I was using a Brain Cell to protect my laptop, and when I carried a lot of paperwork back and forth every day. When I became a full time roadwarrior, commuting by air 4-5 days every week, the Empire Builder became more than I wanted to carry as my personal item. I found it to be overbuilt for airline travel - too large and too heavy. I spent two years one-bagging with the Tri-Star, before switching to the Western Flyer + Cadet combo that balanced the load on my shoulders better.

Immediately I appreciated that the Cadet allowed me to use a Cache to protect my laptop, cutting down on the bulk while providing protection with a suspended carry system. The Cadet is about 1/2 the width of the Empire Builder, and yet I can fit 2/3 of the contents of the latter. It also seems to be somewhat shorter although don't hold me to that. The handles are comfortable, and the bag carries over my shoulder with comfort. I do consider it an excellent laptop everyday carry bag, with space for much more than the Daylight would offer for extras. That being said, it's still tall for the widescreen laptops I use. I had a 14" Lenovo when I first bought the Cadet, and now I use a 13" MacBook Pro Retina. There's wasted space above the Cache that I haven't been able to fill with any of the packing cubes. If you're looking to fill every available nook and cranny of your laptop bag, this will irk you. Otherwise, you'll probably think the bag is a few oz heavier than it needs to be given the extra height. Still, I would have no hesitation recommending the Cadet for laptop carry, whether you commute to an office across town, or a client across the country.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant speak to the discontinuation part but I own both and the real issue will be if you will be using it as a laptop bag or a "bits and bobs" bag.

The DLB's tagline is "minimalist briefcase" and since it is only about 2/3 the capacity of the Cadet (9 liters vs 13.5) it can be a bit limiting. If you are just carrying an iPad the DLB is great...but even a 13 inch laptop is a bit of a squeeze with other stuff in the bag.

The Cadet is also more structured than the DLBrief so there are the pluses and minuses of that. Cadet retains its shape better but doesn't stuff into another bag very elegantly.

Compared to the Co-Pilot the DLBrief is slimmer, but not radically different in size (9 liters vs 10). Its organization makes it easier to use as a laptop style bag, but harder to carry a water bottle and odd shaped accessories inside.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The DLBC is the first TB bag I bought, and while it's small, it does hold a surprising amount of stuff. In a pinch, I've managed to fit 2 laptops in it. (Work T450s in a 6z cache, Client T460 naked). With that I've also had my work badge, iPad Mini, MS Arc mouse, 1 power block (shared for both laptops) pen/stylus, lightning cable and USB block, Beats earbuds, handful of Buckley's lozenges, pack of kleenex, couple of USB sticks, USB battery, mints, protein bar, and a small (500ml) bottle of iced tea (though the bottle stuck up through the zipper on the backside pocket).

I wouldn't recommend loading it up like that all the time, as the main compartment zipper was a bit strained, but it does illustrate how versatile this little bag could be when needed. The one thing it can't do though, is accommodate a wider laptop. If you're carrying a bigger laptop, you'll probably want the Cadet.

Also, if you want more organization, you'll probably want the Cadet. In my example above, only the two laptops road in the main compartment. The ipad mini in the front slash pocket, the mouse and work badge in the two front divided sections, and everything else road jumbled in the back zippered pocket.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both and use either as accompaniments to my Tristar depending on the trip.

I find the DLBC great until is gets loads with too much. A laptop and cache will quickly fill it and make it bulky with other accessories.

A cadet is padded and therefore, I don't carry a laptop in a cache so it feels much bigger overall.

I wrote a review of the cadet here making a few observations about it. (http://Pilot Fans - Consider the Cad...4&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Aeronaut 45 (Black/Steel), Tristar (Steel/Island), Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Ristretto 13 (Steel/NWS), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel), Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I have both and use either as accompaniments to my Tristar depending on the trip.

I find the DLBC great until is gets loads with too much. A laptop and cache will quickly fill it and make it bulky with other accessories.

A cadet is padded and therefore, I don't carry a laptop in a cache so it feels much bigger overall.

I wrote a review of the cadet here making a few observations about it. (http://Pilot Fans - Consider the Cad...4&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great review, perseffect. Thanks.