Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 45 vs 30 vs Tristar

I have the Tristar and love it to bits
    I have a longer trip coming up in November 1 month which I will need to take more things than I normally do as its a trip to a variety of different areas in mexico
    I know that even though with the tristar I can still overpack and take things I don't use so I am going to have to really edit myself.

but I am thinking that if the tristar was a dualstar I would be able to get away with it LOL (hmmm maybe a bag with the same dimensions as the tristar but with a clamshell type design might be something to create)

I had thought at one point abuot the 30 but was thinking I probably can not get much more in it.
    so then I am thinking about the 45 but wondering if it is too big for a carry on? I will be on Aeromexico, Interjet and WestJet.
    I never like checking my bags (on the way home if we have to we check my partners bag.... can not like my precious TB go in cargo)

any thoughts?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry an Aero45 on board small domestic flights all the time. Nice thing about these flights is that all the bags with wheels get gate checked so there is usually good room on the overheads. Even the Embraer ERJ145 will take an Aeronaut 45 on the right side of the plane...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you think you overpack with the Tri-Star, I'm afraid the A45 will encourage you to carry more, not less. No experience with the A30, but I have used the "Dualstar" for years. By which I mean the Western Flyer. I recently had the (mis)fortune to fly Spirit for the first time - red-eye domestically connecting to Cartagena, Colombia. I discovered the WF was the largest bag I own that fits within the 'Personal Item' limits, avoiding any carry-on bag fees. I packed five days' worth of clothes plus a mirrorless camera system into the WF, and boarded all four Spirit flights without the gate agents taking a second glance at what I was carrying on board.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have carried a Tri-Star for years and got an A45 less than a year ago and the contrasts between them are layered for me really.
    They are just not that similar and the A45 is so much more cavernous for sure but is also not as geared to my needs as an only bag at least not that I have figured out just yet.

I can get a few days up to maybe 4 into the T.S. but I also never pack it with just clothes as there is so much great organization that I can easily take a pretty decent assortment of other stuff as well.
    Computer/s and support gear and everything else that I travel with can be organized into my T.S. but probably mostly because I have been practicing with it for so long too!

The A45 on the other hand easily swallows 10 days worth of clothes for me and a few spare pairs of shoes but then is pretty huge and heavy and without the space I need for the other stuff that I will need on a trip.
    So far I can not resist stuffing the A45 with clothes and every time I am amazed at the capacity but then I need to find another way to carry all of my support stuff too.

The A45 just feels geared to clothes and soft stuff to me more than the multipurose feeling I have for the T.S. overall but I am committed to adapting somehow and have been experimenting with packing the A45 for a 1 bag trip.........sort of.

I find that I really prefer to not 1 bag and have a separate smaller personal bag regardless of the means of travel and I am more happy when I go with that.

So I seem to bring a Pilot or Synapse to support the A45 all the time and sometimes do the same with the T.S. and in the end they are both so exceptional that I go a little crazy deciding how much bag I really do need?

I try not to fly these days at all so I can just bring them both!

I bet that doesn't help much!?
    Last edited by AVService; 08-11-2017 at 03:33 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks. I also travel with a camera bag as my personal item. I do worry that if I have the 45 that I will stuff it too much and then it will be too much to carry with my camera bag.
    don't get me wrong I LOVE my tristar I just think this trip it might be a bit limiting. Maybe I will do a test pack

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I have carried a Tri-Star for years and got an A45 less than a year ago and the contrasts between them are layered for me really.
    They are just not that similar and the A45 is so much more cavernous for sure but is also not as geared to my needs as an only bag at least not that I have figured out just yet.

I can get a few days up to maybe 4 into the T.S. but I also never pack it with just clothes as there is so much great organization that I can easily take a pretty decent assortment of other stuff as well.
    Computer/s and support gear and everything else that I travel with can be organized into my T.S. but probably mostly because I have been practicing with it for so long too!

The A45 on the other hand easily swallows 10 days worth of clothes for me and a few spare pairs of shoes but then is pretty huge and heavy and without the space I need for the other stuff that I will need on a trip.
    So far I can not resist stuffing the A45 with clothes and every time I am amazed at the capacity but then I need to find another way to carry all of my support stuff too.

The A45 just feels geared to clothes and soft stuff to me more than the multipurose feeling I have for the T.S. overall but I am committed to adapting somehow and have been experimenting with packing the A45 for a 1 bag trip.........sort of.

I find that I really prefer to not 1 bag and have a separate smaller personal bag regardless of the means of travel and I am more happy when I go with that.

So I seem to bring a Pilot or Synapse to support the A45 all the time and sometimes do the same with the T.S. and in the end they are both so exceptional that I go a little crazy deciding how much bag I really do need?

I try not to fly these days at all so I can just bring them both!

I bet that doesn't help much!?
    I totally agree with this.

The Tristar can work well as a 1 bag option for fewer days worth of clothes but with all the laptops/electronics etc that are part of abnormal carry these days.

The A45 certainly holds much more but just doesn't have the organisation built in so I also carry a small second bag for that. Seems counterintuitive to need a second bag in combination with the larger volume A45 but it's the organisation driving it. Having said that, if you use a DLBC/Pilot etc lightly packed it can fit into the main compartment of the A45 if that is also lightly packed.

Either works well but the Tristar is just more functional (albeit for shorter trips or ones requiring more washing).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Aeronaut 45 (Black/Steel), Tristar Black/Wasabi, Cadet (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Black Halcyon/Iberian), Ristretto (Steel/NWS), Small Cafe Bag Navy/Steel, Daylight Backpack (Burnt Orange), Daylight Briefcase (Black Halcyon) PLUS more 'bits' than you can shake a stick at!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdophoto View Post

but I am thinking that if the tristar was a dualstar I would be able to get away with it LOL (hmmm maybe a bag with the same dimensions as the tristar but with a clamshell type design might be something to create)
    I find my A30 a bit small, but love my D36 (the medium road duffle, aka the Doggienaut36). Since I don't use the backpack straps, I love the D36.

I love my WF, but find it a bit small, too, and wish it was TS sized, but with the same format as the WF.

I recently bought a Briggs & Riley Transcend clamshell cabin bag. 12.5" x 18" x 8.5" So it's sort of halfway between the TS and the WF, but totally different packing layout, and it will slip over the handle of a rolling suitcase. I haven't used it yet, but I like the look of it. It opens clamshell style in two halves, with one size zippered and the other side with elasticized pouches. The front has an organizer pocket a bit like the Cadet. The back has a built in luggage tag and the slip through for the rolling luggage handle. However, I'm using my Tom Bihn Absolute Shoulder Strap with it. An Eagle Creek Specter Medium Packing Folder fits perfection in one half of this bag.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 08-14-2017 at 05:06 AM.