Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB Historians: What material is my 2013 S25?

I purchased an S25 about 4 years ago and it has held up incredibly well. I'm considering upgrading to a new one and using this one for hiking, etc. I'm a bit torn on which fabric to go with and am hoping someone can help me identify the fabric for my current S25. I'm thinking it's an older 1050 ballistic nylon? Maybe a Cordura of some kind? I'm just not sure.

It's "softer" than my new-ish Pilot with a slightly smaller weave. I checked back on my old receipt and the fabric is not indicated there.

I know it's hard to tell from pics (below), but I'm hoping someone can tell by the ship date of August 19, 2013. (Hey - it's almost exactly four years old!

TB Historians: What material is my 2013 S25?-img_0879-jpg
    TB Historians: What material is my 2013 S25?-img_0880-jpg
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Nebulous Gray/Northwest Sky) daily carry, Original, First-Run Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) knock-around, weekend use

Special Teams/On the Bench: Daylight Briefcase (Grey), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi), Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi), Pilot (Black/Northwest Sky), Synapse 19 (Black/Iberian), Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Original Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), Ristretto (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (French Blue/Steel)

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi ScottE22!

I believe that your Synapse 25 is made with 1000d Cordura fabric.

The 1000d Cordura fabric is being replaced with the 525d Ballistic Nylon (also from the Cordura company) on the Synapse backpacks, as well as on a number of other TOM BIHN bags.

The Synapse backpacks are also still made from 400d Halcyon ripstop nylon.

For a short period of time, the Synapse backpacks were also being made 420d Parapack fabric.
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi @ScottE22,

To add details to @maverick's post, your Synapse 25 is 1000d Cordura. Parapack options for the Synapses first became available about 3 months after you bought your bag. (See the blog post recap of debuts for November 2013: https://blog.tombihn.com/recap-debuts )

The switch to newer zippers with gun metal grey zipper tabs instead of cord pulls took place about 14 months later (than your purchase) for the Synapse 25. The new 525d Ballistic Nylon has a finer thread texture than your 1050d Ballistic Nylon Cadet. It also looks even "blacker" somehow -- probably because of the denser, smaller thread texture forming a "flatter" reflective surface -- both @tpnl and I agree upon this in our impressions of the new 525d Black Ballistic Nylon used with the Synapse and Luminary. See, for example, the Synapse 25 in ballistic nylon… thread:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/questions...tic-nylon.html

HTH

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 08-16-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Forum Member
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @moriond and @maverick! Cordura was my initial thought, but I tried comparing it to the videos on the Materials page and the weave didn't look quite right. I do remember being a tiny bit jealous of the Parapack materials coming out shortly after I bought mine...

I'm considering the black halcyon for my "upgrade" pack but it is SO different from all of my other packs. That might be good, or it might not. I really like the look and one thing about my new-ish Pilot that I don't like is the "stiffness" when I'm trying to open it up. The "trouble" with TB is that the bags last so long I'll be "stuck" with it for a while whatever I buy... A good problem to have!
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Nebulous Gray/Northwest Sky) daily carry, Original, First-Run Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) knock-around, weekend use

Special Teams/On the Bench: Daylight Briefcase (Grey), Aeronaut 30 (Black/Wasabi), Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi), Pilot (Black/Northwest Sky), Synapse 19 (Black/Iberian), Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Original Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), Ristretto (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi), Small Cafe Bag (French Blue/Steel)

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @ScottE22,

You might like the new 525d Ballistic option. Although Parapack is a nice fabric option, it shows scuffs a lot more easily when use in bags like the Synapse. Here's an excerpt from a quote by @adalangdon taken from an older thread that discusses Parapack:

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I love the look of parapack, but have recently begun to wonder about it as an external fabric. It *is* durable, but it shows wear more a lot more easily than cordura. A lot. Also-- and I'm just speaking from experience-- after my partner used my black parapack/Steel S25 daily for half a year, there was an abrasion mark on the bottom of the bag and of course, several scratches. He works in an office and takes public transport like me, and is slightly careless in his bag-handling, so the bag is (to me anyway) more worn than I'd expect it to be. I took the bag back from him and handed him my Grey/Wasabi S25 which he can toss around with abandon. The Grey S25 has travelled overseas with him and racked up more miles overall, and still looks brand new.

I've also seen some really beat-up parapack SEs and can't imagine any of the other fabrics looking as worn as that. That's why the parapack bag I'm most comfortable using are the parapack swifts-- they have a ballistic nylon base that will get beat up instead of the shiny parapack. Yes, I know bags are meant to be used, but I also want my bags to stay nice-looking!

FYI the other bags that *were* made of parapack were the SE, Swift, and all sizes of the cafe bag. The cafe bags were either parapack inside and outside, or parapack outside with dyneema interior. And on the accessories front, the Snake Charmer and clear organiser wallets, I think (missed the latter, bah). As for whether they'll be made again in parapack, you never know, etc. but IIRC from my own enquiries when some of these bags were selling out, the answer was "probably not".
    I happen to like the Halcyon options for the Synapse, and I'm particularly locked in because I generally use my S25 in original Steel 400d Dyneema (now called Halcyon) from the very first production batch -- the only S25 production batch to make this bag with the narrower backpack strap spacing of the earlier Synapses in the S19 size, which is more comfortable for my smaller body build. By my estimate the S25 is slightly but noticeably heavier to carry in 525d Ballistic than the earlier Cordura models, but it's not by a lot, and may not be noticeable if your size and body mass is larger than someone just under 5'4" all, and who wears petite small clothing.

I've tried the Side Effects in 525d Ballistic Nylon, and I really like how much more pliable the fabric is compared to the earlier 1050d Ballistic Nylon models of the SE.

If you're curious, you could first order a Side Effect or Cubelet in this weight of 525d Ballistic Nylon, or else ask customer support to send you fabric swatches.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Northern Colorado, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @ScottE22,
    <snip>
    If you're curious, you could first order a Side Effect or Cubelet in this weight of 525d Ballistic Nylon, or else ask customer support to send you fabric swatches.

HTH

moriond
    That's a good call. I'm not in love with any of the S25 color combos currently in production (I'd love either fabric in black with an Iberian interior... My current one is black/wasabi so I don't want that and black/nw sky just doesn't "pop" enough for me...).

I could always use a Cubelet. I mean, who couldn't? I'm sure there are a few other accessories on my list I could combine to make the order significant enough to justify the shipping...