Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brain Bag as Personal Item?

Hello,

I have been doing some onebagging on flights lately and have come to enjoy (?) ultra-cheap airlines like Frontier and Spirit. With ultra-cheap comes ultra-light, so I've been using a 25L Exped bag for 2-4 day adventures.

Last time I put it in the measuring station at Frontier I realized that I could carry a larger bag and sought out something that would fix the 14x18x8 limits of these airlines. The Brain Bag seems to be the ideal bag for this if it weren't over-packed.

Has anybody used the Brain Bag consistently as their "personal item" and without hassle from these airlines?

Thanks for the help!

--NG

Forum Member
    Woodbridge, VA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never flown on those airlines but I've never had a problem with the Brain Bag as a personal item on United, Southwest, or Virgin. Admittedly I don't fly all that much, though.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used a BB on a European low budged airline once with no problem.
    My problem was disciplin though: I had packed it so fill that it had become too whide (no body cared about that, lucky me!) but that is something to keep in mind.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    I have used a BB on a European low budged airline once with no problem.
    My problem was disciplin though: I had packed it so fill that it had become too whide (no body cared about that, lucky me!) but that is something to keep in mind.

Ilkyway
    Hi Ilkyway,

Which budget airline was it so that I may get on their website and see what their personal item dimensions are?

Thanks!

--NG

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends. I took the Smart Alec on Alitalia and they told me it was too big as a personal item. I was annoyed.
    Aeronaut 30 in Aubergine/Wasabi
    Ristretto in Olive/Cayenne
    Small cafe in Plum Cordura/Olive
    Western Flyer in Black/Island
    Synapse 19 in Burnt Orange/Northwest Sky
    Smart Alec in Black/Iberian
    Synapse 25 in Red Blend/Northwest Sky
    Small Cafe bag in Red Blend/Navy (EDCB)
    Accessories:travel tray , Travel Laundry Stuff Sack, 3D Organizer Cube, Set of A30 Aether Packing Cubes, Side Effect, and a Double Organizer Pouch I use as a wallet.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear here: there is a personal item and a carry on item. The personal item is generaly „purse-sized“ and much smaller than the carry on. My answer up there was geared towards carry on as I read the question as if that was meant.

I am not sure but it was highly propable easy jet because that is what I fly most. My experiance so far: if it is not a giant „hicking-backpack“ zhat goes way over your head and down past your hips or a hard case roller suitcase most times no one will even check the size of your bag. But to be on the safe side I always try to make sure that I am within the rules. Gives me peace of mind and also is… well the right thing to do, isn‘t it?

So in short: no European Airline will view a BB as a personal item. But if not used to the capable debth all of them will allow it as a carry on.
    I happen to have the messurements of three airlines at hand:
    Norwegian:
    Carry on: 55x40x23
    Personal Item: 25x33x20

Ryanair:
    Carry on: 55x40x20
    Personal Item: 20x35x20

EasyJet:
    Carry on: 56x45x25

This is all in centimeter (sorry) and both Norwegian and Ryanair also aply a weight limit. Of cause all of these are upgradable but I tent to save my money for the destination rather than use it on the flight :-)

Hope this helps
    Ilkyway

ETA and from this a SA always would work as carry on but only either not full or through generosity of the airline staff as a personal item. I have used a SA for most of my travels.
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 08-31-2017 at 12:17 AM.
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used my Brain Bag on flights a few times as a personal item. I've had trouble getting it in and out of the under seat area when it's too full because the bag is so wide. It's a bit of a pain. I try to get everything out that I need before the flight takes off. Otherwise, it's disruptive to those around you to wrestle with it.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I had a BB years ago (my first TB bag, maybe?) but it made me feel like a linebacker so I traded it. Still, I've been thinking of getting a new one because I just went back to school and I have so many books and papers to haul around now it's mind-boggling; I think the BB could help with that. I would also want to use it on a trip from US-South Africa later this fall, flying most likely United, British Airways, or South African. I'd like to use a BB as my carry-on and a Co-Pilot as my personal item. Do any of you have any experience with this route/airlines and think this would work? Being forced to check bags crushes my soul.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staypuppy View Post
    I try to get everything out that I need before the flight takes off. Otherwise, it's disruptive to those around you to wrestle with it.
    Yes, I do the same. I put my wallet, book, earphones, and water bottle in my pockets while waiting in line, then toss the bag under the seat as soon as I get there. If I do things correctly I should never have to get into the bag during the flight.

When you used the BB as a personal item, was it on a Frontier or Spirit flight that defined a personal item as 18x14x8?

Thanks!

--NG

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - No, I haven’t tried those airlines. My experiences are with United, Southwest and Hawaiian Air.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk