Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Michigan, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Halcyon and mold - can I salvage my shop bag?

My poor small shop bag in zest was neglected for a few weeks. I THOUGHT it was just housing some notebooks and pens, but when I recently went to clean out the bag for a grocery trip, I also found moldy clementines in one of the pockets. Gross.

I tried cleaning it using a strong vinegar water solution (and scrubbing a little) but the pocket still has dark stains that show through to the outside of the bag.

I read the TB recommendations but I want to know - has anyone ever has success with cleaning mold from halcyon (dyneema)? And if so, how'd you do it?
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use it as a swim bag, and there was a swimsuit that got left in there, resulting in a mildewy smell to the suit and temporarily to the bag. I hand washed the base of the bag with a mild soap solution in my sink. The base is slightly discolored but the material is strong and the smell went away. The stains might just be strong pigment that won't go away, but isn't inherently harmful now that you have washed and cleaned the area.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    My experience is not with Halcyon. I saved some clothing, towels and blankets. Here's what I did.

I took a plastic container (66 quart size) and half filled it with hot water. I added a half gallon of white cider vinegar and the clothing. I added more water, until it was three-quarters full. Then I added five cups of baking soda. I swished it around and then let it sit for about twelve hours. A sniff test had dubious results (it still seemed to smell moldy), so I added the rest of the gallon of vinegar and a few more cups of baking soda. I swished it again. Then I let it sit for another day. All the items went through the washing machine and dryer and were fine.

This was repeated for the towels and again for the blankets. One batch soaked for five days. A red scarf got mixed up with the towels and turned a few towels purple, but a bleach bath corrected that.

The Halcyon fabric might be okay in a vinegar bath, but I can't say for certain. I would avoid bleach. In my research, the strongest solution that achieved good results was the vinegar and baking soda combination. I'd sprinkle baking soda liberally in the pocket, then pour white vinegar into the pocket. When it stops foaming, I'd gently scrub it with a toothbrush or cloth. Repeat the gentle scrubbing on the outside. If that doesn't appear to harm the fabric, I would then soak it as above, checking it every hour.

This soak might interfere with the water resistant coating, so a Nik Wax treatment might be helpful after you are done cleaning the bag.

This is what I'd do, but I'd contact customer service FIRST to see what they suggest. Please let us know how it turns out. elisa

Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try Mirazyme. I'm not sure if it only works on odors as opposed to stains, but maybe someone else has tried it.

https://www.tombihn.com/products/mir...nt=29062242759

In general, I use Dawn for stain removal, but I'd probably do it as a last resort in case it's too harsh for dyneema.
    Last edited by KatrinkaWinkle; 09-02-2017 at 06:22 AM.
    EDC: SK/SCB, Swift for knitting, DLBC for light carry days, shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: indigo, kiwi, aubergine, verde, navy, zest dyneema, nordic dyneema, nordic halcyon, black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would avoid bleach; it's particularly unkind to the strength of nylon fabrics. I've seen a few suggestions for vinegar and borax solutions, alone and in combination, for mildew. I wouldn't combine them directly, as they are on opposite sides of the pH scale. I would try alternating them. They are (relatively) mild and shouldn't unduly damage the fabric - but the above-suggested contact with customer service is worth a shot, too!

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a NWS shop bag which picked up some soil stains on its bottom from a wet field. Although the surface dirt came off there remains a stain/shadow in the fabric itself. Haven't had much luck cleaning Halcyon compared to cordura and Ballistic which come up clean much easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)