Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co-pilot with camera insert

I'd like to put a camera insert into the main compartment of the co-pilot. The one I'm looking at with is

w.wotancraft.tw/product/waterproof-shock-resistant-insert-small

It's dimensions are 30x20x11cm

It will be used to hold a mirrorless camera that's 9.5cm tall (Sony A7), which corresponds to the 11cm width dimension of the insert.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried or could imagine this insert in the co-pilot. It is the 11cm width of the insert that's troubling. However both the insert and co-pilot are not rigid. Any thoughts on how usable/possible the above setup is, especially if the front pockets are not stuffed full.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the Ape Case cubeze 39 in the copilot this year. Its dimensions are 25.4 x 15.2 x 9.5. This insert fit but was tight even without the front pockets stuffed. I think you'll find your insert pretty compressed in the co-pilot.

My test pack photo for the cubeze is on this thread-
    https://forums.tombihn.com/packing-l...tml#post143957
    Last edited by Traveltech; 09-05-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree that your insert is going to be too cramped for the Co-Pilot. Some people have used the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (PCSB) with custom-designed camera inserts (see, for example, the YouTube video by Victoria Diaz in post #42 of a thread about camera bags, but your accessory, which is longer than the Co-Pilot (close to the larger Pilot in length) is Dimensions: 11.75" x 7.75" x 3" / 300 x 200 x 80 mm, so you would definitely exceed the depth of 8 cm, even if the exterior dimensions of the PCSB match that of your insert.

There are some old posts and videos for the APE Case Cubeze, both a smaller model than the one used by @Traveltech (ACQB33) in both Pilot and Co-Pilot. (See, for example, this insert in this thread and in
    video reviews of the Pilot and Co-Pilot by @itsablur.

Nancy (@ncb4) also showed other picture of the ACQ839 model used by @Traveltech in the Co-Pilot in this post

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can find an older version of the Timbuk2 Snoop in size extra small, that just fits. I have a thread in here that shows pics. Sorry, don't have time to link to it now....

Oh, and both the small and medium Wotancraft inserts fit in the Makers Bag.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bijouxandbeads View Post
    If you can find an older version of the Timbuk2 Snoop in size extra small, that just fits. I have a thread in here that shows pics. Sorry, don't have time to link to it now....

Oh, and both the small and medium Wotancraft inserts fit in the Makers Bag.
    @Bijouxandbeads,

I think your posted pictures of the Timbuk2 Snoop and the Wotancraft inserts are in this post (#5) in The Maker's Bag for Photography.

I'll just excerpt one of the pictures (Timbuk2 and Wotancraft side by side):

There are many other pictures in that post, looking down on the inserts with different load-ups of cameras -- mainly shown inside the Maker's Bag.

HTH

moriond

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks moriond, you always seem to be able to find appropriate historical threads in this forum! I've wondered if you have some secret spreadsheet defined by topic...

I did find one of the other threads I was thinking about - a two parter I started back in 2015 where I stuck that Timbuk2 into a whole bunch of different bags, Pilot, Co-Pilot, even the packing cube shoulder bag (for a very tight fit but doable if minimal gear). I can't find Part Two so don't know what pics are in there, but here is a pic of the Co-Pilot with the Timbuk2 XS insert:
    Co-pilot with camera insert-img_7547-jpg