Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question S19 v S25 - NYC people?

I have a luminary and I LOVE it. It's my EDC and generally crammed full. I bought an s19 for days when I needed more space.

So far, I haven't used the s19--except to try it on--and it's been about 5 weeks. It is surprisingly less bigger than the Luminary than my brain expected. And the Luminary is having the desired effect--I'm slowly cutting back on things I carry. (Less pain for my arthritis.)

My desired everyday carry is a small Freudian slip that functions as a portable stationary desk, my yarn bag, a sweater, and some stuff bags/makeup bags of washi, makeup and a book. I carry a Side Kick as a purse and sometimes put those in the bag as well, then I carry the sweater and my knitting.

If I genuinely want a bigger backpack, should I return the S19 and get an S25? The s19 chin pocket doesn't fit anything I carry regularly and the wasted space is annoying me. It feels like my Side Kick could live in the pocket of the S25. Opinions/advice?

Is there someone with an S25 in NYC area, that could meet me and let me try yours on?

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    I have a luminary and I LOVE it. It's my EDC and generally crammed full. I bought an s19 for days when I needed more space.

So far, I haven't used the s19--except to try it on--and it's been about 5 weeks. It is surprisingly less bigger than the Luminary than my brain expected. And the Luminary is having the desired effect--I'm slowly cutting back on things I carry. (Less pain for my arthritis.)

My desired everyday carry is a small Freudian slip that functions as a portable stationary desk, my yarn bag, a sweater, and some stuff bags/makeup bags of washi, makeup and a book. I carry a Side Kick as a purse and sometimes put those in the bag as well, then I carry the sweater and my knitting.

If I genuinely want a bigger backpack, should I return the S19 and get an S25? The s19 chin pocket doesn't fit anything I carry regularly and the wasted space is annoying me. It feels like my Side Kick could live in the pocket of the S25. Opinions/advice?

Is there someone with an S25 in NYC area, that could meet me and let me try yours on?
    For me, the bottom pocket of the S25 is one of the best things about it. The Side Kick, when not crammed absolutely full, fits nicely in it and that solves the most annoying problem of all backpacks for me, namely, having access to my purse without opening up the entire bag. The bottom pocket is the best!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, the bottom pocket of the S25 is one of the best things about it. The Side Kick, when not crammed absolutely full, fits nicely in it and that solves the most annoying problem of all backpacks for me, namely, having access to my purse without opening up the entire bag. The bottom pocket is the best!
    Blergh. That is exactly what I want. How deep is the center pocket of the bag on the s25 and are your arms long?

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Blergh. That is exactly what I want. How deep is the center pocket of the bag on the s25 and are your arms long?
    Both the water bottle pocket and the main pocket are deep, and with the main pocket especially, sometimes annoyingly so. I do wish the main pocket stopped where the bottom pocket started and I could have a bigger/deeper bottom pocket.

NJ
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both bags and find that the S25 doesn't look huge when not full (especially in a dark color), which is nice. I used to carry an S19 exclusively but when I started carrying the bigger bag I found it was nice to have the extra space when I unexpectedly ended up with extra stuff to carry. Now I'm about to move up to a Brain Bag since I have to carry a lot more gear for work than I did in the past. But back to your questions. The other thing to think about, being in NYC, is where do you want to go with your bag? I have successfully taken the S19 into places like the Met museum without being asked to check it, which I doubt you could do with the S25.

But, with what you think you want to carry, I'd recommend the S25, especially for that great bottom pocket that can swallow your Sidekick. And it's nice to be able to have both hands free, especially navigating the city.
    Eat well, travel often.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The s 25 is very big. It's feels much larger, even though it's supposed to be only 6 liters. I have fit things in the s 25 I would never dream of getting into the s 19.

That being said my daily carry in NYC is the s 19. For me smaller is better. If I have a big bag I'll fill it with stuff. Really I just want my water bottle, lunch, and kindle.

Every now and then I will bust out my s25(when grabbing groceries, general shopping)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone on this thread. The Luminary is my EDC and it's perfect. I am looking for the backpack for extraordinary circumstances, so I returned the S19. :-)