Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    East Sussex, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Swift for knitting: what are your essential accessories?

I've decided to order a Swift to be my knitting project bag and just trying to work out what accessories to order. I'm a bit overwhelmed by deciding on knitting tool pouches, stuff sacks and OPs... What are your must haves?

As background I already have a halcyon side kick that I could throw in for my personal essentials if necessary, and a MCB as well as a smattering of smaller OPs.
    Last edited by NoSnow; 09-16-2017 at 02:02 AM.

Bethlehem, PA - USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use a lot of pouches in mine, but everyone's organizational style is different.

In the back clear pocket, I carry a combined ruler/needle gauge, a size 1 24" circ for quick picking up of stitches, and any loose papers. The front clear pocket is generally empty, but sometimes I put knitting cash for knit night in there, or sometimes my mobile but the weight pulls it down and I don't like that.

Inside the main compartment I use a plastic file folder slipped in vertically for whatever current patterns I'm working on. I have a slim notions bag in front of that, and then whatever projects I'm working on. I am finding that the longer I knit, the fewer project bags I use. I seem to prefer clear food storage bags. Having said that, my favorite project bags are either the small or medium YSS.

A Packing Cube Shoulder Bag also makes a nice project bag. The project sits in the main section, and I use the front zippered pocket for notions specific to that project, for the pattern (fits an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet folded in half), and extra needles for that project. A PCSB fits exactly inside a Swift horizontally.

I hope you love your Swift. It's my favorite knitting bag ever. I love that if I want to, I can take my wallet/keys/cell out of my purse and just carry the Swift if I'm going to be waiting somewhere, or to family events.
    EDC: SK/SCB, Swift for knitting, DLBC for light carry days, shop bags
    TRAVEL: A45
    FAVORITE TB COLORS: indigo, kiwi, aubergine, verde, navy, zest dyneema, nordic dyneema, nordic halcyon, black halcyon, viridian, alphaviolet
    FAVORITE LINING COLORS: wasabi, northwest sky

Winnipeg, Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is totally a personal preference thing, but to me, the essential TB accessories are:

- mini clear OP for on-the-go notions (scissors, a few stitch markers, tape measure, tapestry needles)
    - yarn stuff sacks of various sizes for project bags (travel stuff sacks and laundry stuff sacks would also work well, but I like the clip on the outside of the YSS)
    - a medium OP for my fixed circular needles
    - a small double OP for notions within one of the Swift's clear pockets
    - knitting tool pouches for larger DPNs (my sock set of DPNs are in their original case)

You can see my knitting set up, including my Swift, in this thread.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you knit on the go a lot? If so, you definitely need a travel tray. This clever bag opens up into a very nice yarn bowl for corralling your yarn at coffee shops so it does not end up on a not so clean table or rolling around the floor. If you are a 2AAT sock knitter or do color work, two small travel trays will each hold a ball of yarn to keep them from tangling (you can get two small TTs inside one large TT- just sayin'). Organization is completely individual, but you might consider a Freudian slip. I have a MB FS in my Swift that holds patterns, a small notebook, my wallet, spare needles and an 3DOP for notions. If you are one of those folks who carry around your pattern in a page protector, you can simply put your pattern vertically underneath one of the clear pockets in the Swift- they will stay upright and out of the way. I do use the knitting tool pouches- the small one has reinforcing nylon at the edges that helps cable needles from poking out, and I find that I personally like a mini clear OP for stitch markers and chart tape, and my small scissors. I put the pouch tools in the clear pocket of the Swift so the zippers don't cause an issue. I am also a big fan of YSS as project bags, at least for smaller projects. The Swift is my favorite knitting bag (love the fact that the handles will fit on your shoulder), and I am awaiting the bag to come out in some of the new colors to acquire a second. It makes a great EDC bag as well.

eastern Washington
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite accessories are:
    clear quarter packing cube - I keep circular needles in one side and stitch markers, cable needles, darning needles/chibis, in clear organizer pouches along with tape measures, folded up patterns I'm not using and a small notebook and mini pen in the other side.
    travel tray - large and small, I like them for their yarn bowl qualities
    yss/tss - I use these all the time - I must have 20 of them. I like the clear bottom yss because I can turn it upside and down and see what has fallen to the bottom - like stitch markers and tape measures. Sometimes the tss is better because the bottom is oval and not round and fits in bags better.
    guardian light - helpful for finding stuff in the bottom of the bag and also if you flip it outside it increases visibility when you are walking to your car or bus stop.

Forum Member
    East Sussex, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I am just compiling my wishlist while I wait for new colours to come into stock. I have just started using some interchangeable circular needles, which are awesome, so will grab a couple of knitting pouch tools for those (and add some more needles on my Christmas list!). Can't wait to get my order in!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Swift for knitting: what are your essential accessories? my knitting bag...

fredletsTravels
    http://www.fredletsTravels.com
    #TeamUltraviolet

Forum Member
    Indiana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoy all of your YSS pictures with your knitting projects. However, I’m a crocheter. By the time I finish an Afghan, it fills a LSB!

Forum Member
    New England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at the medium cafe bag freudian slip or the small cafe bag one if you don't like digging to the bottom of the bag for pouches. I have the MCB FS and it holds patterns, crochet hooks, a ruler and scissors in the upper pockets for immediate access. And my notions pouch (a Q-Kit), an OP of DPNs and my tablet live in the lower ones. It sits along one side of the bag and conforms to the bag's contour.

Using a combo of OPs with key straps and the built-in clear pockets (for light-weight items, heavy ones collapse the bag) would organize it nicely as well, this is just another configuration to consider. It really depends on how you'd like to access your tools.
    Last edited by twosandalz; 06-28-2018 at 09:42 PM. Reason: clarity