Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best accessory for 1 change of clothes (male)

Not sure if this should go somewhere else. Could all the professional packers help me out?

I am starting to commute to work by bike. Right now, I am using an A45 packing cube. The smaller one doesn't quite fit, and the larger one is too big, but I use it. I'd like to find the "perfect" packing cube/bag for a pair of chinos, folded dress shirt, socks, shorts, undershirt plus belt. Any suggestions? I can go with a random packing cube, just want something that about approximates what I need so that it doesn't flop all around.

Thanks!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To clarify, right now I use an Osprey bag and will probably continue to use an Osprey bag, but I'm sure there is a TB accessory out there which would perfectly compact or fit my change of clothes, in the bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you putting the packing cube in?

If you want to keep everything un wrinkled, I'd pick an Eagle Creek Specter packing folder. The small size should work for a single outfit. By putting the shorts and socks in the "folds" of the pants, you'll prevent creases and keep the packing folder very rectangular.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 10-02-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using a large snake charmer for this purpose. Pants on side, undershirt/underwear/buttondown on the other, all rolled up tight. Socks crammed wherever they'll fit. Depending on how I'm packing or what bag I'm using, I sometimes use an ebags medium packing cube, it ends up flatter but wider.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post

If you want to keep everything un wrinkled, I'd pick an Eagle Creek Specter packing folder. Tsmall size should work for a single outfit. By putting the shorts and socks in the "folds" of the pants, you'll prevent creases and keep the packing folder very rectangular.
    I'm putting it in an Osprey. I haven't tried the packing folders. Will that pack the entire outfit (minus shoes)?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pvn View Post
    I've been using a large snake charmer for this purpose. Pants on side, undershirt/underwear/buttondown on the other, all rolled up tight. Socks crammed wherever they'll fit. Depending on how I'm packing or what bag I'm using, I sometimes use an ebags medium packing cube, it ends up flatter but wider.
    You sound like a very tiny person. (I say this as a wannabe midget myself.) Is everything super wrinkly or does it not matter for your outfit?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pack jeans, leather belt, tank top, and button down SS shirt into an Eagle Creek Specter Half Cube (10x7x3"). Everything is nicely folded and my shirt is casual so it doesn't need to be ironed... this fills the half cube (or a compression half cube) well. I usually wear the same shoes riding in that I do at work (woohoo for business casual California!)...if I do switch shoes for some reason, I have them in a separate ECSpecter shoe bag to keep the dirty soles away from my clothes. Both bags fit along with a lunch bag in my panniers or into my backpack if I want to use that for some reason. I only found TB a month or so ago, so haven't built a stash of the organizers yet (most of them are in production still anyways).
    Oh, and I'm a short female, but not skinny.
    The Full size EC cube is 14 x 10 x 3...
    Try making a nicely folded stack of your stuff & measuring it...
    Good luck!
    Last edited by G42; 10-02-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to keep everything un wrinkled, I'd pick an Eagle Creek Specter packing folder. Tsmall size should work for a single outfit. By putting the shorts and socks in the "folds" of the pants, you'll prevent creases and keep the packing folder very rectangular.
    I second @BWeaves, I use the small EC Specter folder for exactly the items you describe and carry it in my Cocoa DLBC for overnight travel. The shirt and trousers stay fresh. I wear men's 32x32 pants and 15 shirt.
    WF (BH/IH), A30 (BH/IH), S19 (BH/NWSH), Pilot (BH/NWSH), DLBC (Cocoa/Steel), 2x DLBP (BD/SD, Coyote/Steel), 2x PCSB (SD, BH), LTT (SD), STT (IH), LSB (NH), 2x SSB (IH, BB), SE (NH/NWSH), PP (NWSH), PTP, plus many assorted Packing Cubes, Cubelets, OP, DOP, COW, key straps, clips and other misc goodies.

“Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm putting it in an Osprey. I haven't tried the packing folders. Will that pack the entire outfit (minus shoes)?
    There's a bunch of different sizes of Osprey bags. The Eagle Creek Specter small packing folder is 14" x 10" and then as deep as whatever you pack. It will hold up to 7 shirts, so it should be able to hold a pair of pants one shirt, socks and shorts and a belt fairly easily. It comes with a folding board, so that keeps everything nicely pressed.

When it comes to packing, I fold my clothes, not roll, and the packing folders have velcro wings to tightly wrap your package of folded clothing. Compared to a cube where if you don't fill the cube completely, your clothing will shift around and wrinkle. The Specter fabric is thin and slippery, so it slides into whatever bag you want. Be warned that there is velcro on the outside, so if you have anything else fuzzy in your bag, it could snag. I always face the velcro side to the bottom or side or my bag away from my other stuff.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nimikor View Post
    I second @BWeaves, I use the small EC Specter folder for exactly the items you describe and carry it in my Cocoa DLBC for overnight travel. The shirt and trousers stay fresh. I wear men's 32x32 pants and 15 shirt.
    Thanks! Out of curiosity, do you use one folder for each outfit, when you travel?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Out of curiosity, do you use one folder for each outfit, when you travel?
    NOOOOO. When I travel, I use the EC Specter Medium packing folder, and I cram as much as I possibly can in it. I have a second one for stuff that won't fit in the first one. Socks or stockings go in the folds of the pants to keep the edges of the final package square, and also to prevent creases in the pants. As I wear stuff, I refold and put on the bottom of the folder. Worn clothing that isn't really dirty, just worn, is fine laying next to clothing I haven't worn yet.

Anything like undies or really grungy socks go in an EC Clean/Dirty cube. I love those.

I should point out that I pack for both my husband and myself, and I mix and match whatever fits in the packing cubes and folders. There is no his bag and her bag. Everything is cross pollinated wherever it fits best.

Sometimes I travel and only use the Pilot. The small packing folder fits perfectly in the back of the Pilot with room to spare. The medium packing folder fits in a WF, TS, and an A45 if you unzip one of the interior walls.
    Last edited by BWeaves; 10-02-2017 at 05:32 PM.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can carry two full outfits in one small EC folder. But I'll use a medium EC folder if I need to pack a suit jacket.
    WF (BH/IH), A30 (BH/IH), S19 (BH/NWSH), Pilot (BH/NWSH), DLBC (Cocoa/Steel), 2x DLBP (BD/SD, Coyote/Steel), 2x PCSB (SD, BH), LTT (SD), STT (IH), LSB (NH), 2x SSB (IH, BB), SE (NH/NWSH), PP (NWSH), PTP, plus many assorted Packing Cubes, Cubelets, OP, DOP, COW, key straps, clips and other misc goodies.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m with everybody who’s voted packing folder. I can fit three golf shirts, three ss button shirts and two tees in a medium (hubs is an XL tall). I would think that a small would be perfect for your one change of clothing.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a bunch of different sizes of Osprey bags. The Eagle Creek Specter small packing folder is 14" x 10" and then as deep as whatever you pack. It will hold up to 7 shirts, so it should be able to hold a pair of pants one shirt, socks and shorts and a belt fairly easily. It comes with a folding board, so that keeps everything nicely pressed.

When it comes to packing, I fold my clothes, not roll, and the packing folders have velcro wings to tightly wrap your package of folded clothing. Compared to a cube where if you don't fill the cube completely, your clothing will shift around and wrinkle. The Specter fabric is thin and slippery, so it slides into whatever bag you want. Be warned that there is velcro on the outside, so if you have anything else fuzzy in your bag, it could snag. I always face the velcro side to the bottom or side or my bag away from my other stuff.
    Do you know if the S19 can fit an EC Small Packing Folder? Or just the S25?

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know if the S19 can fit an EC Small Packing Folder? Or just the S25?
    Here is an Eagle Creek small packing folder in my black Halcyon S19. It is an easy fit.