Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A30 Halcyon vs Ballistic--same size?

I have an older A30 in Ballistic that is with my daughter as she studies abroad so I thought I'd get myself one to use while she's gone. I ordered both Halcyon and Ballistic. The Halcyon seems to open wider and it *almost* seems just a little bit bigger. Am I imagining it?? (The one on the right is the Halcyon one in case it's difficult to see.)

A30 Halcyon vs Ballistic--same size?-img_0121-jpg

Forum Member
    Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    I have an older A30 in Ballistic that is with my daughter as she studies abroad so I thought I'd get myself one to use while she's gone. I ordered both Halcyon and Ballistic. The Halcyon seems to open wider and it *almost* seems just a little bit bigger. Am I imagining it?? (The one on the right is the Halcyon one in case it's difficult to see.)
    This is why I'm not a fan of ballistic nylon for carry-on travel: you don't need the durability, you need the flexibility.

So my BH Pilot carries my corporate 15" HP craptop, plus my 13" MBP, plus 3 tablets, two phones, and all of the power crap. And a water bottle. That 15" craptop in a cache juuussst squishes in, but it makes it.

My BH WF on a tough week carries 2 suits and all the trimmings, sometimes with two eagle creek travel folders in just the back pocket with the suits, ties, and shirts. My dress shoes go in the front along with dopp kit and a BT speaker. All that stuff juuussst squishes in, but it makes it.

Point is, the halcyon is less rigid and it actually makes the bags larger for the same fabric size.

I don't own any Bihn bags in ballistic nylon and if they didn't have black halcyon I wouldn't own any Bihn bags. Well maybe I'll get the med YD in ballistic. BUT THAT'S IT. I SWEAR.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 10-02-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the floppiness of the Halcyon makes it open wider, and the thinner fabric will make it just a bit bigger on the inside. Also, you really cannot compare them empty because the ballistic is still in squish mode from being in the box.

You really have to pack both with the same items and compare. I'd love to see your comparison photos. And I'd love to see the packed bags in backpack mode as a comparison, too, since they'll carry differently due to stiff ballistic vs. floppy halcyon.

I love my shop bags in Halcyon. But I have returned every halcyon travel bag or purse from TB and bought them in ballistic. I just like the stiffness of ballistic. I like bags that hold their shape and don't show the outline of everything I have in them. Even my shop bags have white worn spots where something slightly pointy on the inside make the fabric rub on something else on the outside. I'm sure the fabric will hold up, but I want to sling my bags around, even with hand carry. I don't want to have to baby them or the contents, and I feel the ballistic protects the innards better. I'm sure people who love Halcyon with disagree with me.

Now, if they ever make an A45 in the 525 ballistic, I'll give it a go.

Forum Member
    Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I love my shop bags in Halcyon. But I have returned every halcyon travel bag or purse from TB and bought them in ballistic. I just like the stiffness of ballistic. I like bags that hold their shape and don't show the outline of everything I have in them. Even my shop bags have white worn spots where something slightly pointy on the inside make the fabric rub on something else on the outside.
    Interesting ... I've never had a problem with halcyon durability (and I'm not easy on anything!). One time my WF did get super dirty from something, can't remember how, but it wiped right off ... also I guess I don't really pack anything pointy, just clothes or electronics. I certainly don't baby any of my bags - my feeling is it's survival of the fittest: once a bag is in rotation it's doing the heavy duty and if it doesn't make it, well, darwin has spoken. My pilot fell off of a high table once right onto the water bottle. Put a dent in the steel water bottle and left a mark on the halcyon, but it wiped off and now I don't notice it.

I did learn that my bluetooth speaker will turn on if I have it facing in the wrong direction ... one time on a flight I saw the BT connected, to my headphones I thought. I kept turning up the volume but could only faintly hear it. Then I realized I was sound blasting the inside of the overhead bins! Only one other guy was vaguely looking around.
    Last edited by GrussGott; 10-02-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for your input! I'm sure I could squeeze more in the Halcyon bag. Whether that's an advantage is a question since weight is an issue for me. I think I'll have to play around with both before I decide which one to keep. If my daughter doesn't want to keep my A30, I'll probably keep the Halcyon and I will have one in both fabrics.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll definitely do comparison photos (a little later in the week though). You're right about the Ballistic still being a little co pressed from being shipped.

I've been very happy with my A30 in Ballistic and I do think it looks a little more professional (that's really not an issue for me though).

I have an A45 in Halcyon and I like that also because you can usually squeeze just one more thing in there without too much trouble. I've even checked my Halcyon A45 and fortunately it came through looking just fine. Both my Ballistic A30 and my Halcyon A45 look great, but I have to admit that I do baby my bags.

What is 525 Ballistic? Is that a new fabric?

Orange County, CA, USA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, weight is king since I carry everything and never check bags. All the Tom Bihn bags I have are Halcyon because of the weight, functionality and quality (except my Cocoa DLBC). I really don't understand the Halcyon durability concerns. My bags get tossed around a lot and still look new. The reason my DLBC is not Halcyon is purely for aesthetics since it reminds me of my old leather briefcases.
    Last edited by nimikor; 10-02-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    DLBC, WF, S19, Pilot, DLBP, PCSB, A30, SA plus other misc goodies.
    “Not all those who wander are lost.” - Bilbo Baggins (J.R.R. Tolkien 1892-1973)

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post

What is 525 Ballistic? Is that a new fabric?

it's a newer material for exterior fabric:

https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...tml#post147785

I have it so far in the S19 and Luminary

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I say I have something pointy in my Halcyon shop bags, I mean the something like the corners of a cardboard box of pasta. The corners stick out through the fabric depending on whatever else is crammed in the shop bag. If I carry the bag up stairs, and the bag gently brushes the cement steps I get what looks like a worn spot and it doesn't wipe off. I just feel like with such a mild bump I should see no mark on the fabric. Oddly enough, it's the 400 Halcyon that gets these white spots and not the 200 Halcyon.

Forum Member
    Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    When I say I have something pointy in my Halcyon shop bags, I mean the something like the corners of a cardboard box of pasta. The corners stick out through the fabric depending on whatever else is crammed in the shop bag. If I carry the bag up stairs, and the bag gently brushes the cement steps I get what looks like a worn spot and it doesn't wipe off. I just feel like with such a mild bump I should see no mark on the fabric. Oddly enough, it's the 400 Halcyon that gets these white spots and not the 200 Halcyon.
    I could definitely see that happening, and that's really interesting about the 400 vs the 200.

I've not gotten the TB shop bags as I use the normal WF bags kinda for this reason - I live in an apartment building and carry 8 fully loaded bags every week and they bang off of everything! If we do city living type shopping then I have my Mission Workshop Rambler backpack that goes from ~20L to 45+L and has a hideaway waist strap and load lifters.

For travel I do always use the hotel stairs and frequently brush my bags against stuff, as well as the normal wear/tear of tossing them in the overhead, under a seat, etc but there the flexible fabric probably helps because there's no pointy corners and the fabric can flex around any abrasions. Anyway, in over a year of heavy air and car travel my black halcyon looks as good as new.

One thing I will add is that I use my Nordic S25 as a gym bag for hiking which means it gets shoved in my trunk with a lot of other dirty heavy equipment and there are pointy things that go into it along with water bottles, clothes, etc. I just took a look and it looked pretty scuffed up, but I wiped it all off and it looks fine, but I can see eventually having a scuff mark that won't come off.

I also took a really close look at my pilot that was about 10lbs when it fell 5' onto a hard tile floor and hit right on the corner of a stainless water bottle and dented it. I can see where it hit if I look closely, but that does blend in with pattern ... but it's a dull spot that's still there and isn't going to rub off.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds interesting. Do you like it?