Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Swift vs. Parental Unit as EDC

Hi,

I was hoping some of you could provide some insight into the functionality of the Parental Unit versus the Swift versus the Side Kick as an EDC. I currently use a combination of the Synapse 19 (for school stuff), and I carry a small shop bag, with a Side Effect inside (both as a purse-like situation).

I am tempted by the Parental Unit because of the organization, and zip top... The Swift seems like a good, slightly more purse-like alternative to the Small Shop Bag. I've seen a lot of reviews of the PU as its intended purpose (a diaper bag), but it seems like a nice option in general. And I've seen reviews of the Swift for its intended purpose (knitting bag)... But I know that most bags can function as many things.

I normally carry:
    -an iPhone SE
    -a Traveler's notebook
    -a small wallet
    -two sets of keys
    - small halcyon organizer pouch with first aid type things
    -a folded up Baggu reusable shopping bag

and sometimes, I cram my lightweight jacket into the shop bag, and whatever other small things I might need to take with me that day.

Which would you recommend based on your experience? Any other recommendations?

If someone has already posted something like this, please re-direct me to that feed!

Thank you!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say upfront that I am a bag within a bag person, unashamedly.

Since you mentioned it, I would recommend getting the Side Kick, which sits so nicely inside other bags, and then you can easily change between a cross-body like the PU, or a tote like the Swift, depending on what you are doing on any given day.

Here is a link to a post I did with photos of what I carry inside my Side Kick, which is within the main Side Kick thread:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml#post149992

I typically carry it within a shop bag, or have it in the bottom pocket of my S25, or just have it on its own cross-body or with the waist strap. It is the most versatile bag I have ever owned. It carries my essentials as well as seasonal items like sunglasses or sunscreens, and the halcyon version in particular holds a LOT. It is a wonderful bag.

Forum Member
    Portland, OR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Swift. It's my EDC and carries my work laptop, light jacket, water bottle, Side Kick, and a ton of other daily miscellany. It could easily handle the items you've outlined above. That said, it's a BIG bag, can't be carried crossbody, and has little internal organization. If those are important features for you, consider another bag. It's ready to lose things in that cavernous space, and I carry a dozen accessories just to help me make sense of the space. (Seriously, I just tried clearing some of the debris that accumulated at the bottom of my Swift, got tired, and scooped everything into a Snake Charmer just so that stuff wouldn't roll around in there anymore.)
    Last edited by kieri; 10-09-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Forum Member
    New England
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Swift does make a great non-knitting bag, I carry one to work. But it is cavernous (950 cu in vs. the PU's 825 vs. the SK's 180). My Swift fits lunch, files, umbrella, cardigan, SK-sized handbag, and a 1.5 L water bottle. With room to spare.

However. The Swift's interior will get wet when it rains. Also those handy-looking interior pockets aren't so useful for items the weight of a notebook or phone. They pull down the sides of the bag. And many materials stick to the plastic, which is annoying. Consider using a Freudian Slip with it.

The Side Kick sounds like a better fit for your "normally carry" list, except that it wouldn't fit your jacket (unless you have a ultralight one that packs up tiny).

Check out the Cafe Bag family, if you don't mind a flap closure. The volume of the small and medium falls halfway between the SK and PU. There'd be enough space for all your normal carry items plus a jacket without adding an unwieldy amount of extra room.

Earth!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will third (fourth?) the suggestion for the Side Kick or Cafe Bag. The PU, for me, makes a great knitting bag or workout bag, but it might be a bit big for the stuff that you mentioned you carry every day. The Swift is lovely, like others have mentioned, but it is a bit big, as well. I was quite surprised by the size when I got mine, actually, which is fine when you have a lot of every day stuff — but if you’re not going to fill it, you might want to go smaller.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, all. I got the Side Kick and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk