Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Kick in Aeronaut 45, Synapse 25 and as easy access bag on the plane

Hi there!
    I'm considering getting a Side Kick as an everyday carry bag and as a companion bag to my Aeronaut 45.

Whilst I love my Aeronaut 45, it's a bit big to fit under the seat in front for a long haul flight. I'm looking for a smaller bag that I can keep in the Aeronaut side pocket until I get on the plane. Once on the plane, I want it to hold all my in flight necessities (hung from the seat pocket by 2 carabiners). At my destination I want to use it as a day bag.

In flight the bag would hold - iphone 6, small wallet, glasses case, retainer case, headphones in 5 x 3 inch case, spare battery, charging cable and possibly a travel toothbrush and travel toothpaste.

My questions are:
    1. Does the Side Kick seem like the right bag for these purpose? I looked at the specs of the Side Effect, but it seemed a bit small. My other choice was the small cafe bag.
    2. Is there much room left in the Aeronaut side pocket after putting the Side Kick in there? I measured the Side Kick dimensions inside the actual pocket to get a rough idea, but was interested in getting a real life view from others who own both bags.
    3. Does the Side Kick fit inside the large outside bottom pocket on the Synapse 25 (I don't own this bag yet, but I'm planning ahead for when I will Big Grin)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Shiuraz

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your items will fit in the SK. The SK will fit in an A45 end pocket with lots of room to spare.

I love my SK as my daily purse. The SE is just a bit too small. But I hang onto my SE because it fits in one of the front pockets of my Pilot, so it comes in useful occasionally.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Side Kick and I actually choose larger bags because of how well the SK fits in them (fits great in the bottom pocket of an S25). On page 16 of the Side Kick thread there is a post of mine with pics of what I fit inside mine. It may help visualise what might fit inside yours. This link should go right to page 16:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...e-true-16.html

Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cristina, and others,

I just wanted to point out that the easy access to the Side Kick in the Synapse 25 bottom front pocket that @Cristina loves comes about because she has both Side Kick and S25 in Halcyon. See her picture in the Synapse 25 + Side Kick thread:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...side-kick.html

If she had gotten both the S25 and Side Kick in 525d Ballistic Nylon, that easy access wouldn't have worked as well. Just commenting because I know @Cristina was wondering about whether she should order the 525d Ballistic version of the S25, and this is one of the areas where the material choice makes a difference in the usage she likes.

HTH

moriond

ETA: A Side Effect will fit in this pocket in either case. For stuffing an under filled or not overly stuffed Side Kick in this pocket, you need to use Halcyon.
    Last edited by moriond; 10-17-2017 at 02:12 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Cristina, and others,

I just wanted to point out that the easy access to the Side Kick in the Synapse 25 bottom front pocket that @Cristina loves comes about because she has both Side Kick and S25 in Halcyon. See her picture in the Synapse 25 + Side Kick thread:
    https://forums.tombihn.com/general-b...side-kick.html

If she had gotten both the S25 and Side Kick in 525d Ballistic Nylon, that easy access wouldn't have worked as well. Just commenting because I know @Cristina was wondering about whether she should order the 525d Ballistic version of the S25, and this is one of the areas where the material choice makes a difference in the usage she likes.

HTH

moriond

ETA: A Side Effect will fit in this pocket in either case. For stuffing an under filled or not overly stuffed Side Kick in this pocket, you need to use Halcyon.
    Thanks, @moriond for pointing that out. I definitely take the squishyness of Halcyon for granted since I don't have any ballistic bags yet. Do you think that the same applies with putting the SK in the end pocket of an A45, or will it fit comfortably no matter what material the bags are in?

Thanks again!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. Very helpful and you brought up one thing I didn't even consider - Halcyon vs Ballistic Nylon! Thanks @ Moriond!

How well does the Side Kick in Halcyon hold its shape vs Ballistic? My Aeronaut is Ballistic and I like how solid the fabric feels. My concern with the Halcyon is that it would be too floppy...but I do like how packable it could be in the Synapse or Aeronaut.

Volunteer Moderator Alumni Ilkyway's Avatar
    GMT +1 Germany, North
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that with the Side Kick, due to the inner organisations which are obviosly made from layers of Halcyion it is not as floppy in comparison to the Balistic version as other bags. With the Side Effect for example I feel more off e difference.

Sure the Balistic is more structured but I do like the Halcyon SKs a lot too and I am one to avoide floppyness too.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new, lighter weight, 525D, Ballistic fabric is a good compromise for the SK I feel. It’s not as ‘stiff’ as the 1050D Ballistic but it definitely has more structure than Halcyon.
    If I was buying an SK primarily for carrying within the bottom pocket of a Synapse 25, I’d go with Halcyon. For anything else I’d go with 525 Ballistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to say I had s25 in ballistic and a sidekick in ballistic and never had any problems putting it in or taking it out of my synapse. IMHO you could go either way with materials.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again! I think I'll go with the ballastic. The Mars Red/Viridian caught my eye from the start.

Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @shiuraz, I think you'll really like your Mars Red/Viridian Side Kick. As @ceepee said, the 525d Ballistic Nylon is a really nice compromise between structure and flexibility; plus it comes in a great range of colors.

Quote Originally Posted by melminimalist View Post
    Just wanted to say I had s25 in ballistic and a sidekick in ballistic and never had any problems putting it in or taking it out of my synapse. IMHO you could go either way with materials.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Hi @melminimalist,

Just to clarify things, I wasn't stating that the Side Kick (in either Ballistic Nylon or Halcyon) did not fit into the bottom front pocket of a Synapse 25 (whether Halcyon, Cordura, or 525d Ballistic Nylon) in my earlier post to @Cristina. I gave the link to the Synapse 25 + Side Kick discussion thread, and excerpted just one of the pictures in her post (#6),but left out her caption/comment that went with that picture about her favorite feature of using the Side Kick this way in the Synapse 25:

Edited to add: my favourite part is that it fits with the shoulder and waist straps attached, and I can access the contents of the SK without removing it:
    So, with all the material variations of Synapse 25 and Side Kick you can insert a zipped up Side Kick in the bottom pocket of the S25 and easily extract it. But @Cristina found that an unexpected bonus that she really liked, was the ability to easily drop the Halcyon Side Kick with strap into the S25 bottom pocket (either already open, or open the zipper), and easily access the contents of the Side Kick while it was still in the bottom pocket of the Synapse 25. That works to some extent, even with a Synapse 25 of 525d Ballistic Nylon, if the Side Kick is Halcyon. It really doesn't work well if you're using a Side Kick in Ballistic Nylon (even in a Halcyon S25). At the time I posted my reply, I only had access to my Aubergine/Island Side Kick and my Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick. (The 525d Side Kick didn't arrive until later that day). That combination of the 1050d Ballistic Nylon Side Kick in a 525d Ballistic Nylon S25 is the stiffest one to work with if you want to access the Side Kick contents while it is open (or after you open it) while it is still in the Synapse 25 lower front pocket.

Hope this helps to clarify things. I usually post from my iPhone or iPad, because my laptop is being used for processing. So when I do multiple steps of searching, linking, and inserting selected images, there's a lot of copy, cut, paste actions, and it has to be done in the web browser, which sometimes just dumps me out. The usual sign this has happened is that the threads and posts show up as separate lines (e.g., not links to phrases), and I don't always manage to repeat copy the full mix of text and images.

Final detail for @shiuraz: I checked this with a Mars Red/Viridian 525d Ballistic Side Kick in a Mars Red/Cloud 525d Ballistic Synapse 25 (in addition to my usual Halcyon S25, and with Black Halcyon/Island Side Kick, as well as with the Aubergine/Island Side Kick) before posting this reply.

And @melminimalist, I totally understand getting an Aubergine Side Kick -- because … "Aubergine"!

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @moriond for your detailed clarification. I'm so glad I found this forum group. I find it great how much you love your bags and are so willing take the time to share your experiences, photo and tips to help people like me choose the best bag for their needs.