Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Effect inside a Luminary?

Hey, all. I've never ordered anything from Tom Bihn before, but I've been wanting to for years. I just got the itch to order something again, and I'm thinking about the Luminary. What I'm wondering, though, is how a combination Luminary/Side Effect situation would work out. If I also ordered a Side Effect, does it fit nicely inside the Luminary (I've seen some pictures of it clipped to the O rings in the main compartment), and still leave plenty of room for other objects at the bottom?

I work at a library and I like to write, so I pretty much always have some combination of books/notebooks/tablet/Kindle that I'm carrying around with me. What I was thinking of doing was keeping my purse essentials in the SE, and the other auxiliary stuff and rotating selection of reading/writing materials in the Luminary. If I had too much stuff to fit the SE inside the Luminary, I'm fine carrying the SE separately, too. I thought the Luminary would also work well for day trips, where I have slightly more stuff than normal (take away the books and things but add water bottle, snacks, light jacket, etc.) but don't want the weight of a heavy messenger bag on my shoulder all day. And if I'm just running errands or out to see a movie or something, I can leave the Luminary in the car and just take the SE with me.

For comparison, most recently I've been using a Kavu sling bag and before that I had a Patagonia mini messenger bag. I love both, but the Patagonia can get heavy when filled, and the Kavu's shape isn't the greatest for notebooks and books. Most of the time I'm just using the Kavu as my purse and carrying around a tote bag, as well, on my way to and from work.

So, does anyone have any experience with a Luminary/SE combo? How does it work for you? And how small is the Side Effect, really? Once I put a phone, small money clip wallet, and a Kindle inside it, is there much room for anything else?

Thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dw124 View Post
    Hey, all. I've never ordered anything from Tom Bihn before, but I've been wanting to for years. I just got the itch to order something again, and I'm thinking about the Luminary. What I'm wondering, though, is how a combination Luminary/Side Effect situation would work out. If I also ordered a Side Effect, does it fit nicely inside the Luminary (I've seen some pictures of it clipped to the O rings in the main compartment), and still leave plenty of room for other objects at the bottom?

I work at a library and I like to write, so I pretty much always have some combination of books/notebooks/tablet/Kindle that I'm carrying around with me. What I was thinking of doing was keeping my purse essentials in the SE, and the other auxiliary stuff and rotating selection of reading/writing materials in the Luminary. If I had too much stuff to fit the SE inside the Luminary, I'm fine carrying the SE separately, too. I thought the Luminary would also work well for day trips, where I have slightly more stuff than normal (take away the books and things but add water bottle, snacks, light jacket, etc.) but don't want the weight of a heavy messenger bag on my shoulder all day. And if I'm just running errands or out to see a movie or something, I can leave the Luminary in the car and just take the SE with me.

For comparison, most recently I've been using a Kavu sling bag and before that I had a Patagonia mini messenger bag. I love both, but the Patagonia can get heavy when filled, and the Kavu's shape isn't the greatest for notebooks and books. Most of the time I'm just using the Kavu as my purse and carrying around a tote bag, as well, on my way to and from work.

So, does anyone have any experience with a Luminary/SE combo? How does it work for you? And how small is the Side Effect, really? Once I put a phone, small money clip wallet, and a Kindle inside it, is there much room for anything else?

Thanks!
    The SE fits in the Luminary but I don't have a Luminary so I can't speak to the different configurations (with the water bottle pocket zipped or unzipped, horizontal vs vertical vs clipped in at the top, etc).

What model Kindle do you have? Some will fit in the SE, but some won't, though those that are too big for the SE will fit in the tablet pocket of the Luminary no problem.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two -- I have a Kindle Voyage and a Kindle Fire 7 inch. Would only be carrying one at a time in the SE, but would either of those fit?

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi dw124! I hope I can answer your question because this is the combination I use AND I used to work in a library.

The side effect will carry everything you’re considering. I use it as my EDC with phone, car keys, wallet, etc. There’s plenty of room left for a kindle. I usually do as you suggest - grab the SE and leave the Luminary in the car for quick errands.

The SE will fit on either side of the bottle sleeve in the Luminary but will also sit on top if you have other supplies at the bottom of the Luminary. You don’t need to clip it unless you want to.

I generally keep ipad, kindle, planners, etc. in the back pocket, which leaves the interior free for the rest of my stuff.

I took some pics of my Luminary carry and posted them in the thread 24 hours with a Luminary. https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...tml?highlight=

Good luck with your choice!
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add photo proof, here's my halcyon SE with my phone, a slim REI wallet, my Kindle Paperwhite in a case, and a mass market paperback for bulk.

Side Effect inside a Luminary?-se-01-jpg

The Kindle Voyage looks to be slightly smaller than the Paperwhite, so it should fit easily. Even with the paperback in there, there is some wiggle room for slim items (pen, tissues, etc.) I'm always surprised by how much the SE fits.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase | GYM: Medium Road Duffel | TRAVEL: Smart Alec | EVERYTHING ELSE: Large Shop Bags

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Traveltech, for the advice!

I'm assuming that with the divider zipped up, notebooks and such wouldn't fit, but do you find that you can fit a notebook or book and a water bottle side by side if it's unzipped?

I'm trying to see if this will work for as many different configurations as I would be using it for (work bag, weekend stuff bag, writing bag, etc...) It certainly looks like you've gotten a lot of flexibility out of yours!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldYam View Post
    I'm always surprised by how much the SE fits.
    Me too! Even though I don't own one yet -- from all the pictures I've been looking at, sometimes it looks like it will hardly fit anything, and other times I'm amazed at the amount of stuff people can fit inside them! Thanks for the photos!

Forum Member
    Boston, MA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your notebook and kindle will fit perfectly in back zip compartment. That leaves the main compartment available for the rest of your gear, zipped or unzipped. (At 12 L the Luminary is not a big bag. I noted in an earlier post that the length of a hardcover book (9.5") added to the side effect ( 5") = 14.5" -almost the height of the Luminary.)

That being said - I've tried a few combinations for you for book, water bottle and SE.

Water section zipped with journal on one side and SE on the other. Looks more squished than it is. I could definitely fit more into the section with the journal...
    Side Effect inside a Luminary?-lumzipped-jpg

And here I've unzipped the middle and fit books and water bottle side by side - adding SE on top
    Side Effect inside a Luminary?-lumunzip-jpg

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Traveltech; 10-30-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Luminary 12 with a MCB Freudian Slip, Daylight Backpack, EDC Side Effect or Side Effect, zippered Large and Small Shopbags, Co-Pilot, Travel Tray, Snake Charmer

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post

Water section zipped with journal on one side and SE on the other. Looks more squished than it is. I could definitely fit more into the section with the journal...
    Side Effect inside a Luminary?-lumzipped-jpg
    Yay! Red moleskine journal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    fredletsTravels.com

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveltech View Post
    Hope this helps!
    Yes, it does! Those last photos are great.

It looks like there's still a decent amount of room at the top if you don't put the SE in, and that works for me. I'd be perfectly happy carrying the SE separately and then being able to toss it into the Luminary if the backpack was less stuffed. I know there are bigger TB backpacks, but I really like the slim profile of the Luminary and wanted a backpack that I'd be able to take anywhere without feeling like I was lugging this huge thing around. I've taken other backpacks out before -- to conventions and such -- and it always feels like I'm just lugging around so. much. stuff. This looks like it would allow me the convenience and comfort of a backpack while not letting me go too far overboard in terms of things I'm bringing with me, besides the fact that it would work as a good everyday bag.

Thanks so much for the test photos! That's the exact color of the Luminary I was thinking about buying, too, so it's nice to see it in photos.