Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What lunch container(s) can fit inside a fabric 3D Organizer Cube?

New job = new bag + new lunch containers (you need to make leftovers feel special somehow).

What would y’all recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 3D cube is very small. The biggest container I was able to put into it was a 620 ml rectangular container, and that was a very tight fit. This container is about 6" long, 4 1/2" wide and 2" deep. If you are a very small eater, or only eating snacks this could work, but there is no room for anything else. I would not recommend using this cube for lunch.

And congrats on the new job!
    Last edited by sturbridge; 11-02-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    Proud owner of: Pop Tote in cloud, Aeronaut 30 in steel/iberian, Travel Cubelet in Dawn, SE in steel parapack, SSB in black halcyon, Pilot in steel dyneema/steel, , Truck and Travel Cubelet in Nebulous Gray, Small Zipped shop bag in black, numerous pouches, 3D cubes, Q kits and straps and Cubelets!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I don't have a 3DOC fabric, I do have a 3DOC clear and 3DOC mesh and I can share a solution that works for me.

The 3DOC's I have both fit 2 Klean Kanteen 8oz NON-insulated food canisters side by side with a bit of space above them for utensils such as Go Bites Duo, condiments, or other slim sized snacks. The 2 canisters fit flat side by side right side up and makes it seem the 3DOC were built for them. I am in the 'buy it for life' camp on purchases and the stainless steel with apparent build quality of the food canisters fit that ethos. I am not able to post a picture at the moment but I can later if you would like.

I agree with Sturbridge, 3DOC will not hold a large amount of food. With the two 8oz food canisters, 16oz (473 ml) of liquid or dry bulk food plus a little room between containers and on top for other items.

I only have the NON-insulated versions in 8 oz, but based on online measurements I am fairly certain the insulated versions would not fit a 3DOC as the insulating walls add size to the container (I do have a 16oz Klean Kanteen insulated food canister and it works very well for me)
    Last edited by organicfarmer; 11-10-2017 at 07:33 AM. Reason: words/wording

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    While I don't have a 3DOC fabric, I do have a 3DOC clear and 3DOC mesh and I can share a solution that works for me.

The 3DOC's I have both fit 2 Klean Kanteen 8oz NON-insulated food canisters side by side with a bit of space above them for utensils such as Go Bites Duo, condiments, or other slim sized snacks. The 2 canisters fit flat side by side right side up and makes it seem the 3DOC were built for them. I am in the 'buy it for life' camp on purchases and the stainless steel with apparent build quality of the food canisters fit that ethos. (I am not able to post a picture at the moment but I can later if you would like.)
    @organicfarmer - I would love to see a photo, if possible. Thank you so much!!

"A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." — Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some pictures of the 3DOC with 2 -Klean Kanteen 8oz NON-insulated food canisters. (for emphasis, these are NON-insulated, insulated appear to be larger)

Photo 1: 3DOC mesh with 2 Kleen Kanteen 8oz food canisters, 1 Go Bites Duo fork and spoon combo. All fit well, some room to spare yet not a surplus that canisters would roll around if 3DOC changed to vertical or such.

Photo 2: 3DOC mesh with 2 Klean Kanteen 8oz food canisters, 1 Go Bites Duo, and 2 Clif Bars. My apologies for not having the official measuring tool Larabars. I hope someone has the Clif Bar to Larabar conversion factor. They are fit snugly into the 3DOC. Some room for packets of condiments along outside of middle where cylinders meet.

Photo 3: Same as photo 2, but closed. Snug, but usable

As a side note, I have had 2 Half Pint Mason Jars side by side with 2 Clif Bars vertically upright along side in the 3DOC and it can still close relatively easily. I ruled that out for my personal use with risk of glass breakage concern. Mason jars would be much less expensive that the KK containers and have pros and cons.

Hope this helps.

What lunch container(s) can fit inside a fabric 3D Organizer Cube?-3doc-2kleankanteen-1-gobites-duo-20-jpgWhat lunch container(s) can fit inside a fabric 3D Organizer Cube?-3doc-2kleankanteen8oz-2-clif-bar-1-gobites-duo-20-jpgWhat lunch container(s) can fit inside a fabric 3D Organizer Cube?-3doc-2kleankanteen8oz-2-clif-bar-1-gobites-duo-closed-20-jpg

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by organicfarmer View Post
    Here are some pictures of the 3DOC with 2 -Klean Kanteen 8oz NON-insulated food canisters. (for emphasis, these are NON-insulated, insulated appear to be larger)

Photo 1: 3DOC mesh with 2 Kleen Kanteen 8oz food canisters, 1 Go Bites Duo fork and spoon combo. All fit well, some room to spare yet not a surplus that canisters would roll around if 3DOC changed to vertical or such.

Photo 2: 3DOC mesh with 2 Klean Kanteen 8oz food canisters, 1 Go Bites Duo, and 2 Clif Bars. My apologies for not having the official measuring tool Larabars. I hope someone has the Clif Bar to Larabar conversion factor. They are fit snugly into the 3DOC. Some room for packets of condiments along outside of middle where cylinders meet.

Photo 3: Same as photo 2, but closed. Snug, but usable

As a side note, I have had 2 Half Pint Mason Jars side by side with 2 Clif Bars vertically upright along side in the 3DOC and it can still close relatively easily. I ruled that out for my personal use with risk of glass breakage concern. Mason jars would be much less expensive that the KK containers and have pros and cons.

Hope this helps.

What lunch container(s) can fit inside a fabric 3D Organizer Cube?-3doc-2kleankanteen-1-gobites-duo-20-jpgWhat lunch container(s) can fit inside a fabric 3D Organizer Cube?-3doc-2kleankanteen8oz-2-clif-bar-1-gobites-duo-20-jpgWhat lunch container(s) can fit inside a fabric 3D Organizer Cube?-3doc-2kleankanteen8oz-2-clif-bar-1-gobites-duo-closed-20-jpg
    Thank you thank you thank you @organicfarmer !!!

I was having a little trouble visualizing the whole set up as I had mentally packed the 3DOC with the canisters going in sideways instead of vertically (no idea why), and I couldn’t figure out just how it would close. But your photos are great — and your setup makes so much more sense! I too worry about the glass breaking factor of using mason jars, but I might try it once to see how it goes, or else get either the KK canisters or a similarly sized glass pyrex equivalent.

Also, best lines of your post:

“My apologies for not having the official measuring tool Larabars. I hope someone has the Clif Bar to Larabar conversion factor.”

🤣🤣

Thanks again!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am glad to be helpful. I am interested on what you end up using and how it works for you.

Not long ago I also was thinking through an ideal lunchbox situation. I like many things on the market from their advertisements though see pros and cons. Lots of variety offered with tradeoffs. Admittedly, one may rise to the top if I ate the same thing everytime and had a plan for foods carried to know what I wanted thus nothing seems great to me to fit all niches:

Planetbox - nice designs, stainless steel, varied capacities, tight close and durable, but can't use any item that is or that leaks a liquid, appears horizontal carry is best, no insulation

Lunchbots - similarities to Planetbox, personally liked a specific size offering, but again no liquid or liquidy items, no insulation

Mason Jar- low cost, no plastic, can buy snack dividers, can handle liquids, durable, easy to wash, but round, can break with painful shards of glass, no insulation, loud rattle in contact with metal or glass surface

Discount/Plastic Versions - cheap, many sizes available, unique features offerings, some combo with stainless steel or glass, but plastic health issue possible, non-durable, scratch prone

Klean Kanteen 16 oz. insulated- This I have had for almost a year and used for traveling too. Worked great for overnight oatmeal every morning, used for yogurt, carry dry items like nuts, fruits, or other snacks. It was limiting to just one container that sometimes was too large, sometimes just right, sometimes large to carry around, of course only allowed a single food choice. Ultimate winner in that situation as it doesn't leak, it is well insulated, doesn't hurt to carry hot item as it is insulated, easy to clean, stainless steel, and a strange advantage is it one thing with one choice and made life simple. (some past tense is because it got used in travel more than at home)

Note: I am sure HydroFlask containers work well. I drifted to KK for the 8 and 16oz sizes plus KK were all stainless steel, and HF had painted on colors that may chip and erode the buy it for life goals.

In my evolution of what to use, I may try the 8oz KK insulated container. The 16oz was overly large much more often than too small. 8oz yogurt, oatmeal, fruit and nuts are all adequate. Value of 16oz is popcorn and the like. 16oz is also perfect fit for 4 Clif Bars inside storage for traveling. 8oz could double as an insulated tea/coffee mug and drinking cup. (side note: I use the 3DOC and KK containers for shaving/laundry detergent/other in my recent travel, but lunchbox option had often crossed my mind and feel would work perfect)

Now if only Tom Bihn had a lunchbox.... I imagine a 8oz insulated container, some dry container, and some unknown Bihn-esque design feature(s)