Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Synapse 25 purchase.

I am finally going to puchase this bag. Hopefully I don't regret it. I know that is is a very minor thing but would just like to ask for your thoughts.

Black 400 Halcyon/Island 200 Halcyon or the Black 400 Halcyon/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon?

Thanks guys.

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First, congratulations on your decision! Buying a TB bag is a big decision, but one that will (hopefully) bring you much joy in the months and years to come.

Second, in terms of color ó go with your gut intuition.

Color is such a personal choice. Think about opening the bag every day and unzipping all of the S25ís compartments.

What color do you want to greet you, every time you unzip the bag? If the thought of seeing the NWS seems calming and soothing, go with it. If, on the other hand, you fear the NWS might get boring and youíre really excited about the hidden pop of color, go with Island.

Since youíre the one who will see and experience the interior color the most, choose the one that will make you smile when you see it, every time. And since the exterior is black, itís still fitting for most professional and office environments, and the halcyon will make it that much more interesting.

[EDIT: In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably say that I have a Black Ballistic/NWS S19 on order, and am counting the minutes until it arrives. But if the had been a Black/Viridian or Black/Grass option available when I ordered it, I would have snapped it up in a second.]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blackbird; 11-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." ó Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Winnipeg, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOVE Island. Itís a lovely bright happy pop of blue that looks so good with black.

However, this is really, really a personal-preference thing, so if NWS is calling to you, then thatís the right choice.

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with the folks above - colour is so personal. I like BOTH Island and NWS... but I lean Island more - it's such a happy blue!
    The other thing is, whilst you will see the interior colour every day, it's not as obvious (to me at least) as the exterior...
    I have an A30 in Steel/Iberian - I was a little hesitant about the red interior... but I adore the Steel exterior... and the reality is, once you load it all up, the Iberian is just hints & peeks of happy colour, not a a blank slate - because you fill the bag.
    So as they say - go with your gut feel.... or buy both and send back the less fortunate one, lol... be warned though, that seems to lead people into keeping two bags.
    Last edited by G42; 11-07-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Forum Member
    CO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing to think about...will you be purchasing any accessories for this bag? You may want a more neutral interior with fun colored organizers that you can change on a whim. Or perhaps, a bright interior with NWS accessories that will work with future purchases as well. Really, just go with the one that makes you smile!

Forum Member
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered (arrives today!) an S25 in Nordic with NWS inside for the very reason I wanted to have fun coloured accessories ;-) (same goes for my A45 which comes today - Steel with NWS inside)

Cheers!

Silicon Valley
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I have two (one in BH and one Nordic Halcyon) and they both have NWS interiors. Ideally I'd have gotten the black halcyon with island but I do use it for business and thought it best to avoid the flash ... and, as much as I like Island (have some small orgs in it), it's a lot of it to have as an interior color of a larger bag for my eye.

Forum Member
    Alaska
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,
    When I was having trouble deciding on a color, the clerk said, "Place the two items side by side and close your eyes. When you open your eyes, which one are you more drawn to?" It made my preference immediately obvious. Hope this helps. elisa

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings!
    I agree about color. It is a personal choice. I have an S25 in Olive/Ultraviolet. I would have never thought I would like that combo but I love it. I like the safari feeling of olive with the fun color of purple. Go with your gut on the color. Everyone is right. You will be the one seeing it the most so which would you like more?
    I have an aubergine Sidekick with an Island interior and I agree about the happiness of the Island color. But I also agree it may be too much in a larger bag. If I could do it again, I would get an Aubergine/NWS Sidekick. But depending on where you live, with winter coming up, the blue might be nice to see when the weather is gloomy outside! Sorry, I know that was not much help!
    As for accessories to match or pop, I have a blue interior and a purple one. I give up on accessories to match and just look for ones that will not clash too badly against both colors.
    The S25 is an amazing bag. Congrats on your choice. I love it (and I usually hate backpacks). I love the organization. It is my one-bag-to-rule-them-all choice when I travel. I used it as my main suitcase when I went to Scotland, Denver and Florida earlier this year and my carryon for Frontier Airlines for Las Vegas and Grand Canyon last month. Would have loved it to be my main bag for that trip but traveling with two other people somehow means so much more (unnecessary) stuff! I am thinking about a trip to DC this January and it will be my one bag along with a small purse. May be initiating my Travel Cubelet on that trip.
    One option you could do is order both. Tom Bihn has a great return policy and return shipping only costs $10. Seeing it in person may make the decision easier. When I got my Dawn Cubelet I loved the color as it appeared on my Mac screen but it came darker than that. The choice may be easier when you can see both and pack them up with your things to decide which would work better for you.
    Last edited by wendybeachbum; 11-10-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really a personal choice, but I've always wanted an Island interior.

Northeast US
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wendybeachbum View Post
    I have an aubergine Sidekick with an Island interior and I agree about the happiness of the Island color. But I also agree it may be too much in a larger bag. If I could do it again, I would get an Aubergine/NWS Sidekick. But depending on where you live, with winter coming up, the blue might be nice to see when the weather is gloomy outside! Sorry, I know that was not much help!
    Quick tangent on this thread: I had an Aubergine/Island Sidekick, too, and while beautiful, I felt that the blue was too eye-popping a color for such a small (relatively speaking) bag. So I traded it for a Verde/UV Sidekick, which I adore and use daily. I did, however, have a Black Side Effect with UV interior, and that color combo didnít really work for me, either (but my mom loves it so the bag is now hers). All this is to say that color combos ó and your reactions to them ó are so subjective. What you love in one combo might not quite work in another, so if you have the opportunity, Iíd recommend what others have and order both to see which speaks to you most, and return the other. (And my Black/NWS S19 just arrived two days ago, and I love it! Itís already my perfect work/weekend bag.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blackbird; 11-11-2017 at 04:23 AM.
    "A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." ó Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakergalleryph View Post
    I am finally going to puchase this bag. Hopefully I don't regret it. I know that is is a very minor thing but would just like to ask for your thoughts.

Black 400 Halcyon/Island 200 Halcyon or the Black 400 Halcyon/Northwest Sky 200 Halcyon?

Thanks guys.
    Go with the interior that calls to you. If you don't think you can make up your mind, this always works for me.
    Flip a coin. Heads Island / Tails Northwest Sky.
    Let's say Heads comes up and you really like Island, then you buy the Island bag.
    But let's say Tails comes up, and you're really disappointed, because you really wanted the Island interior. Then you ignore the coin and buy Island.

There's something about having a random generator pick for me, that forces me to admit which one I really like the best, and I just ignore whatever the coin says.

Also, having originally matched my accesories to the interior of the bag, I decided that was a bad idea, because I never could find anything. Buy contrasting keystraps and pouches to whatever interior you choose, and make sure they're all different. It helps you to zero in on exactly the pouch you need. Plus you get to try out all the colors without committing to a big bag.