Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daily EDC Travel Bag Thoughts

Back again with a similar query to a previous post I made about what people use when out travelling as a day bag/EDC bag. We are travelling to Scotland next March (was going to be Italy - but decided to go with our first choice). Because the weather can be a little more unpredictable, I want something that can handle the weather while we explore the countryside.

I had originally been thinking about a Co-Pilot or DLBC (to go along with my new A45), but am now considering the Makers Bag and Medium Cafe Bag (with maybe a DLBP stuffed into my A45 - just in case a backpack would make more sense).

Because I'm carrying my A45 with the shoulder straps I'm looking for a messenger style daily bag :-)

Thanks again everyone!

Forum Member
    UK
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the Makers but I do have a halcyon small cafe bag and can vouch for it in light rain. I have also carried a halcyon co-pilot in heavy rain with no problems whatsoever.
    Incidentally I was once caught in an intense thunderstorm whilst carrying my halcyon S19 and everything inside would've stayed dry had I opened the zips with more care.
    I haven't been snowed on whilst carrying a TB bag as yet, but it's only a matter of time.... Daily EDC Travel Bag Thoughts

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go for the DLBC or Pilot.
    I have both and the space I need decides which bag I will use that day, the extra room in the Pilot can be a huge help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay for Scotland! I just finished a 5 day tour of the Highlands in late September. It was one of the best trips I've ever taken. We had light drizzle on a few days and blue skies on a few, so it was fabulous, but I spoke to someone who took a previous tour in which (as she put it) "the rain was coming at us sideways, every day". Given that the weather is luck-of-the-draw, I'd put some thought into shoes that will keep your feet dry, because I've found that's a big factor in my personal comfort. Even on dry days, the ground there is a bit spongy. I wore Ahnu Calaveras (women's shoes; I can't tell from your forum name what gender you are), and I was very happy with them.

Which bag from the list above would you be carrying during the day? And will you have a car, be mostly walking, or do a tour? I would actually suggest the Co-Pilot, if you think you have enough stuff to fill it, or the Medium Cafe Bag. I think the Makers Bag is kind of large for daily carry. And the first two, particularly the Co-Pilot, are the most waterproof, though they can all work. And I'd definitely suggest the DLBP, tucked away, as backup.

If you are in a car or on a tourbus, of course, you can find a place to store extra layers that are shed during the day, whereas if you are doing long hikes you'll want a space in your bag for them, so that can make a difference in what bag you choose. I took sweaters, a light down jacket and a trenchcoat, so I had a lot of options for layering.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 11-10-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're traveling with an A45 I would recommend an A45 PCBP in addition to whatever cross-body bag you might get. I love the PCBP as a day bag when I have bulky, light things like hats, mittens, and rain jackets for me and my kids. It is surprisingly large and capacious, and weighs nothing. Plus, it doubles as a packing cube! I have been wanting to make a separate post about it, maybe I will this weekend.

In terms of Scotland-specific packing, well, I visited Scotland for three weeks this summer after having moved to England a few years ago. I had forgotten how cold and wet it is there even in July. Every single day there were rain showers so I had to carry rain jackets while we were out and also stow them in my bag when it warmed up because the sun was out. My S25 kept everything dry inside when we got caught in a heavy downpour, shame we couldn't travel inside it too! If you have a rain jacket that packs up into its own pocket, I would bring that. I bought one specifically after being so annoyed on my trip this summer with all of the off-on off-on.

Forum Member
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great - thanks for the info!

@bchaplin - I think I saw one of your posts about going to Scotland. :-) We are going to be doing a bunch of walking (in Edinburgh and elsewhere- but also travelling by car and train). We haven't signed up for any tours (except for a tour of a nearby gin distillery!)

Being a 6'2" guy my sweaters and and jackets are all L or XL so I could definitely use the extra space of the Co-Pilot (as compared to the MCB). I'm still debating my footwear (need something for our outdoor elopement photos and something that can handle the elements as well) - need to look into that more ;-)

@Cristina - I did look at the PCBP too. Curious how it compares to the DLBP (carrying wise). Need to think about that one some more!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daily EDC Travel Bag Thoughts

I would say the Makers Bag would fit your billl. It is my work EDC and has done great in rain. The flap covers over and covers. I wouldnt expect the contents to be dry after a multi-hour hike like Ive seen with an S25. But it has been great.

I have a DLBC and the Makers Bag. Theyre both great, and I pick based on the volume of stuff. For sweaters or rain coats, Id go with the Makers. It can easily hold a jacket and umbrella with room for snacks, books, a water bottle etc. Id just tend towards carrying the Makers because it is great half full and would leave space if I needed to carry more (like lunch) or bought something along the day.

I also love the DLBP. Ive used one as my weekend/diaper bag. Super comfortable. Also handles rain. And has the advantage of leaving hands free.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longspur View Post
    Being a 6'2" guy my sweaters and and jackets are all L or XL so I could definitely use the extra space of the Co-Pilot (as compared to the MCB). I'm still debating my footwear (need something for our outdoor elopement photos and something that can handle the elements as well) - need to look into that more ;-)
    Depending on how much you are carrying, you might like the Makers Bag then. And if it is really rainy, any super-valuable things such as your phone and passport can go into that internal back pocket where they are doubly protected.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay Scotland!
    Hopefully to be my forever home by June 2018!
    This past Feb I went there and stayed with a friend in Dundee and did Glasgow by myself. All my clothes and toiletries were packed in my S25 and everything else in my Sidekick. To be fair, in Dundee my friend's husband had a car so we could leave things in it as necessary but walking around Glasgow the Sidekick was perfect. It held everything I needed for the day and I could put my hat and mittens in it when I went into stores or restaurants. I even stuffed my rain coat in it (and I am not a small person). I was only there for 4 days but I am thinking of another trip in Feb 2018 and would use the same set up (unless I decide to take my TC).
    As I age, I tend to want to carry less with me. I tried the Co-Pilot but feel I would put too much in it and it would get heavy.
    A note on the rain. I had my SA in a heavy rain in Cornwall and everything stayed dry. I did have rain with my Sidekick earlier this year and it also stayed dry. While not waterproof, Tom Bihn bags are pretty darn close. I would trust my iPhone and iPad mini in a Tom Bihn bag and I know they would be protected in the rain (and I have tested that!)
    Last note about a water bottle. I went to the Grand Canyon and took my HydroFlask bottle with me along with my Sidekick. I used an S-Biner to hold the bottle but did not like that set up so going to look for another option.
    I hope you have a wonderful trip! Scotland is amazing with so many beautiful places. I cannot wait to move there and explore it al!

Volunteer Moderator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @longspur Don't forget the next debut is only a couple of weeks away on the 27th. New stuff will be coming out but we don't know what. You may want to wait until then to order!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Indiana
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently took a rainy trip to Seattle and walked all over the place for 3 days with my Co-Pilot. Great in-flight bag, conference bag & sightseeing bag!

Current Carry: Swift (Verde/UV), SK (Steel/Iberian) & SSC (Sitka)

Forum Member
    Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristina View Post
    @longspur Don't forget the next debut is only a couple of weeks away on the 27th. New stuff will be coming out but we don't know what. You may want to wait until then to order!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Excellent point!!!

Digital Nomad
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't mind a smaller day bag, I have a Sidekick that works well for that kind of thing. It won't hold a laptop or anything, but it works well for your sightseeing basics IMO. Plus you can basically use it as a packing cube for your in-flight essentials and pull it out only when you need it.

Plus since it's Europe, you don't have to worry about whether it looks too much like a purse. Scotland is, I have heard, a pretty casual place so nylon or halcyon should be fine with most outfits.

Enjoy Scotland!

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends a lot on how much room you want, but my EDC for years has been the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. Because it's a packing cube, it literally goes from my carry-on to "purse"/EDC in a flash. All I need to do is add shoulder straps to it (which I stash in my front pocket of the PCSB). The Halcyon material is relatively weatherproof. Some may argue that it doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, but I find that using the O-ring inside to strap all the organizer pouches inside, works like a charm. I can either wear it as a regular shoulder bag, or wear it cross-body. If I'm wary of pickpockets, I also use a small binder ring or thin carabiner to gather up all the zipper tabs together and clip it onto the shoulder strap's clip, so nobody can unzip it.

Northern California
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wendybeachbum View Post
    Last note about a water bottle. I went to the Grand Canyon and took my HydroFlask bottle with me along with my Sidekick. I used an S-Biner to hold the bottle but did not like that set up so going to look for another option.
    I am a HUGE fan of Vapur Element collapsible bottles. I don't use them at home because I prefer something sturdier, but for travel, you can't beat their portability. They come with a built-in carabiner, too. And it folds up like a tube of toothpaste so you can easily tuck it away in your EDC when empty. There are other collapsible bottles that I've tried, but the Vapur feels good in my hand. The ones made of rubbery silicone to me feel too soft and squishy.