Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question New zipper style?

Hi guys! Not my new Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30 to replace a rare thing: a destroyed old Aeronaut. (Savages broke into my old one with a knife!)

I noticed that the design has changed a bit. Most specifically, it looks like Tom or YKK changed the zippers. They used to have the water-sealing gussets on the outside of the bag, but now, they're gussetted on the inside.

New zipper style?-img_20171117_131907-jpg

I'm wondering: did YKK change the zippers or did TB change how they sew them? What was the impetus? Dust, perhaps?

Otherwise, of course, I'm totally LOVING the new bag. I know, I know, it's nothing new -- not even to me. But it's still new and joyous. It even has a new bag smell, if that's a thing. PLUS I got those aether packing cubes and boy are they a delight over your typical packing cube. They're so light, it's almost nothing.

Plus I got that new-style halcyon with the darker grid pattern, which I think is far more stylish than the bright white grid pattern.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're ykk aquaguard zippers. I'm assuming they can be sewn in with the taped seam either inside or out. I don't know why one way is preferable over the other but I would assume it's to protect the longevity of the taped seam by putting it on the inside where it's less likely to get damaged.
    Last edited by Sp0o0ky; 11-17-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Northern Virginia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi @bouncing,

I'm so sorry to hear that someone broke into and destroyed your Aeronaut! Frown

TOM BIHN bags are like cars -- over time, great designs evolve to be even better!

Your Aeronaut 30 still has YKK Aquaguard zippers, as @Sp0o0ky mentioned. The decision was made to sew them in with the teeth up some years back. This keeps the zippers more durable over time, and also results in a slightly lighter product, if I recall correctly. The other difference with regard to the zippers that you may have noticed is that the zipper pulls are now gun metal grey. I'm guessing that the ones on your previous Aeronaut were black?

I love the color combination that you chose -- Island is my favorite lining color!
    -m

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I'm guessing that the ones on your previous Aeronaut were black?

I love the color combination that you chose -- Island is my favorite lining color!
    Hey Maverick! I think they were black, yeah. Also, I noticed that now there are webbing handles inside the Aeronaut; I don't believe my last one had that either! Improvements all around and I'm glad to hear about the improvements in the zippers.

And yeah... the old Aeronaut's demise was a bummer. It was okay though; insurance covered me.

Anyway, subtle but noticeable improvements all around. I'm again, these Aether packing cubes are the bees knees. If anyone hasn't tried them, I highly recommend them.

I like the (blue) island color too. Smilie I almost got the new Aeronaut in burnt orange for the outside, but alas, I decided I wanted the lighter weight of halcyon.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bouncing View Post
    I'm again, these Aether packing cubes are the bees knees. If anyone hasn't tried them, I highly recommend them.
    The Aether packing cubes are really great, I highly recommend them too!
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Digital Nomad
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AND I just noticed that there are now grab handles inside the bag. There's a grab handle on the lid and one at the bottom of the opening for the lid.

I used to always just grab my old Aeronaut by the lid itself to move it around the bed. Now there are two handles coming out from inside the bag and they balance the load perfectly. More subtle improvements!