Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Aisle seat
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Western Flyer & Eagle Creek medium packing folder

Sooo I read several times here on the forums that the Eagle Creek medium folder fits the Western Flyer and thought that that would make it the perfect bag for business trips. I jumped on it when my favorite color combo was available and received it today. Nice bag, but.... the folder definitely does not fit.

The people who have made this work, is your bag Halcyon? Is your folder the small one and not the medium size? Because my ballistic WF definitely does not fit the medium folder. Which makes me really sad.

Western Flyer & Eagle Creek medium packing folder-20171121_104857rez-jpg
    Last edited by Artdime; 11-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    Today is a good day for a good day!

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a ballistic WF with a EC medium folder and it does fit though it is a bit tight. I've had the folder for several years so it's possible the specs have changed slightly in recent versions. I'll check mine when I get home later.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the ballistic WF and the Eagle Creek Specter Medium Packing folder. It just fits, but the corners are tight.

The way I put it in is to zip up the WF so that only the top is open, and then slide the Packing folder in. Then I manually maneuver the corners in and zip it shut.

I did find that the folder fit better in one direction than the other direction. By that I mean facing the bottom of the packing folder either towards the front of the WF or towards the back of the WF. The top of the packing folder smooshes down more, but the bottom of the folder is where the corners are going to be tight.

Do you have the Specter or the original packing folder? I think the Specter version is just a tad smaller than the original.

Both the original and Specter medium packing folders are 18" X 12" but the Specter fabric is much, much thinner and slipperier than the original fabric and those few mm make a difference.

The new Tech Specter medium packing folder is 17" x 12".
    Last edited by BWeaves; 11-21-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured my orange Specter Med Packing Folder and its just a tad over 17" long and about 11 3/4" wide. I know the specs on the website for the current version say 18x12 but sometimes those are rough estimates.

You can see pics of mine here.
    https://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vi...ht=#post147361

Hampshire, UK
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the medium packing folder in normal and spectre fabric. The spectre is definitely a little smaller and fits the western flyer perfectly. The normal fabric one is a tiny bit larger but will fit at a stretch.

I have a halcyon western flyer which has plenty of give; but have also had a ballistic WF in the past one both would fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Aeronaut 45 (Navy/NWS), A30 (Black/Island), Tristar (Steel/Island), Western Flyer (Steel/Island), Pilot (Steel/Island), Synapse 25 (Mars Red/NWS), Synapse 19 (Black/Island) & (Burnt Orange/Steel), Ristretto 11 (Navy/Steel), Small Cafe Bag (Navy/Steel) & (Mars Red/Dawn), Daylight Briefcase (Cloud/Dawn), Side Kick (Mars Red/Dawn), Travel Cubelet (Mars Red)

Aisle seat
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it!

@hachkc Thanks for your link, that is a pretty impressive load.

My folder is the EC Specter and measures 17 x 12. After trying a bit harder I managed to get it into the WF. Thanks @BWeaves for your tips!

However, it feels pretty tight. From your responses I assume that this is nothing to worry about and that even after traveling with this setup for a while it will not cause too much stress in the corner areas of the the bag/zippers?

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artdime View Post
    Thank you for the responses, I appreciate it!

@hachkc Thanks for your link, that is a pretty impressive load.

My folder is the EC Specter and measures 17 x 12. After trying a bit harder I managed to get it into the WF. Thanks @BWeaves for your tips!

However, it feels pretty tight. From your responses I assume that this is nothing to worry about and that even after traveling with this setup for a while it will not cause too much stress in the corner areas of the the bag/zippers?
    I have black halcyon and 3 EC mediums, one is a spectre - I've put two jammed full in the back pocket of my WF, 1 with 2 suits, and one with dress shirts, t-shirts, ties, socks, undies, leaving the front for shoes, a full size BT speaker, and my dopp kit.

Oh yeah, I jam that fecker plum full and never an issue. It's the best bag in Bihn's line for me ... if they made one 6 liters smaller and more like a pilot I'd hug them all in business appropriate way.

Based on your picture, not only would I say that EC folder fits, you've got at least an extra 1/2 liter of space along the sides to play with
    Last edited by GrussGott; 11-21-2017 at 02:29 PM.

Aisle seat
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    I have black halcyon and 3 EC mediums, one is a spectre - I've put two jammed full in the back pocket of my WF, 1 with 2 suits, and one with dress shirts, t-shirts, ties, socks, undies, leaving the front for shoes, a full size BT speaker, and my dopp kit.

Oh yeah, I jam that fecker plum full and never an issue. It's the best bag in Bihn's line for me ... if they made one 6 liters smaller and more like a pilot I'd hug them all in business appropriate way.

Based on your picture, not only would I say that EC folder fits, you've got at least an extra 1/2 liter of space along the sides to play with

Two suits in one folder, eh? Very cool. I'll get there. Very glad to hear that the WF can take it.

How is your trip going? Thanks for sharing photos, especially the one of the Christmas market - made me a little homesick.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, @Artdime, I’ve been a lurker her for more than a year and a Bihnion for about the same amount of time - this is my first post because I absolutely live for the WF and had to speak up. This summer, I did 11 days in Europe, no laundry, with my ballistic WF and Copilot and it was amazing. I used an EC specter medium packing folder to hold ALL my clothing (except for undies and sleep shirts) and it wasn’t even that tight to zip into the back compartment when it was basically stuffed like a sausage itself, so I’d definitely get a specter one if you don’t have one.