1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that you'd want a second bag for your valuables and those items that you need to access frequently (meds, meters etc) for ease of access, but can be removed and attached to the chair and security - maybe something that fits into the WF or S25, but is normally kept within reach and eyesight. We had a woman in our office who had a wallet stolen out of her Ego that was attached to the back of her chair while she was in a crowded elevator.

Something like Heroclip (formerly called Cliplet/Qliplet) works well for attaching things so they don't get lost yet are large enough to manage easily.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @tpnl, I cannot thank you enough. Your advice has really helped. I would have never considered the GES25, but you now have me convinced.

I did have one thought though. How could I bundle up the tails to adjust the straps? I hate when the tails of my current bag get stuck in my spokes.

Kirbysgirl

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ceb View Post
    I suspect that you'd want a second bag for your valuables and those items that you need to access frequently (meds, meters etc) for ease of access, but can be removed and attached to the chair and security - maybe something that fits into the WF or S25, but is normally kept within reach and eyesight. We had a woman in our office who had a wallet stolen out of her Ego that was attached to the back of her chair while she was in a crowded elevator.

Something like Heroclip (formerly called Cliplet/Qliplet) works well for attaching things so they don't get lost yet are large enough to manage easily.
    That is a great point. I will take that into consideration. I usually have a small bag attached to my wheelchair, hanging down from the seat, but behind my legs for things like my wallet and phone. Ideally I'd like to have it somewhere that I can easily access but have it concealed. What about attaching a pouch or two to key straps inside the bag? That way I can access them, but they are actually attached to the bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbysgirl View Post
    @tpnl, I cannot thank you enough. Your advice has really helped. I would have never considered the GES25, but you now have me convinced.

I did have one thought though. How could I bundle up the tails to adjust the straps? I hate when the tails of my current bag get stuck in my spokes.

Kirbysgirl
    Whaaat???? You don't like straps getting tangled up in the spokes? Takes all the fun out of it....

There are lots of ways of managing straps. You can use a "web dominator" (search amazon) or just roll up the ends and secure them with a velcro strap like the ones you use to wrap up charging cables. There is also a thread here somewhere about managing strap ends.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great point. I will take that into consideration. I usually have a small bag attached to my wheelchair, hanging down from the seat, but behind my legs for things like my wallet and phone. Ideally I'd like to have it somewhere that I can easily access but have it concealed. What about attaching a pouch or two to key straps inside the bag? That way I can access them, but they are actually attached to the bag.
    Sure. Whatever "wallet and essentials bag" you pick should be designed so that you can secure it in your bag but remains within view and readily at hand when you are sitting - the continual twisting to get to things in your bag isn't good for you.

While each disability is different and we've all adjusted to ours, there are a few things that I've learned over the years in working with my agency's Disability Resource Center - keep valuables close and make your life as easy as possible.

Me? I'd do a wallet in a bag in a bag. I'd permanently attach a bag inside the armrest on the chair - think something like a longer and thinner organizer cube. Into that bag goes something like an organizer cube into which goes your wallet and other stuff you want handy. You can leave the organizer cube open while in the larger bag for easier access.

When you get up, you grab the organizer bag, pop it into your S25 and you're ready to go.

Of course that only works if your chair is wide enough to allow you to have a bag there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kirbysgirl
    I am glad my post helped.

For the dangling strap question, there have been many thread on how people do this - Velcro, Web Dominators (@ceb mentions these 2 good options - Web Dominators seem to be quite popular), Tri-Glides, etc. Here is a link to one of the earlier threads:

Corralling (SP?) Backpack Straps

This is what I do (see post #12 in the above thread):

@terayon had a good solution – documented in the TB Forum Bag Hacks video below – go to 35 seconds in (appropriately called "No More Danglies" ):

Tom Bihn Forum Bag Hacks Part II

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 12-05-2017 at 12:14 PM.
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ceb and @tpnl you guys are the best. Unfortunately my chair is no where near wide enough to have something sitting next to me. One thing I do when I'm in a high traffic area is I put my wallet in my Service Dog's vest. That way it won't run away without me

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would a Side Effect or Travel Cubelet work to keep on your person while your bag is behind you? I find that when I'm carrying these bags I just leave them on, worn crossbody, for convenience. Both could easily slip into an S25 :-)
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    Would a Side Effect or Travel Cubelet work to keep on your person while your bag is behind you? I find that when I'm carrying these bags I just leave them on, worn crossbody, for convenience. Both could easily slip into an S25 :-)
    It could, but I don't want anything on me if I can manage it. I try to keep my wheelchair clutter free, and for me, that also means not having anything on me. I don't like having things on or near my lap while I'm in my chair. It impedes my ability to push my chair (this rule does not include baby animals or kids). I'm a wheelchair racer, so I mainly push bent at the waist and get all my power from my upper body weight. I hope that makes sense. I will give it a shot though!

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could, but I don't want anything on me if I can manage it. I try to keep my wheelchair clutter free, and for me, that also means not having anything on me. I don't like having things on or near my lap while I'm in my chair. It impedes my ability to push my chair (this rule does not include baby animals or kids). I'm a wheelchair racer, so I mainly push bent at the waist and get all my power from my upper body weight. I hope that makes sense. I will give it a shot though!
    That makes complete sense! I like those bags because I can tuck them behind the small of my back and keep them out of the way, but I can see how even the strap might get in the way.
    kindness is contagious.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bermudajes View Post
    That makes complete sense! I like those bags because I can tuck them behind the small of my back and keep them out of the way, but I can see how even the strap might get in the way.
    That's a good idea! I might be able to handle that. It's something I can try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2