Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will the Synapse 25 hold all my stuff?

I like to think I'm a pretty medium packer, and I'm recently trying to get everything to fit into one bag. I have a Goruck GR1 26L which is able to fit my:

Eagle Creek small garment folder containing:
    * Sweatpants
    * Flannel shirt
    * 4 t-shirts
    * shorts

Eagle Creek small cube:
    * two athletic shorts
    * two athletic shirts

Eagle Creek shoe bag:
    * Size 12 running shoes, filled with socks and underwear

Other:
    * Large toiletry bag that can definitely be sized down if need be
    * 15 inch MacBook Pro Retina and charger
    * One or two books

This is me at my most I would ever consider bringing anywhere. I'm wondering if the Synapse could hold the small cube in the bottom pocket, the laptop, books, garment folder, and shoes in the main compartment, and the toiletry bag (a small one) in the side pockets. Now that I type it out though, it might be a tight fit.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this might work in the Synapse 25. I have a Synapse 19 and in the main compartment I can fit two of the following three with enough room for a book or two:

1) My 15 inch MBP (without a sleeve, although this does put some extra pressure on the zippers if the main compartment is stuffed full)
    2) A pair of size 12 running shoes
    3) A small EC garment folder, or a medium EC packing cube

The toiletry bag could probably fit in the water bottle compartment if it was smaller, and a small EC packing cube can fit in the bottom compartment. There are also the side pockets to stuff things in. I imagine that with the larger volume of the Synapse 25, it might be possible to put all three items in the main compartment with room at the top left over for the small EC packing cube. The bottom compartment will then hold the toiletry bag.

Forum Member
    NE UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might well be surprised at the Synapse 25's capacity for swallowing gear. On a recent trip I packed as follows:

Main compartment: medium packing cube holding a pair of Levis, four thick full-sleeve cotton shirts and five sets of boxers and socks; a small toiletries bag; MacBook Pro 13" (not in a sleeve); two paperback books; a Moleskine notebook; a laundry sack; a Contigo Westloop travel mug (that's the big one!); some lunch for the train journey;

Front lower compartment: a North Face polartec fleece;

Water bottle compartment: sleeping mask, beanie hat, chargers in a small EC stuff sack;

Small front compartment: the usual small stuff: a Buff, mints, tissues etc;

Right front compartment: electric razor in its case, sunglasses in a case;

Left front compartment: pens, snacks, a foldaway shopping bag.

The S25 took the lot, patted its tummy, burped and asked what was for dessert.

If I'd needed to I could have squeezed in a pair of light shoes, at the bottom of the main compartment. And on the way back home I managed to fit in three more books and a jar of chutney and even then the bag wasn't bulging out in any way. I reckon your more modest load should fit well and even leave you room for extra gear should you ever need it.

Earth!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others -- the S25 will swallow an incredible amount of stuff. Last time I went through security, the screener said -- what have you got in here, bricks??

No, just my computer, two large pouches with my notebooks and pens, a ball cap, a rain jacket, an external hard drive, an external battery charger, 4 pouches full of various and assorted nonsense, a flashlight, a hug light, a small knitting project, a computer mouse, my extra contact lenses, my glasses, full-sized headphones, computer cord, an umbrella, a pair of slip-on shoes, my little Swift, sunglasses, snacks, and a shop bag.

It was pretty heavy Big Grin

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinKnight View Post
    Eagle Creek shoe bag:
    * Size 12 running shoes, filled with socks and underwear
    Try to fit your shoes in the bottom pocket. I have size 11 running shoes in eagle creek specter shoe sac that are a tight fight but I think 12s May fit as well (max). After that it will be piece of cake and I am sure you will have room leftover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses guys! Very illuminating. Two more questions:

* I mostly use a 15 inch MacBook pro, which is my work computer. If I'm on vacation I'm brining a small MacBook. If I buy the cache for the 15 inch MacBook, is the 13 inch just going to flop around in there? What would be the best solution to this
    * This is kinda nitpicky. I mostly will use this bag for work, where it'll just be a laptop, two notebooks, and a 500 page textbook. I don't like when the textbooks and notebooks are kinda just flopping around. Will they be in the belly of this compartment?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I brought on a 15 day trip. No laptop or shoes (except the pair I had on my feet). But that's a fair amount of stuff. All the packing cubes went into the main section. The rest into the various pockets in front. Ipad in the main section.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    SF Bay area
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amallen View Post
    The S25 took the lot, patted its tummy, burped and asked what was for dessert.
    Pie, I hope!

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post
    What I brought on a 15 day trip. No laptop or shoes (except the pair I had on my feet). But that's a fair amount of stuff. All the packing cubes went into the main section. The rest into the various pockets in front. Ipad in the main section.

Holy shit.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like when the textbooks and notebooks are kinda just flopping around. Will they be in the belly of this compartment?
    I have an 11” air inside a sleeve that goes inside the main compartment’s elastic pocket and doesn’t flop around at all. You could try this with the MacBook. IDK about the 15” laptop though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys.

I did order my Synapse 25 and I'm having a little bit of trouble getting everything in, but I can do it. Unfortunately, its a really puffy pack, and I almost feel like its being strained from how much is in it. Do you guys ever stuff this thing to the brim? I almost feel more comfortable having it at a lesser volume.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by panda2mama View Post

Do you have any pictures of it fully loaded? I'm nervous about how "full" it feels.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the S25 as my one bag type thing (though I did have a purse) for a 3 week trip to Peru this summer. It was stuffed to the brim because I bought souvenirs. I was worried about the zippers but Tom Bihn stuff is tough as nails.

However, it was very uncomfortable to wear because the back started bowing and got that egg shape. It was also soo heavy that I could barely carry it by hand. I packed as light as I could and am not sure what I could have taken out because I used the crap out of every single thing I took and did laundry every 3 or 4 days. I think I need to invest in more merino wool clothing since cotton is just heavy.

In the main compartment, I had two long ebag packing cubes for all my clothes that had a few pairs of pants and tights and a pair of shorts and socks. The other had three shirts, one long sleeved shirt, swim suit, pjs. Also had laundry bag and powder detergent and clothes line in the main compartment, pair of hiking shoes, rain jacket, and souvenirs as time went on.

Bottom pocket had toiletry bag and neck pillow. Two side pockets had mix of chargers and electronics. Middle pocket for water bottle and sleeping bag liner and compact travel towel. Top little pocket for random knick knacks.

If I find a picture of it full, I'll share it here.

I'm really excited for the internal frame. I think it will be a game changer for the 25. Preventing that egg shape will make it easier to wear, though I know it means I can't stuff it with as much stuff...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atrandum View Post
    I took the S25 as my one bag type thing (though I did have a purse) for a 3 week trip to Peru this summer. It was stuffed to the brim because I bought souvenirs. I was worried about the zippers but Tom Bihn stuff is tough as nails.

However, it was very uncomfortable to wear because the back started bowing and got that egg shape. It was also soo heavy that I could barely carry it by hand. I packed as light as I could and am not sure what I could have taken out because I used the crap out of every single thing I took and did laundry every 3 or 4 days. I think I need to invest in more merino wool clothing since cotton is just heavy.

In the main compartment, I had two long ebag packing cubes for all my clothes that had a few pairs of pants and tights and a pair of shorts and socks. The other had three shirts, one long sleeved shirt, swim suit, pjs. Also had laundry bag and powder detergent and clothes line in the main compartment, pair of hiking shoes, rain jacket, and souvenirs as time went on.

Bottom pocket had toiletry bag and neck pillow. Two side pockets had mix of chargers and electronics. Middle pocket for water bottle and sleeping bag liner and compact travel towel. Top little pocket for random knick knacks.

If I find a picture of it full, I'll share it here.

I'm really excited for the internal frame. I think it will be a game changer for the 25. Preventing that egg shape will make it easier to wear, though I know it means I can't stuff it with as much stuff...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Did you have a laptop? I think that's causing a lot of my struggles.

Forum Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you have a laptop? I think that's causing a lot of my struggles.
    Ohh I see. I didn't have a laptop actually. I don't need it on rough travels like that. I was teaching an online class at the time and just did everything on my phone haha. My laptop is a microsoft surface pro 13", so it's smaller and gets swallowed by the main compartment. As an everyday carry, I need the cache to suspend the laptop so it doesn't just drag at the bottom and flop around. Without the cache, the laptop doesn't sit well in the bag and digs into my shoulder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast