Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Honolulu, HI
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do you still use your Indigo/Steel Imago, too, when you travel? Such a pretty color!

I remember when Indigo debuted for the Tri-Star. I down-sized to this bag in Indigo/Solar, because I generally don't need as much room as my A45 takes up.

moriond

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Do you still use your Indigo/Steel Imago, too, when you travel? Such a pretty color!

I remember when Indigo debuted for the Tri-Star. I down-sized to this bag in Indigo/Solar, because I generally don't need as much room as my A45 takes up.

moriond
    As much as I loved the Imago (and my color combination) I found I just was not using it so I sold it to a friend a few years ago (before they retired, i think). I found that messenger style bags were just not for me. I really love the indigo color and was at first reluctant to let it go just because the color was retired by then, but as I said before, my Indigo/Solar A45 is still going strong to help keep the color alive.
    I generally travel now with the A45 as either carryon or checked, and also carry a S25, but recently acquired one of the nordic SAs and a pop tote made its way into my cart this morning, so I will be torn on what to travel with for my next trip!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of years ago, I flew from DFW to Copenhagen via Amsterdam. My check through was an Eagle Creek (Black) 26" bag. When I got to Copenhagen, I was stunned to have my bag returned to me as a brown/grey bag. TOTALLY dragged through the mud at some point. All the other bags were fine. If I have to check through a bag, it is an Eagle Creek bag with a "no matter what" warranty.

I am waaaay too attached to my TB bags to let them out of my site. My oldest ones look new. As a matter of fact, it is one of my greatest fears to ever have to check one. Luckily I have never had to. IF it happens, I will have to come here for therapy. It is not that I don't think they'd make it, but I love the way they look, the compliments they get and I actually schlepp my A45 fully loaded on my back (which has problems) without a single ache.

I am just not brave enough.

On the wrap thing, I think if I felt the need, I'd bring my own moving lollipop (Saran wrap thingy with a handle (WallyWorld and others sell them). I already take a small one when I travel to secure all sorts of things. I just use them up until they are travel size.

Montana
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow...that Imago is a gorgeous bag! Love the shape and the color combo.
    Navy/Wasabi S25, Sitka Mini OP,
    Nordic/Iberian SE, Nordic PCSB, Navy Medium Clear OP, Iberian 8" Key Strap, Ultraviolet 8" Key Strap,
    Black/NWS SK, Ultraviolet Large OP, Fjord Small TT, Verde Small Double OP, Island Origami Swan, Island 3D OP , Island SSC , Nordic/NWS LCB, Multi Color Clear OW

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've checked my ballistic A45 and A30 many times (bringing booze back from vacation is usually the motivating factor ). The only "damage" they've gotten can be seen in the photo below... just chalk, and it came right off with a warm, damp cloth.

A45 as checked luggage? Or something else? Or bad idea?-hello-jpg
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the? WHY?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
    I've checked my ballistic A45 and A30 many times (bringing booze back from vacation is usually the motivating factor ). The only "damage" they've gotten can be seen in the photo below... just chalk, and it came right off with a warm, damp cloth.

A45 as checked luggage? Or something else? Or bad idea?-hello-jpg
    I had the same reaction as BWEAVES. WHY!?!?! I'm glad to hear that it came out but that sort of thing is just ridiculous that it would happen in the first place. Definitely makes me think twice about check my beloved TB bags.

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine a rather bored baggage handler, thinking he might brighten somebody's day with a greeting.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets

Silicon Valley
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WTF??? I've seen and heard about a lot stuff in my (airline) day, but not that!

Minneapolis
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
    WTF??? I've seen and heard about a lot stuff in my (airline) day, but not that!
    The airline personnel (this was in Amsterdam) that I showed it to were just as baffled as I was, and actually filed a damage claim for me, on the off-chance I couldn't get the chalk off. Not sure this is a reason, but it was an intra-Europe, budget carrier that used a third-party baggage handling firm. I suspect that @Denises is correct: bored baggage handler who thought it would be funny.

I was pretty calm about it, once I realized it was chalk, but I did have a moment or two of panic when I first saw the bag.

(ETA, the woman who filed the claim was more apologetic because it was "clearly a brand-new bag" and I don't think she believed me when I told her how many miles were on it )
    Last edited by kathryn; 12-01-2017 at 05:47 AM.
    "I'm more of a creative problem solver with good taste and a soft spot for logistical nightmares. ― Maria Semple, Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The airline personnel (this was in Amsterdam) that I showed it to were just as baffled as I was, and actually filed a damage claim for me, on the off-chance I couldn't get the chalk off. Not sure this is a reason, but it was an intra-Europe, budget carrier that used a third-party baggage handling firm. I suspect that @Denises is correct: bored baggage handler who thought it would be funny.

I was pretty calm about it, once I realized it was chalk, but I did have a moment or two of panic when I first saw the bag.
    On the way too Amsterdam or the way from Amsterdam? I would suspect it more like the bag being tagged as part of a smuggling operation, but then again, I'm pessimistic like that.

Forum Member
    North Queensland, Australia
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheep_jeep View Post
    I really like the option of the backpack straps if I have a long commute on public transportation from the airport as I can streamline through crowds easily if I am not dragging a bag along behind me.
    This is exactly why i now use my (black ballistic) A45 when i need to check a bag. Right now i am on a domestic trip that involved flying into Sydney airport, taking one train from the airport to a hub station in the city, and there transferring to a regional train. On board the trains the A45 was easy to hoist onto the overhead bag shelf. i have also several times used the A45 as checked luggage on the three-flight trip from where i live in northern Australia to New York, stayed overnight with friends in Brooklyn, taken the subway into manhattan, and gotten a commuter train out to my family in Connecticut. I can do this, with the longish flights of stairs involved, with the A45 on my back but not with a rolling bag, which i find much harder to carry up and down stairs. i don't hesitate to check my A45 at all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2