1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A45 + DLBP to Tri-Star

Hello.

My current travel combo is the Aeronaut 45 (ballistic) and a Daylight Backpack (halcyon). I've used this for several flights and weekend car trips and it works very well. However, I would really like to pare down to one bag and think the Tri-Star may be the solution. I have been working over the past few trips on packing the items that I need instead of everything I need PLUS all the just in case / what if items.

My typical packing list includes one pair of pants or 2-3 pairs of shorts depending on the trip, 2-3 undershirts, 2-3 casual shirts, socks, underwear, second pair of shoes along with toiletries. I also bring an iPad, Bose QC35 headphones, empty water bottle and Side Effect (halcyon) for cords, chargers and various small items. Sometimes, I bring my MacBook Pro 13" as well.

Have any of you made a smilier change? Or, has anyone used both the A45 & Tri-Star?

For those that own the Tri-Star, do you prefer the ballistic or halcyon?

Might I be able to pack the case for the Bose in the ) pocket on the front?

Thank you!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both an A45 & a T.S. both in Ballistic,I can't see myself ever buying bags in Halcyon really.
    The two are pretty different overall and each has it's better application I think and I don't see me choosing between the in my collection at all?

The A45 is more of an open hole for clothes to me and I never travel without an office worth of non-clothes so the A45 by itself is likely not a 1 bag candidate for my use.

The T.S. on the other hand is smaller for sure but also more organized and oriented towards mixed use for me.

I can easily travel for a few days in the T.S. and have many times. I will stick a Pilot in there if I tink I might use it for Computer stuff or need it for buying things or getting convention literature as they so so handy but I have also tucked an S19 into the T.S. for the same things and it also worked well.

I usually need more room than I think I will and I also find that 1 bag travle is just not satisfying to me in the end.
    I can do it but then I only get to use 1 bag!
    Why would I prefer that?

So I too end up using the together and I can go with the T.S. alone or add the A45 to extend any trip with the same load in the T.S. regardless.

I have'm and I intend to use'm as often as I can!

I am the last person to opine constructively on anything Bose so I will leave that one there.

Clearly you just need both.

But I bet yo already knew that too?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I can do it but then I only get to use 1 bag!
    Why would I prefer that?
    lol... so true!

Thank you for the insightful response. I'm glad to know that a smaller bag will fit inside the Tri-Star as I like having the DLBP as my day bag or maybe a DLBC as my meeting bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checkout my review how I use it tim: https://arslan.io/2017/11/13/tom-bih...ar-bag-review/

I never used an Aeronaut but I'm able to use the Tri-Star for one week, if I could I could also use it for 2-3 weeks (ultralight). I also carry my laptop and the same headphone and various other things (see the blog post for pictures).

The Tri-Star is the perfect single onebag you could own in my opionion. The only ceveat is that you have to be organized and obey the system it gives you. If you need big open space and want to have your own organization the A30 could be good fit.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fatih View Post
    Checkout my review how I use it tim: https://arslan.io/2017/11/13/tom-bih...ar-bag-review/
    Very good review and helpful. Thank you.

I have high hopes that the my desired color combination (Steel/Island) will be made the next time around. Will keep the A45 for big trips that require two bags.