1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medium Cafe Bag, Daylight Briefcase or Maker's Bag

I need a bag to carry my stuff when I'm doing roadshows. I will be standing for 3-4 hrs, so the comfort and weight matters. I'm only 5'1". S19 fits, but the material is not quickly accessible, and it gets warm in outdoor venues.

The bag will need to fit the following:

- A4 size presentation file
    - A4 clipboard
    - iPad
    - Wallet, car keys, security keycards
    - Namecards, pens
    - Tissues
    - Small COP
    - mobile phone
    - (maybe a small water bottle)

I have the halcyon Maker's Bag. It fits everything, but I feel it's a little big to carry while doing a roadshow.

Anyone has experience with the other 2 bags?

I currently use a Small Cafe Bag, the iPad fits but not the A4 sized stuff.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Medium Cafe Bag, Daylight Briefcase or Maker's Bag

I would recommend the DLBC and Absolute Strap. The DLBP is light and the absolute strap makes it very easy to carry.

I use the DLBC for carrying an iPad Pro (12.9 inch) in a cache, it still has room for my TC with extra cables.

When not carrying an iPad I also use it as a diaper bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JonC; 12-10-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am a big fan of the MCB and its ease of access I think it would be a it too small for all that to live comfortably.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edward.dennihy View Post
    While I am a big fan of the MCB and its ease of access I think it would be a it too small for all that to live comfortably.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    I'm currently able to fit everything but the A4 file and clipboard in the SCB. If that is the case, would the MCB fit SCB stuff plus an additional A4 folder? Would the MCB fit an A4 folder in the first place? I ask this as the website says an iPad is a tight fit in the SCB, yet I find the iPad fits comfortably with extra space.

Having trouble uploading photos on Tapatalk. Just upgraded to Samsung Note 8 phone. Not sure what is wrong....

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Current set up. Without A4 folder, which I have to hold in my hand. Plenty of space for the iPad.Medium Cafe Bag, Daylight Briefcase or Maker's Bag-1512887871321-1008x756-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're used to the SCB, the MCB seems like a logical bag to try. But I'm also 5'1" and I find the MCB too tall. Or should I say, "too long"? I mean that the bottom of the bag hung too low on my leg to be comfortable walking around. It's about 12" tall compared to the about 10" of the SCB and DLBC, but those 2 inches seemed to make a big difference for me. I much prefer the DLBC when I need to carry extra things, especially papers.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Such a temptation to get both MCB and DLBC. But too expensive to do a return, so got to think through it...

Currently, DLBC is available in halcyon whereas MCB has ballistic 525. Halcyon being relatively lighter. Yes, I feel the difference. Even when I carry the halcyon vs ballistic SCB. I think it's the length of time I carry it. But then the thought of the DLBC possibly in Mars Red makes my heart rate increase.

Possible that the MCB being a bit too long for my height. Might have to do a trial run at home with something of that size.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the daylight briefcase but putting a A4 file folder and an A4 clipboard is a bit of a stretch.

For US readers, A4 is a bit longer (about 11 1/4) and a bit skinnier (8 1/4) than the US Letter size paper.

I have a cache in the briefcase and I'm hard pressed to add a Rhodia A4 wirebound meeting book inside. Outside, I can barely fit a few sheets of letter sized paper. To make it a bit stiffer, I cut down a stiff letter sized file folder and worked the longer side under the zipper. This allows me to put a sheaf of papers in the back outside pocket without getting them wrinkled.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will a standard-sized iPad (approx. 9.5 x 7 in.) fit in the front lower zipper compartment in the DLBC?

Volunteer Moderator
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Go Navy View Post
    Will a standard-sized iPad (approx. 9.5 x 7 in.) fit in the front lower zipper compartment in the DLBC?
    My recollection is that the front, diagonal zipper pocket of the Daylight Briefcase can take at most an iPad Air -- with the Smart Cover on, but without a cache, and that this will just fit into that pocket (height limit). The iPad Air 2 dimensions (240 x 169.5 x 6.1 mm) is supposed to be the same as the 2017 iPad, so that new iPad should also fit (without a cache). But I get 6.673" height from those specs, and not the 7" you cite. 7" is the height of the earlier iPads before the iPad airs, and they don't fit, while the IPad Air, even th3 first model that was thicker, just did fit the front diagonal zippered pocket. So someone else who has this model will have to check for you, or you need to be exact in your dimension measurements.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, moriond.....I was measuring, very quickly, my iPad Air with the smart cover on. So the smart cover could mostly account for our difference in height between us.

Maybe someone from Bihn will confirm whether an iPad, or which iPad, will fit in the front diagonal zipper pocket of the daylight briefcase.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried it on my Black Halcyon Daylight Briefcase with my iPad Pro 9.7". The iPad Pro 9.7" will fit in there with the smart cover on, but is definitely on the snug side going in and out. It gets even harder with the smart keyboard attached instead of the smart cover, to the point where I don't think I would do it (given that there is both the internal pocket and the full size pocket on the other side of the exterior). The main issue is the size of the diagonal zipper's opening, which is smaller than the actual interior height of the pocket itself.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcl View Post
    I just tried it on my Black Halcyon Daylight Briefcase with my iPad Pro 9.7". The iPad Pro 9.7" will fit in there with the smart cover on, but is definitely on the snug side going in and out. It gets even harder with the smart keyboard attached instead of the smart cover, to the point where I don't think I would do it (given that there is both the internal pocket and the full size pocket on the other side of the exterior). The main issue is the size of the diagonal zipper's opening, which is smaller than the actual interior height of the pocket itself.
    That's very informative. The published dimensions of the iPad Pro 12.9, without cover, are 12 x 8.7 inches. The published dimensions of the iPad (which is what Apple now calls it), without cover, are 9.4 x 6.6 inches. So, based on your report, I would think a regular iPad would go into that front slanted pocket on Daylight Briefcase, even with a smart cover on it.

Thanks!