Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverted packing cube backpacks against regular packing cubes?

I'm trying to decide if a packing cube backpack would make sense for me. I'm currently using Eagle Creek Spector compression bags, but I like the versatility of the PCBPs. Does anyone have any pictures of them inverted, alongside more common packing cubes (Eagle Creek, eBags) so I can get a feel for the size? I'm going to be using them in a Synapse 25,

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you empty out your packing cube just to use the backpack?

I'm also curious to compare the PCBP to the Eagle Creek packing cubes, because I use the Eagle Creek Specter packing cubes, compression cubes and the packing folders.

The only reason I haven't bought a PCBP is because I don't think I would use the backpack functionality. I tend to leave my packing cubes packed when I'm traveling. Used clothing goes on the Dirty side or the bottom. Clean stuff on top or on the Clean side. It keeps everything from getting wrinkled, and I'm already packed and ready to go at the end of my trip. Because of this, I would never empty out my cube and then use it as my day bag. I already have a day bag (SK or SE or TC), as I prefer a minimalist bag that's on my front where I can keep my hand on it.

By the seaside, England
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only PCBP I have direct experience of is the original design for the Aeronaut, later the A45.
    Haven't got either a picture or the cube to hand - may be able to post a picture at some point later if needed. In terms of size it's about the same, in cube mode, as an A45 standard packing cube. I don't have any Eagle Creek or other cubes to compare with, I'm afraid. The material on mine is 200D Nylon/Dyneema (Halcyon) fabric which is fairly thin but nowhere near as thin and light as an EC Specter cube for example.
    My gut feeling is that that particular model would be a bit big to work with a Synapse 25. In packing cube mode, it's a fairly chunky square, a couple of inches thick, with pronounced external finished seams around its edges and the webbing backpack straps inside taking up a bit of space / getting in the way to some extent; inverted to backpack mode, it sprouts an extra section on the bottom to become rectangular - the extra section can be used as a separate internal section in packing cube mode... I use it to segregate socks and underwear from shirts, for example, or you could just compress it out of the way.
    BWeaves asked "would you empty out your packing cube just to use the backpack?" to which I would answer yes, and indeed I have done. I used to do just that to use the backpack to carry workout gear while on business in London; I've also done that in order to use the backpack as a daypack, e.g. to carry my laptop and paperwork to and from the office while leaving my Aeronaut or A30 back at the hotel - which is pretty much its intended use. It's not the most 'professional-looking' of backpacks when used in that way, if that is a concern to you - mine is Solar yellow, which probably doesn't help in that regard! Ultimately it depends on whether you feel the extra packing/unpacking etc is too much of a faff or not, relative to the amount of weight/space it saves when packing - I found the tradeoff was worth it for a couple of specific use cases; YMMV.
    A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really see the point of trying to use one of the PCBPs in a S25. If you need a backpack at your destination, why not just pull whatever PC you do use out of the S25 and then you can use the S25 as your backpack at your destination.

NYC
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using it with my Tristar and here are some photos from my review https://arslan.io/2017/11/13/tom-bih...ar-bag-review/ :

Inverted packing cube backpacks against regular packing cubes?-tombihn-91-911-jpg
    Inverted packing cube backpacks against regular packing cubes?-tombihn-1041-jpg
    Inverted packing cube backpacks against regular packing cubes?-tombihn-86-911-jpg
    Inverted packing cube backpacks against regular packing cubes?-dscf0113_random-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys! I'm also considering the Aeronaut 30 packing cube backpack. I doubt I'd use the backpack functionality often, but I find myself wanting a small sack for light hikes, and think it'd be cool to combine them into one item.

On an unrelated note, do the stuff sacks really actually compress? They look really cool, and I think it'd be nice to put like gym clothes in if they can actually efficiently get the size compressed.
    Last edited by TinKnight; 12-23-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stuff sacks are not compression cubes. The stuff sacks are just drawstring sacks. Compression cubes usually have an extra zipper to make the cube smaller, or some other mechanism to extract the air.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    The stuff sacks are not compression cubes. The stuff sacks are just drawstring sacks. Compression cubes usually have an extra zipper to make the cube smaller, or some other mechanism to extract the air.
    I have a few compression cubes and I don't like them very much. I like drawstring bags better, but I guess I'm asking if they're good at that.

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually pack sweaters in compression cubes because the compression system really does squash those suckers flat. I don't get the same effect from a stuff sack.