1-800-729-9607 | emailus@tombihn.com

Shop Tom Bihn
TOM BIHN Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. TOM BIHN has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am around 4í11 and I like the A30 for one-bag, carryon trips. I have not owned a WF but the relatively flat compartments would not work for my style of packing, I tend to ďstuffĒ when Iím in a hurry. I would rather underpack the A30 and use some of the space to bring a second bag in Halcyon - either the DLBP, or Makerís Bag, to use as a day bag/EDC at my destination. That way I donít have to unpack my travel bag, and I have a little flexibility and/or overflow capacity, to shift my load around or carry a small souvenir.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    I would rather underpack the A30 and use some of the space to bring a second bag in Halcyon - either the DLBP, or Maker’s Bag, to use as a day bag/EDC at my destination
    The PCBP is one of my favorite WF accessories. I use it routinely as a day bag to sight-see or hit the beach once I reach my destination, but I have also used it as a second back for the return trip to accommodate space for knicknacks or clothes I purchased along the way. The modularity of it as a packing cube is quite efficient compared to packing away a second bag. I have been able to fit about 50% more into the PCBP on its own when it isn't nested in the WF, so it provides impressive expansion space for a return trip.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of questions, with thoughts:

By "one bag", do you mean you want a single item of luggage or that you want carry-on only? I'm a carry-on only traveler by preference, and the personal item is an important part of how I manage the weight of my electronica. The airlines I use allow a slim computer bag as the personal item, so one option is that the weight of the laptop, tablet and battery can go in that, while the lightweight bulk of the cables and mouse can go with the pair of shoes in the cabin luggage, or tucked around the perimeter of the pack cells.

How much longer do you think you'll travel with a laptop? Like others on this forum, I've been doing personal travel with a small tablet for several years now, and work travel with a Surface. Either way, it's more like slipping a printed report into a bag than building the packing around the needs of the computer.

As for weight tests, I'd suggest grabbing whatever you have and loading it up with different weights to try it. Yes, the bag will make a difference to how comfortable a load is to carry, but you should get a fair idea with any reasonable experiment whether you hate lugging a certain load around for 2 hours, or running with it to catch a connecting flight.

All the best! (I'm also short and recently got an Aeronaut30 as a conscious choice for sizing down, but I tend to go for 3 to 4 weeks of non-work travel with no electronica bigger than an iPad Mini.)
    Last edited by Hanaper; 01-06-2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Adding a missed word for sense. :)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanaper View Post
    By "one bag", do you mean you want a single item of luggage or that you want carry-on only?
    Yep, both. A SINGLE carry on. Preferably one that qualifies as the maximum personal item size that can be stowed under the seat. No more fighting for overhead space! It is certainly a challenge with the electronica , but it is possible (this was my first use, later I was able to trim and stuff to travel with full-size Lenovo for a work trip of the same length)

How much longer do you think you'll travel with a laptop? Like others on this forum, I've been doing personal travel with a small tablet for several years now, and work travel with a Surface.
    Same for me, I don't usually travel with anything but the phone unless I plan on a working vacation. Not likely I will be carrying more in future.

Eventually, 8 days worth of travel in one bag!

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imperator View Post
    A SINGLE carry on. Preferably one that qualifies as the maximum personal item size that can be stowed under the seat.
    Aha! This is a terminology difference, since some of the airlines I fly would consider that size of item "cabin luggage" rather than a "personal item". It looks like a fascinating challenge, though.

For me, a key call would be whether I could get through the trip with the single pair of shoes/boots I wear on the plane. For mostly-urban travel with no sports planned, I have summer shoes/winter boots that I could live in.

Then it's working through the layers needed, and how many of them I'd wear on the plane. Basic idea is that body layers should be thin and easily washable - or merino that I can shake out, air and re-wear a time or two. Other layers are going to see regular re-use.

For inspiration, I recommend finding some of the no-bag travel blogs and videos. They're mostly some blend of young/informal/warm-climate, but they do make you think about what you really need. When my luggage is getting a bit bulgy I follow some of them and then build up, rather than gathering everything I could take and trying to build down from there.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Cristina, without a list of the stuff you would bring arguments for and against are rather abstract.

For example My set up works in a s19 but I do not carry a laptop

I think one thing to keep in mind is try to use anything you have before you go out and buy all new stuff. Once you down size your carry you may already have what you need. That may even include the bag itself.

I love my tom bihn bag but I already had backpacks that would have fit my new, slimmer packing style. Using something you already have can point you in the direction of what you really want in a bag. For the durability, and smart design I think my bihn bag is worth it, but it would have been a pricey buy if I had later decided one bagging it "wasn't for me"., That way you can buy a 200+ bag from minaal/ go ruck/ bihn or whoever knowing it is the exact style you need.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of good ideas here, but ultimately itís going to be about how the bag fits you and what you can carry. A suggestion Iíve adopted is to buy the bags youíre considering, load them up with test carry, and then take a walk through your local mall. Return what doesnít work. (Admittedly, works best if youíre in the US where the return only costs $10)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My WF Halcyon was delivered monday but I was on a trip. Finally saw it today and I think it will work for me! It's not packed yet but the backpack straps feel like they're in the right place. I'm going to Europe next week from Sunday to Thursday and will be testing it out! I'm 4'9" and took a picture here. Bag recommendation needed for petite traveler-img_2724-jpg

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That size looks good! Always worth a test pack before you go, hope it works out!

For me, a key call would be whether I could get through the trip with the single pair of shoes/boots I wear on the plane
    I had been travelling enough that I eventually created a "go bag" kit of items I only wore while travelling; things like washable ultralight undergarments, smartwool layers and socks, compressible (non-padded) light running shoes, running shorts that could double as a swimsuit, packable down instead of fleece, etc. Also helped keep laundry day where it was, instead of always washing before a trip.

This is a terminology difference, since some of the airlines I fly would consider that size of item "cabin luggage" rather than a "personal item"
    Indeed some do; one bag is admittedly harder in some places, but the philosophy is the same. I imagine the Night Flight Duffle would be a better one-bag pick for places with smaller allowances. Alas, so much for extra shoes in that case.

For inspiration, I recommend finding some of the no-bag travel blogs and videos.
    I imagine I would be a nervous wreck; having "a" bag is like a blankie, I'd be constantly worrying where I had left it!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyeliza View Post
    My WF Halcyon was delivered monday but I was on a trip. Finally saw it today and I think it will work for me! It's not packed yet but the backpack straps feel like they're in the right place. I'm going to Europe next week from Sunday to Thursday and will be testing it out! I'm 4'9" and took a picture here. Bag recommendation needed for petite traveler-img_2724-jpg
    Thank you for sharing this photo. It's not infrequent that our customer service crew links to photos like yours when we're helping answer people's bag questions over email. Keep us posted on how it ends up working on your trip, and I hope you have a great time in Europe!
    Current Carry: The Hero's Journey, Skookum Dog Citizen Canine, Founder's Briefcase, Synapse 19 (day hikes), Guide's Pack (longer day hikes), Yeoman Duffel (winter/emergency stuff for the car), Aeronaut 30 (travel), Night Flight Travel Duffel (camera bag), Moveable Feast + Shop Bags (food)

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just chiming in belatedly... but I'm 4'10" and found the Aeronaut 30 was too bulky and heavy for me. My shoulders get tired too easily. I've been kind of wanting to try a WF for a long time, though.
    I used to have a list of TB bags here, but now I have too many...

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wondering whether a smaller pack, say a S19, for clothes, together with a Pilot for the laptop and papers.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyeliza View Post

Just bumping this thread as I too am a shortie and trying to decide between the WF and the Tristar. How was the trip, Heyeliza? Did the WF work well / how comfortable was it to haul around?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my favorite is a two-bag solution: makers for laptop & other flat things, night flight for clothes & sundries. both fit together under the seat, so no overhead needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2