Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question This Changes Everything: Anyone have a 2017 Thinkpad X1 Carbon?

There comes a time when everything changes. For some, it's having a baby or landing that new job. For others, it's getting that golden opportunity.

For me it's a new laptop. I'm not fancy.

For the past ~3 years, I've been rocking a Macbook Pro 15 inch. Over the Christmas holiday, it decided that it wanted to a motherboard replacement and since I can't be out of a laptop for 2 weeks while a part arrives in Mexico and is installed, I over-nighted a friend who was coming to visit a replacement: A brand new 2017 Thinkpad X1 Carbon (Linux FTW).

This changes everything, bag-wise. Besides dropping nearly 1.3 kg from my daily carry, it opens up whole new possibilities, including that of perhaps using a Tom Bihn Pilot. Though my screen is 14 inches, the actual dimensions of the laptop are darn close to that of a 13" Macbook.

I'm wondering if any other Thinkpadders have a similar device and what size cache they find works best? I'm seriously thinking about either a Tom Bihn Pilot or, perhaps, even a Ristretto or Synapse 19. My current EDC is waxed canvas, which while luxurious and stylish, is just kind of heavy. Recommendations and/or thoughts on what cache to use from anyone with a 5th gen X1 Carbon?

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 3rd Gen X1 Carbon for my work laptop (also running Linux ), and recently purchased a Ristretto as a personal-item bag to complement an S25 or A30 carry-on. I can confirm that the Carbon fits perfectly in the padded compartment (it's just the right size for the padded flap to fold right over the top of it). I could go on singing praises for the Ristretto if you're interested.

As far as Cache sizing, the dimensions on TB website are pretty accurate. However, I'd recommend sizing up just a tad, rather than trying to match the dimensions of the laptop exactly. This is especially true if the laptop has sharp corners that might scratch down the inside of the Cache as you slide it in. My personal laptop is 8.56 inches wide, and I opted for a Cache that was 8.6 inches; the fit is quite snug, but thankfully workable! I've noticed the Cache has loosened up just a bit after a few uses as well.

If the 5th Gen Carbon is similar enough to the 3rd Gen, though, the sharp corner scraping probably won't be an issue (the laptop looks very smooth and easy to slip in/out). Based on Lenovo's website, the Cache that best matches the dimensions for the 5th Gen Carbon is the "MacBook Air 13". Cache size of 8.9" by 12.8" compared to the laptop's advertised dimensions of 8.5" by 12.7". I don't see any other sizes that fit particularly with that laptop, but I would feel comfortable purchasing that size Cache for myself based on my experience with sizing, both vertical or horizontal.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 3rd or 4th gen X1 Carbon (there's a onelink connector on the left hand side) and it fits perfectly in a 6Z cache in my halcyon Pilot. I previously had a T420 and yes, it was a game changer for me too! Unfortunately I spilled water on the keyboard a couple weeks ago and it's been flaky since. Hoping my IT department can swap it out tomorrow.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing to add: Gen 5 is slightly smaller than Gen 3/4:

Gen 5: 12.74" x 8.55" x 0.63"
    Gen 4: 13.11" x 9.02" x 0.65"
    Gen 3: 13.03" x 8.92" x 0.70"

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent. Thanks, guys!

And @stopping, that's especially good to know since the newer model is only slightly different dimensions.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by habanero View Post
    I have a 3rd or 4th gen X1 Carbon (there's a onelink connector on the left hand side) and it fits perfectly in a 6Z cache in my halcyon Pilot. I previously had a T420 and yes, it was a game changer for me too! Unfortunately I spilled water on the keyboard a couple weeks ago and it's been flaky since. Hoping my IT department can swap it out tomorrow.
    FWIW, Thinkpads usually have a "keyboard drain." (They've had that for at least a decade, IIRC!) Rather than flipping the laptop upside down, leave it where it is and let it drain and it should be fine. Though if it's flaky, perhaps it was too much water for it to handle with that system.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank @bouncing - yeah I remember reading about the drain and did do that, but I think it just wound up to be too much.