Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aeronaut 30 Backpack Comfort

Hey Guys,

Iíve read some reviews indicating that the Aeronaut 30 can be uncomfortable when worn in backpack mode. Is this the experience of any users here?

Also, if you were going to pair the Aeronaut 30 with another Tom Bihn bag for Two Bag Travel which bag would you recommend?

By Two Bag Travel, I mean the Aeronaut 30 would primarily hold clothes, shoes, and toiletries while the second smaller bag would hold a 13Ē laptop, snacks, water bottle, jacket, etc. and could function as a day pack.

Thanks,
    Michael

Alabama
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpuser View Post
    Hey Guys,

Iíve read some reviews indicating that the Aeronaut 30 can be uncomfortable when worn in backpack mode. Is this the experience of any users here?

Also, if you were going to pair the Aeronaut 30 with another Tom Bihn bag for Two Bag Travel which bag would you recommend?

By Two Bag Travel, I mean the Aeronaut 30 would primarily hold clothes, shoes, and toiletries while the second smaller bag would hold a 13Ē laptop, snacks, water bottle, jacket, etc. and could function as a day pack.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Take a look at the 2018 wish list thread, specifically at Darcy's spoiler

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    "Not all who wander are lost"
    "Love people, use things, because the opposite never works" - The Minimalists
    Synapse 25 in Olive, Aubergine Side Effect, UV A30 PCBP, Sitka PCSB

Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the A30 in backpack mode is just fine for standard airport travel, by which I mean getting to the airport, walking around the airport, and then getting to your hotel/final destination. It's not designed to be a long-term hiking backpack, so it doesn't carry as nicely as some other backpacks, but I've found it quite comfortable enough for my purposes. If it was fully, heavily packed, I wouldn't want to walk around with it for more than half an hour, but I'm rarely putting in those miles on a standard airport trip.

With a *cough cough* internal frame of some sort, I'm sure it would be even better. Wink

The Pilot seems like a great complement to the A30, although I don't have one myself. The Daylight Briefcase is smaller and probably wouldn't fit a jacket along with the other items you mentioned, but I've successfully used it together with the A30 on several occasions.
    EDC: Side Kick/Medium Cafe Bag | WORK: Daylight Briefcase/Synik 22 | GYM: Truck | TRAVEL: Synik 22/Aeronaut 30

Forum Member
    Orlando, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never found the A30 comfortable in backpack mode. But I do find the A45 comfortable. I'm a 5'5" tall, 138 lb woman. I was totally surprised that the bigger bag was more comfortable packed with the same amount of stuff.

Atlanta, GA
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mid last year I purchased a Smart Alec because I found my A30 uncomfortable to wear in backpack mode for longer than 15 minutes. It's designed to be used as a duffel with detachable backpack straps, not a full-fledged backpack, so carry comfort will vary between person to person. When I got my SA, I test packed it with my typical A30 stuff and it was night and day difference in carry comfort for me. The A30 I always had to take off and place on the ground to give my shoulders and upper back a rest, and then put it back on again. Not so with the Smart Alec -- and I don't even have the hip belt for it. For sure an internal frame and an integrated hip belt would make a world of a difference for the A30's carrying comfort for me.

I recently was mis-shipped the wrong color small Yeoman Duffel and I am in love, let me tell you. It's slightly bigger than the Mini but the opening and width accommodate bigger items which I love. It's also pretty small looking so it'll fit under an airplane seat as well. I think the SA with a hacked Side Kick as an upper modular pocket in tandem with my small Yeoman will be my go-to two bag set up. I rarely need a day pack at my travel destination. If I did, I'd prefer the organization of a Synapse 19 for a day pack, so I'd use the S19 as my backpack in lieu of my A30 or Smart Alec and my small Yeoman for my clothes and shoes. A lot of people swear by the Daylight bags for travel day packs, but I need more built-in structure.

Long live Burnt Orange! Zest! 152!

Dallas, Texas
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without a doubt the smart Alec is more comfortable than the a30 in backpack mode. But I still reach for the A30 every time if I need to live out of the bag at my destination. Also, I like that with the A30, I can switch it up to hand or shoulder carry (with the absolute strap). It also depends on how heavy the bag is. Mine often weighs 25-30 pounds so I expect that it will tire my shoulders no matter what I do.

I love traveling with the smart Alec as my main bag, since it makes airport haulage more comfortable, but I only do that when I am going someplace that has a closet or drawers for my stuff. I really love the fact I can strap additional stuff (ukuleles!) to the outside of smart Alec which effectively increases its capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Donít make something unless it is both necessary and useful; but if it is both necessary and useful, donít hesitate to make it beautiful. ó Shaker Philosophy

Forum Member
    New Zealand
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find my A30 comfortable enough in backpack mode for things such as walking from train station to hotel, carrying around the airport etc. Due to airline rules for carry-on luggage in this part of the world, I keep the weight to under 7kg when flying. During recent travel in Japan, I did some shopping and the weight crept up a bit. A longer walk (20 minutes plus) with that weight would have been uncomfortable.
    A30 in original halcyon/wasabi. Side Kick in verde/northwest sky and cloud/viridian, Pop Tote in Mars Red, Travel Cubelet in Mars Red, A30 packing cube backpack in northwest sky, large travel tray in sitka, packing cubes, pouches and cubelets