Main TOM BIHN website

emailus@tombihn.com

COMMUNITY FORUMS

Welcome! We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

x

First, select your desired search engine:

• Google Search
  • DuckDuckGo
  • Original Forum Search Engine

User Tag List

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tempted by a Western Flyer--what's the thickest thing you've packed in one?

I'm tempted by a Western Flyer. I don't need one, my Synapse 25 is almost the same size, but it seems like the different layout would be handy sometimes.

One thing holding me back is I'm not entirely certain that my CPAP would fit. My CPAP's smallest dimension is 4.5", and it seems like the WF's compartments are probably about 3.5" wide. I think the CPAP would probably fit, stealing space from the other compartment and probably bulging out a little to the exterior as well--do you agree? What's the thickest thing you've packed in a Western Flyer, and how did that work out for you?

(I'm leaning toward halcyon for a Western Flyer, but haven't decided which color. I like Original Halcyon, I like Black Halcyon with Island, and although I didn't like Nordic at first, it has been growing on me...)
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had both but sold my WF. Awesome bag but I have a RED Oxx Mini boss which I liked better and could carry a bit more stuff. In my honest opinion I think the Synapse 25 can carry much more than a WF thus your CPAP would fit more easily in a Synapse 25.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a Zojirushi Mr. Bento lunch thermos that is about 5" dia. x 8.5" high in half of the front pocket. I also stuff a light windbreaker next to it in the same pocket. I only have a tablet in a cache in the back pocket.

You are right that the bulge steals space from the other compartment, then from the outside. I't really a matter of how you pack the bag to even it out.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imperator: thanks, it's good to have that confirmed! Plus it's always interesting to hear what others have packed into things.

Skipper: the CPAP does indeed fit easily in the Synapse 25, but that wasn't what I was asking about. I'm surprised you find that the WF holds less than the S25, though. I would think the WF would hold more because its volume isn't as divided up for organization.
    I have a bunch of great bags. Favorite color combos include Aubergine/Island, Navy/Solar, Forest/UV, Original Halcyon/Wasabi, Cloud/Viridian.

I've fulfilled my dream of palindromic-colored nested bags! Navy/Ultraviolet Pilot with Aubergine/Island Side Effect inside: blue purple purple blue. Forest/UV A45 with Aubergine/Wasabi Co-Pilot inside: green purple purple green.

Forum Member
    Canada
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but those pockets on the ouside of the Synapse can really hold alot of stuff and it doesn't impede the inside of the bag.

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried packing my S25 with the same stuff I can pack in a WF, but my gut feeling is opposite. I think that WF would hold more than S25. I guess I have to check

Forum Member
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting thread. I have the WF and it’s the love of my life, but recently got an S25 and assumed it would hold a bit less but would be good for 4 days or so (haven’t traveled with it yet). I fit a medium packing envelope into the back section of the WF that held all my clothes for an 11 day European trip and it was definitely 4” thick or slightly more.

Forum Member
    Michigan
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this goes back to the what and how you pack discussions from other threads; several covered the TS/WF vs A30. I know for a fact that what I pack in my WF for a 3 day work trip won't work in my S25 and its not because of the 1L difference but just the organization and layout of the bags. The WF is basically a cube with 2 identical sections while the S25 is an egg shape with 1 big area and several smaller areas.

Forum Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backpack profiles seem to be better for soft packing, the WF feels better for cube packing, JMHO. I like the organization of the WF, but I generally travel with things that are easily organized in the cubes. If I was dealing with a CPAP regularly I might change my strategy and my bag.

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, the shape of the bag plays a huge role in how well you can pack it. Some people seem to do fine with the Synapse "egg" shapes; I find it easier to work with rectangles. For example, I tried out both by Synapse 19 and my Night Flight Travel Duffel for a recent trip, and was able to get a lot more in the NFTD. Which I atribute to its shape, as they are both similar sizes (19 and 20 liters). My toiletry bag is also a squarish shape, as are my packing cubes, so that made a difference for me. I'd think it would be the same thing with the WF vs the S25.
    ----
    All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
    Edmund Burke

Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aedifica, I have the Western Flyer and have recently experimented with carrying my cpap in the forward right-side space, in an effort to eliminate that extra bag. It works well, though it's a fairly tight fit. My bag is Black Halcyon with Island and the halycon helps in a tight-fit situation. I put the AC cord/brick in one of the front flat pockets of the WF. Couldn't be happier with the WF and as others have said, the rectangular shape really maximizes packing capabilities.

Volunteer Moderator
    Boston; she/her
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, everyone! I have just about decided to get a WF when my tax refund comes in (and I've almost decided which color).